Intelligent Inspiration

shaheediyan

I would like to recommend this excellent book to the sangat here who have an interest in 'excellence'.

It marries two of my passions together - chess and martial arts - and is written by an ex-child prodigy of Chess who was once identified as being a possible replacement for the legendary Bobby Fischer (my all time fave Grand Master). He later went on to become a world champion in the highly competitive Tai Chi Chuan push hands arena.

Josh demytifies many things and propogates the art of 'learning' and shows how it is transposable to any field.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Learning-Journey-Optimal-Performance/dp/0743277465

And for those of you that love Chess - no better way to think like GM than be inspired by one:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=15940

On another note - I would like to quote the below pangati of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and request all Singhs here to plant it deep in their heart and let it germinate in the New Gregorian Year by finding and learning a real combat art (weapons and open hand) with dedication, passion and intelligence - and be ever ready to comfortably defend yourself and yours. With a good level of skill and rehit of practice, you will find yourself to be a much calmer and thoughtful individual - with the knowledge you have nothing to prove. Also - please promote this lifestyle change to those around you.

ਪਾਹੁਲ ਖੰਡੇ ਕੇਰ ਛਜੱਈਏ । ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਿਦ੍ਯਾ ਸਬੈ ਸਿਖੱਈਏ ।

Take Khandey Di Pahul and all should learn Shastar Bidiya [the science of arms].

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਫਤੇ ਗਜੱਈਏ । ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਤਨ ਸਜਵੱਈਏ ॥੪੦॥

Chant Vahiguru Ki Fateh [The victory is the Lords], and adorn yourself with weapons and clothes.

ਸਿਖ੍ਯਾ ਜੰਗ ਕਰਨ ਕੀ ਦੱਈਏ । ਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਮ ਇਨਿ ਕੇ ਰਖਵੱਈਏ ।

Give the teachings of how to wage war, in this way you shall retain the name Singh.

ਗਾਥ ਬੀਰ ਰਸ ਸੀ ਸੁਨਵੱਈਏ ।

Listen to the stories which inspire 'Bir Ras' [warrior spirit].

[Naveen Panth Prakash, pg. 1571, Vol. 3]

http://www.manglacharan.com/p/tradition.html

Edited by shaheediyan

nice one shaheediyan bro. im rubbish at chess, but i think that you have to have a certain level of intelligence, to play this game. as a game or sport, chess is a quite forgotten game, now we have world of warcraft and ps3's and whatnot. Im rubbish at them games as well.

is there an ideal age to introduce a child to chess? son is 7, but is this too young?

Seems like you lack a little confidence bro, thats unbecoming of

a Singh... :-(

Chess is not a difficult game to play and neither is training in martial arts. The only thing that is somewhat difficult is progression and understanding/application at a higher level, and I don't believe this requires as much intelligence as it does dedicatio/practice/an open mind and discipline.

7 years old is a great age to introduce chess and martial arts. But these things are a regular part of your homelife, then your kids will be dabbling in them from the moment they take there 1st step.