Panjabi Vocabulary Builder Thread

dalsingh101

* ਦਿਰ੍ਸ਼ ਤ ਕੋਨ - drisht(i)kon - I know this one I think: "From the perspective of"

* ਪੂਰਾ ਤੱਤ ਬੇਤਾ - pura tat betta - Knower of all elements?

Edited by dalsingh101

Yes indeed, 'point of view' (drish = view, kon = angle)

I don't think ਪੂਰਾ ਤੱਤ ਬੇਤਾ is that. I read it in some science book ages ago, it has something to do with archeology. Maybe it means archeological or something like that.

However nowadays we don't know if some words are not Sanskrit and not really Punjabi, I have seen an increase of Sanskrit vocabulary to weaken the Punjabi language in textbooks of Punjab schools.

What about the other two?

Dalsingh:

haha no not really, my vocabulary is very limited. I just meant that you've been trying for a year to kickstart this thread without much luck :D

I thought it worked quite well actually. It's very select mind you....

<sniffs snobbishly and turns his head away>

Okay people, what are:

ਅਨੋਖੀਆਂ ?

ਟੱਪਲਾ

As in - ਸੱਜਣ ਟੱਪਲਾ ਖਾ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ

Edited by dalsingh101

* ਕੰਜ / ਕੰਜਕ - 'innocent virgin girl' (whatever that is supposed to mean haha)

* ਨਿਰਖ - price, rate

Yours:

ਅਨੋਖੀਆਂ - plural of anokha (= unique things)

ਟੱਪਲਾ - tapla khana is same as phulekha lagna, means to get confused/mistaken

Edited by SikhKhoj

I don't think ਪੂਰਾ ਤੱਤ ਬੇਤਾ is that. I read it in some science book ages ago, it has something to do with archeology. Maybe it means archeological or something like that.

Laal Singh, you ever come across this one?

However nowadays we don't know if some words are not Sanskrit and not really Punjabi, I have seen an increase of Sanskrit vocabulary to weaken the Punjabi language in textbooks of Punjab schools.

To be honest bhai ji, I'm not surprised. Languages always seem to go through such phases. It's a fallacy to consider languages as some static entities that don't alter over time. My fear however is that we are going to lose the understanding of some of the more archaic/colloquial words/phrases used in our literature pretty soon. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this may become an issue. I often find words in material I'm reading that isn't covered in any dictionary.

* ਕੰਜ / ਕੰਜਕ - 'innocent virgin girl' (whatever that is supposed to mean haha)

I came across ਕੰਜ as barren (cow, buffalo or woman) but not as above. Without sounding too ਅਸ਼ਲੀਲ I wonder if the word is related to ਕੰਜਰੀ in it's etymology?? lol

In any case ਕੰਜ ਕੁੜੀਆ (your definition) seem to be becoming less and and less common in our ਸਮਾਜ these days.... he he he

Yours:

ਅਨੋਖੀਆਂ - plural of anokha (= unique things)

ਟੱਪਲਾ - tapla khana is same as phulekha lagna, means to get confused/mistaken

Good going man! ਅਨੋਖਾ seems to be a synonym for ਅਜੀਬ. Or does the former imply 'unusual' and the latter the more derogatory 'weird'?

Edited by dalsingh101

Yes, languages do go through such phases but isn't it strange that we people who studied in the 60s don't understand many words in todays textbooks? (1966: creation of Punjabi suba and educational programme changed).

On the other side of the border, the same is happening. Too many Urdu and Persian words have crept into Pakistani Punjabi vocabulary. Yes it is true that many of our words come from other languages: kursi (Arabic), sabzi (Turkish), pehelvaan (Persian), etc BUT why replace words of our OWN language with that of others?

Yes I had never heard that word used in this context before but if Dictionary Sahib says it, it must be right.

Haha I was wondering the same about ਕੰਜ - ਕੰਜਰੀ relation when I discovered this word. Really no idea.

Not really a synonym. Would you say that strange and unique are synonyms? Because as you put it, ਅਨੋਖਾ is positively unusual, while ਅਜੀਬ is kind off strange/weird.

* ਆਲਣਾ - habitat/nest

* ਮਾਈ ਬੁੱਢੀ ਦੀ ਪੀਣਗ - Never heard of a ਪੀਣਗ before?

* ਰੁਕਾਨ - ???

* ਮੁੰਡੀਰ - A gang of boys

* ਆਲਣਾ - habitat/nest

Thats right.

* ਮਾਈ ਬੁੱਢੀ ਦੀ ਪੀਣਗ - Never heard of a ਪੀਣਗ before?

Same as Satrangi peeng - rainbow.

* ਰੁਕਾਨ - ???

Same as ਨਾਰ ਜਾਂ ਮੁਟਿਆਰ.

* ਮੁੰਡੀਰ - A gang of boys

That is right. My father always tells me that is specifically used for boys in puberty or just after. (13-20)

ਹਾਂ ਬੀ ਮੁੰਡਿਆ, ਕਾਫੀ ਗਯਾਨ ਆ ਤੇਨੁ

It means top / best / highest. Literally it means 'high peak'. We often say ਉਚ ਕੋਟੀ ਦਾ ਵਿਦਵਾਨ as in a very learned, proficient scientist.

Is 'high standard' a literal translation?

What does this mean: ਸਾਹਿਤ

Give it to us in context.

it occours many times in Pyara Singhs book, but here is another context:

ਸਾਹਿਤ ਦੀ ਪਰਿਭਾਸ਼ਾ,

ਸਰੂਪ, ਸ਼ੈਲੀ ਅਤੇ ਉਦੇਸ਼ ਆਦਿਕ ਵਿਸ਼ਿਆਂ

ਉੱਪਰ ਪੂਰਬ ਪੱਛਮ ਵਿਚ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਵਟਾਂਦਰਾ

ਉਦੋਂ ਦਾ ਚੱਲ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ,

ਜਦੋਂ ਦੀ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਭਰੋਸੇਯੋਗ ਲਿਖਣ ਸਮੱਗਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋ ਸਕੀ ਹੈ।

Sahit di Pirbaashaa?

Edited by amardeep

I think ਸਾਹਿਤ means art/literature?

Does it make sense in context?

it occours many times in Pyara Singhs book, but here is another context:

ਸਾਹਿਤ ਦੀ ਪਰਿਭਾਸ਼ਾ,

ਸਰੂਪ, ਸ਼ੈਲੀ ਅਤੇ ਉਦੇਸ਼ ਆਦਿਕ ਵਿਸ਼ਿਆਂ

ਉੱਪਰ ਪੂਰਬ ਪੱਛਮ ਵਿਚ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਵਟਾਂਦਰਾ

ਉਦੋਂ ਦਾ ਚੱਲ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ,

ਜਦੋਂ ਦੀ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਭਰੋਸੇਯੋਗ ਲਿਖਣ ਸਮੱਗਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋ ਸਕੀ ਹੈ।

Sahit di Pirbaashaa?

Amended with info from Khoji:

The definition of literature, its form, style and purpose and other subjects

The exchange of ideas between north, east and west

Has been taking place, since we have been able to acquire reliable writing tools.

What is ਵਿਸ਼ਿਆਂ

????

Edited by dalsingh101

Its a term from the Bhagavad Gita and refers to liberation through doing good deeds without caring for the fruits of one's actions (hereby entering a state of neutralness wher you just do sewa for the welfare of others and not for any perosnal benefits)

Edited by amardeep

• 3 weeks later...