Various rehitnama quotes

The Khalsa is my form and I dwell in the Khalsa.

From the beginning of time, to all eternity, glory shines in the Khalsa.

Devoid of fantasy and all pretence, the Khalsa is our one true Guru.

-Gur sobha

He who refuses to have a poor person sit beside him should be roundly condemned as an offender.

-Tanakhah-nama, Bhai Nand Lal

He who does not give a tenth of his earnings to the Guru, and he who utters lies The word of Gobind Singh,O Nand Lal is that you should never put your trust in him.

Hear this Truth Nand Lal.

I shall establish my rule.

I shall merge the four castes into one.

I shall have all people repeat "Waheguru".

The enemy, once sighted shall be defeated.

One sikh will confront a host of 125,000

Spiritual liberation awaits that Singh who fights for me.

He is the Khalsa who destroyes the oppressos and helps the needy.

The Guru does not approve of the person who understands his command, but does not obey it.

-Rehitnama Bhai Prehlad Rai.

When it comes to the time of Rahiras, The Guru's command is that you should recite it with love in your heart.

He who with love uses his tongue shall find that the Guru appears in the words that he utters.

People are like sheep. Where one sheep goes there the others follow. Most people do likewise.

- Sakhi rehit ki, Bhai Nand Lal.

-(people of the world are like sheep) and because they are like sheep they recoil in fear whenever they encounter any difficulty.

- Sakhi rehit ki, Bhai Nand Lal.

• 6 years later...

I would like to add the Rehatname of Prehlad Singh, if anyone is interested in reading it:

Rehatnama Bhai Prahlad Singh Ji
Posted ImageThe 10th Master, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji

Taken from http://www.nihangsingh.org/blog/

While staying at Abchal Nagar in Maharashtra, before returning to the Abode of Truth (Sach Khand) Guru Gobind Singh Ji spoke the following to the royal court attendant (Hazoori Sevak) Bhai Prahlad Singh Ji.

ਹੁਕਮ ਹੋਆ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖ ਵਾਕ ਪਾ:੧੦ ਲਾਲ ਦਰਿਆਈ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਥਾਇ Command from the mouth of the Tenth King. Conversation with Bhai Lal Dariaie (of the Udasi’s)

ਦੋਹਰਾ Dohra

ਅਬਚਲ ਨਗਰ ਬੈਠੇ ਗੁਰੂ, ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਕੀਆ ਬੀਚਾਰ The Guru was sitting at Abchal Nagar (Sri Hazoor Sahib), the thought entered his mind.

ਬੋਲਿਆ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ, ਕਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਰਤਾਰ । ੧ । The perfect True Guru spoke, saluting the creator Lord.

ਹੁਕਮ ਹੋਯਾ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਬਿਪ੍ਰ ਜਾਤ ਹੰਸਰਾਇ Calling for Bhai Prahlad Singh, from the lineage of Hansrai.

ਨਿਕਟ ਬੁਲਾਯਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ, ਲੀਨਉ ਕੰਠ ਲਗਾਇ । ੨ । Coming near Guru Ji, he was embraced.

ਪੰਥ ਚਲਯੋ ਹੈ ਜਗਤ ਮੈਂ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ The (Khalsa) Panth has been brought to this world by the grace of Guru Nanak.

ਰਹਿਤ ਬਤਾਈੲ ਖਾਲਸੇ, ਸੁਣ ਭਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦ । ੩ । O’ Bhai Prahlad Singh, listen to the code of conduct for the Khalsa.

ਚੌਪਈ Chaupai

ਹੋਇ ਸਿਖ ਸਿਰ ਟੋਪੀ ਧਰੈ । ਸਾਤ ਜਨਮ ਕੁਸ਼ਟੀ ਹੁਇ ਮਰੈ If a Sikh wears a hat, he shall suffer through seven life times as a leper.

ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਗਲ ਮਹਿ ਤਾਗਾ ਮੇਲੈ । ਚੌਪੜ ਬਾਜ਼ੀ ਗਨਿਕਾ ਖੇਲੈ । ੪ । The Sikh who wears the Hindu thread around his neck, gambles or visits a prostitute,

ਜਨਮ ਸੁਆਨ ਪਾਵੈਗਾ ਕੋਟਿ । ਬੀਜਯੋ ਹਾਥ ਬੁਰਾ ਇਸ ਖੋਟ Shall be born as a dog a hundred thousand times, for the evil seed produces evil fruit.

ਪਾਗ ਉਤਾਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੈ । ਸੋ ਸਿਖ ਕੁੰਭੀ ਨਰਕ ਸਿਧਾਵੈ । ੫ । The Sikh who removes his turban while eating, goes to the worst of hells.

ਦੋਹਰਾ Dohra

ਮੀਣਾ ਔਰ ਮਸੰਦੀਆ, ਮੋਨਾ ਕੁੜੀ ਜੋ ਮਾਰ The Sikh who has dealings with the Mina’s, Masand’s, those who cut their hair or kill their daughter’s,

ਹੋਇ ਸਿਖ ਵਰਤਨ ਕਰਹਿ ਅੰਤ ਕਰੇਗਾ ਖੁਆਰ । ੬ । shall at their end suffer greatly.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੇ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਬਿਨ ਜਪੈ ਅਉਰ ਕੋਈ ਜਾਪ Do not meditate on any other mantar besides Vaheguru,

ਸੋ ਸਾਕਤ, ਸਿਖ ਮੂਲ ਨਹਿ , ਬਾਚਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖ ਆਪ । ੭ । That faithless person is not a Sikh, this is the command from the Guru’s mouth.

ਮੇਰਉ ਹੁਕਮ ਮਾਨਹਿ ਨਹੀਂ, ਕਰਹਿ ਨ ਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ They who do not follow my command’s and does not serve the Sikhs,

ਸੋ ਬੀਰਜ ਮਲੇਛ ਕੋ, ਪਰਗਟ ਪਛਾਨਹੁ ਭੇਵ । ੮ । Recognise that person as an unbeliever (of the Guru).

ਚੌਪਈ Chaupai

ਹੁਕਮ ਦੇਖਿ ਕਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਾਖੈ । ਗੋਲਕ ਗੋਪ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਮੁਖ ਭਾਖੈ Those who recognise my commands, but does not follow them and takes money from the Guru’s golak for their own false needs,

ਕਾਰ ਭੇਟ ਸੁਖ ਮੰਨਤ ਚੁਰਾਵੈ । ਐਸਾ ਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਹਿ ਭਾਵੈ । ੯ । The offerings have been presented in hopes of happiness. Those who take the the offerings are not Sikhs. (Those who steal from the Guru’s golaks are not Sikhs).

ਤੂਟ ਪਰਿਓ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੀ ਫਾਸੀ । ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ ਲਾਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀ Those caught in the net of Maya, are wandering through the 8.4 million life forms.

ਸੋ ਬੀਰਜ ਮਲੇਛ ਕੋ ਜਾਨ । ਸੁਣ ਭਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦ ਸੁਜਾਨ । ੧੦ । Realise the evil seeds of the faithless, listen O’ Bhai Prahlad Singh.

ਗੁਰੂ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਆਦਿ ਲੋਂ ਜੋ ਪਾਲੈ ਜਗ ਮੋਹ Those who have been born a Khalsa of the Guru but is still entangled in attachment,

ਸੋ ਸਾਕਤ ਨਰਕੀ ਸਦਾ, ਇਨ ਸੇ ਕਰੈ ਜੋ ਧ੍ਰੋਹ । ੧੧ । They are bound for hell, they only commit evil.

ਸੂਹੇ ਅੰਬਰ ਪਹਿਨ ਕਰ, ਜੋ ਨਾਸੇ ਨਸਵਾਰ The Sikh who wears red, or uses tobacco

ਲਗੇ ਤਾੜਨਾ ਸੀਸ ਪਰ, ਸੁਨੀਏ ਨਰਕ ਮੰਝਾਰ । ੧੨ । They will be beaten on their head and are headed towards hell.

ਬਿਨਾ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੇ, ਜੋ ਜੋਵਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ They who eat without reciting Japji Sahib and Jaap Sahib (Nitnem),

ਸੋ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਕਾ ਕਿਰਮ ਹੁਇ, ਜਨਮ ਗਵਾਵੈ ਬਾਦ । ੧੩ । Are no better then waste and are ruining their lives.

ਚੌਪਈ Chaupai

ਪ੍ਰਾਤਾ ਕਾਲ ਗੁਰ ਗੀਤ ਨ ਗਾਵੈ । ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੈ They are not Sikhs, those who do not sing the Guru’s songs, and eat without reciting Rehras.

ਬਾਹਰਮੁਖੀ ਸਿਖ ਤਿਸ ਜਾਨੋ । ਸਭ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਤਿਸ ਮਾਨੋ । ੧੪ । Recognise them as false Sikhs, all their actions are false.

ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ । ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਜਗ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੇ They will be stuck in the cycle of 8.4 million life forms, going through birth and death again and again.

ਗੁਰੂ ਬਚਨ ਸਿਉ ਤੂਟਾ ਜਾਇ । ਦਰਗਹਿ ਤਾਂਕਉ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ । ੧੫ । Those who do not follow the commands of the Guru, will not find the court of the Lord.

ਦੋਹਰਾ Dohra

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕਉ ਛਾਡ ਕਰਿ, ਭਜੈ ਦੇਵ ਕੋਈ ਅਉਰ They who leave Akaal Purkh, and start to worship Hindu deities,

ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰਹਿ, ਲਹਹਿ ਨ ਸੁਖ ਕੀ ਠਉਰ । ੧੬ । They will wander through birth after birth, and will never find true peace.

ਪਾਹਨ ਕੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰੈ, ਸਿਖ ਨ ਨਿਵਾਵਹਿ ਸੀਸ They who do idol worship and do not treat another Sikh with respect,

ਸੋ ਸਾਕਤ ਨਿਗੁਰਾ ਸਦਾ, ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਜਗਦੀਸ । ੧੭ । That person is forever without a Guru, and is destroyed by the Lord of the world.

ਕਰੀ ਥਾਪਨਾ ਜਾਸ ਕੀ, ਮੋਹ ਜੁ ਅਪਨੇ ਹਾਥਿ Those who claim to be equal to the creation made by the Guru’s hands

ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਸਮਸਰ ਜੋ ਕਰੈ, ਜਰ ਜਾਵਹਿ ਕੁਲ ਸਾਥਿ । ੧੮ । They will suffer for this mistake, along with their companions (followers).

ਕਾਰ ਭੇਟ ਸੁਖ ਮੰਨਤ ਕਰ, ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਚਿਤ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਇ The Sikh who promises to make an offering, but does not follow through,

ਸੋ ਸਾਕਤ ਪਾਪੀ ਸਦਾ, ਬਿਕਟ ਰੂਪ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ । ੧੯ । They will forever be a faithless sinner, in the most horrible form.

ਕੁੜੀਮਾਰ ਮਸੰਦ ਜੋ, ਮੀਣੇ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ By accepting food for those who kill their daughters, the Masand’s and Mina’s

ਲਏ ਜੁ ਇਨ ਕੇ ਹਾਥ ਕਾ, ਜਨਮ ਗਵਾਵਹਿ ਬਾਦ । ੨੦ । Eating from their hands, is a waste of the human birth.

ਛਾਡ ਸਿਖਨ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ਕਉ, ਲਏ ਪੰਥ ਜੋ ਅਉਰ Those who leave the holy feet of Sikhi and follow another panth,

ਐਥਹਿ ਓਥਹਿ ਦੁਖ ਲਹੈ, ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖਨ ਕੋ ਚੋਰ । ੨੧ । Finds pain here and hereafter. This is the fate of those who betray the Guru.

ਚੌਪਈ Chaupai

ਮੜੀ ਗੋਰ ਦੇਵਲ ਜੋ ਮਾਨੈ, ਪਰ ਪੰਥਨ ਕੋ ਊਚ ਬਖਾਨੈ They who worship at cremation grounds, tombs, or idols, or who promotes a misled path,

ਸੋ ਸਾਕਤ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਿਖ ਨਾਹੀ । ਫਾਸਿ ਪਰਯੋ ਜਮ ਕੰਕਰ ਪਾਹੀ । ੨੨ । They are faithless and are not a Sikh of the Guru, they are caught in the noose of death.

ਟੋਪੀ ਦੇਖਿ ਨਿਵਾਵਹਿ ਸੀਸ । ਸੋ ਸਿਖ ਨਰਕੀ ਬਿਸਵੈ ਬੀਸ They who salute someone wearing a hat (Muslim Imam), they are destined to hell.

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੈ । ਸੋ ਸਿਖ ਬੰਸ ਸਗਲ ਲੇ ਤਰੈ । ੨੩ । Serve the Immortal Being, and carry your family across the ocean of life.

ਦੋਹਰਾ Dohra

ਗੁਰੂ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਮਾਨੀਅਹਿ, ਪਰਗਟ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਦੇਹ Accept the Khalsa as the Guru, this is the Guru’s body.

ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਮੋ ਮਿਲਬੇ ਚਹਿਹ, ਖੋਜ ਇਨਹੁ ਮਹਿ ਲੇਹੁ । ੨੪ । Those Sikhs looking to find me, will see me in the midst of the Khalsa.

ਕਾਨ ਕਟੇ ਅਰ ਤੁਰਕ ਕਾ, ਕਰੈ ਨ ਮੂਲ ਵਿਸਾਹੁ Do not place faith in the Kanpatt Yogi, or in the Muslims,

ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਸੋਂ ਹਿਤ ਨ ਕਰਹਿ, ਸੋ ਨਰਕੇ ਪਰਿ ਜਾਹੁ । ੨੫ । That Sikh who doesn’t have faith in their heart, is destined for hell.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ, ਰਸਨਾ ਰਟਹਿ ਜੋ ਹੋਰ The hymns of the Guru’s contains the nectar, you won’t find it any where else,

ਸੋ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਕਾ, ਪੜਾ ਨਰਕ ਮਧ ਘੋਰ । ੨੬ । Being destroyed by the creator, you are destined for hell.

ਚੌਪਈ Chaupai

ਛੇ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਮਤ ਧਾਰੈ । ਕੁਲ ਸੰਬੂਹ ਲੈ ਨਰਕ ਸਿਧਾਰੈ They who put faith in the six darshans of the Hindu’s are headed to hell with their descendants.

ਬਾਝਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖਨ ਕਰੇ ਸੇਵਾ । ਮਿਥਿਆ ਮਾਨੋ ਸੁਰ ਨਰ ਦੇਵਾ । ੨੭ । Perform the seva of the Guru’s Sikhs, not the service of Gods, Goddess and false idols.

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤ ਏਹ । ਪਰਗਟ ਅਕਾਲ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਦੇਵ This is the visible image of the Immortal Being, the form of the Khalsa.

ਯਾਮੇਂ ਰੰਚ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਨਹਿ ਭਾਖੀ । ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਅੰਗਦ ਸਾਖੀ । ੨੮ । Nothing that has been spoken is false, Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Guru Angad Dev Ji bear witness.

ਦੋਹਰਾ Dohra

ਲੈਣਾ ਦੇਣਾ ਖਾਲਸੇ, ਆਨ ਦੇਵ ਸਭ ਝੂਠ Receive and give to the Khalsa, to give to idols is false.

ਅਉਰ ਦੇਵ ਇਵ ਮਾਨੀਏ, ਜਿਉਂ ਬਾਰੂ ਕੀ ਮੂਠ । ੨੯ । It is like sand running through your fingers.

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੇ ਬਚਨ ਸਿਉਂ, ਪਰਗਟ ਚਲਾਯੋ ਪੰਥ From the command of Akaal Purkh, has this path (Sikhi) appeared.

ਸਭ ਸਿਖਨ ਕੋ ਬਚਨ ਹੈ, ਗੁਰੂ ਮਾਨੀਅਹੁ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ । ੩੦ । The command for all the Sikhs is to accept the Granth Sahib as your Guru.

ਥਾਪ ਚਲਯੋ ਜੋ ਜਗਤ ਮੈਂ ਤਿਨਹਿ ਨਿਵਾਵਉ ਮਾਥ It has been delivered to the world, and all should salute the Granth (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji).

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੇ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਬਿਨ, ਮਿਥਿਆ ਸਾਰੀ ਗਾਥ । ੩੧ । Without the Vaheguru mantar, all singing is false.

ਸਿਖ ਕਉ ਸਿਖ ਜਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੀਨਾ । ਕੋਟਿ ਅਸੁਮੈਧ ਜਗ ਫਲ ਕੀਨਾ When the Sikhs initiate another Sikh with Amrit, the blessings are more then thousands of Hindu horse sacrifices (Asumaidh).

ਜੋ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਿਖ ਗਾਵੈ । ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਪਾਵੈ । ੩੨ । Those Sikhs who sing the Guru’s hymns, they find liberation while still alive.

ਚਾਪੀ ਕਰੋ ਮਲਹਿ ਸਿਖ ਚਰਨਾ । ਤਿਸ ਸਿਖ ਕੋ ਮੈਂ ਲੀਨੋ ਸਰਨਾ The Sikh, who massages the feet of another Sikh, I take that Sikh into my sanctuary.

ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸਿਖ ਮੁਖ ਪਾਵੈ । ਤਿਸ ਸਿਖ ਪੈ ਗੁਰ ਵਾਰਨੇ ਜਾਵੈ । ੩੩ । The Sikh who feeds another Sikh, also goes to the Guru’s fraternity.

ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਸਮੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੁਕਮ ਕੋ, ਪਢਹਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸਤ ਭਾਉ This is the command of the Guru, recite Rehras with true love in your heart,

ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਸਹਿਤ ਰਸਨਾ ਰਟਹਿ, ਪਰਗਟ ਮਿਲਹਿ ਮੁਹਿ ਆਉ । ੩੪ । They who recite it with love, will meet the Guru this way.

ਬਚਨ ਪ੍ਰਤੀਤ ਰਖਹਿ ਸਿਖ ਜੋਈ । ਤੈਸੋ ਹੀ ਫਲ ਪਰਾਪਤ ਹੋਈ The Sikh who keeps love for the Guru’s command, will reap the fruit of this.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਬਚਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਮੂਰਤ, ਭੁਗਤ ਮੁਕਤ ਵਰ ਸਾਚੋ ਪੂਰਤ । ੩੫ । The Guru’s teachings is the Guru’s form, from this receive all pleasures, liberation and desires.

ਰਹਿਣੀ ਰਹਹਿ ਸੋਈ ਸਿਖ ਮੇਰਾ, ਵਹ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਮੈਂ ਉਸ ਕਾ ਚੇਰਾ That Sikh who lives the code of conduct is my Sikh, They are my Master, I am their disciple.

ਕਰਹਿ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਆਸਾ । ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕਟ ਡਾਰੈ ਫਾਸਾ । ੩੬ । Place your faith in the Immortal Being, the noose of birth and death will be cut.

ਸਤਿ ਅਕਾਲ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ, ਧਰਮ ਬੀਜ ਯਹ ਮੰਤ The true Immortal Being, Sri Vaheguru, is the root mantar of all righteousness.

ਸਰਬ ਜਾਪ ਕਉ ਜਾਪੁ ਇਹ, ਕਹਿਓ ਆਦਿ ਅਰ ਅੰਤ । ੩੭ । Reciting and meditating on all mantars is contained in this (Vaheguru Mantar), spoken from the beginning till the end of time.

ਸੰਬਤ ਸਤ੍ਰਹ ਸੈ ਭਏ, ਬਰਖ ਬਵੰਜਾ ਨਿਹਾਰ Sambat 1752 has arrived

ਮਾਘ ਵਦੀ ਥਿਤਿ ਪੰਚਮੀ, ਰਵਿਵਾਰ ਸੁਭ ਵਾਰ । ੩੮ । Sunday, the fifth day of the dark half of the month of Magh.

Reading this the valid comment on the dating of it has come up. Can anyone accurately say when 1752 Bikrami was in AD?

Apart from that it seems like it would have occurred during 1708 and be written possibly around that time or later. I have seen two different versions of this rehatnama on the net, and the other version does not include any date to it and ends on verse 37.  Was it common for rehatname to include year of composition?