Letter Of Chivalry - Fatehnama

In the name of the Almighty who is the Lord of the sword and axe.

In the name of the Almighty Lord of arrow, spear and the shields.

The one who is the Lord of the warriors and the Lord of the flying steeds.

The One who has bestowed the monarchy upon you, has also commissioned me as the protector of righteousness.

You rely on your pretence and deceit, but I depend only on the purity and truth of the mind.

Your name Aurangzeb does not justify you, as the ones who adorn the throne do not dwell on deception.

Your rosary has no more significance than beads and thread, because you have transformed the beads into bait and the thread into a net.

With your wile deed you have knead the soil of your father with the blood of your brother.

And that is how you have raised a fragile palace of your reign.

Now I will, with the Grace of God, brandish the two headed sword that will shine like lightning in the rainy season.

You have met with failure in the mountains of the south (Deccan) and also come back thirsty (dejected) from Mewar.

But now when you turn your eyes towards me (face me, in North) all your thirst and bitterness will subside.

I will plague you so much that you will not be able get a drop of water to drink in Punjab.

It matters not that the wily jackal has cunningly managed to kill the lion’s two cubs (children).

Because the raging lion is still alive and will take his vengeance.

I will not give credence to your pledges as I have now verified your Allah (God) and his Scriptures.

I have no trust left on your pledges; I have no alternative but to wield the sword.

Even if you claim to be a clever wolf, I will see that the lion remains outside your net.

Even now, if you want to converse with me, then I will show you the pious and straight path.

Let the armies on both sides draw up opposite each other.

And let there remain a distance of two furlongs between them.

After this, I will come out alone in the battlefield and you may come out with two horsemen (bodyguards).

You have matured under affection and blessings and singly have not faced any brave warrior.

Come forward armed with a sword and axe and have a duel (with me)! What is the use in destroying God’s creation (innocent people)?