Jaikara & Nishan Of Guru Nanak Sahib

Guest zulu

Nihang singh's hate 'bole sonihal' jaikara, they say ones such as these

listen at 30secs

http://www.sikhawareness.com//index.php?showtopic=12631

there is a topic on sikhsangat if you do a search with many different nishaan sahibs and paintings but I am not a member so I cannot find it.

There are no contemporary sources as far as I know to say that Guru Nanak had a nishaan with him nor of the jaikaras of Guru Hargobind.. Its oral tradition (however dont undertone the importance of oral traditions, as they can be very valuable) which was maybe written down later in the 18th - 19th century

Edited by amardeep

I see. Thanks.

Any idea when the usage of Sikh greeting Sat Kartar- Kartar Kartar was ''discarded''.

And how people started saying Sat sri akaal instead of Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh?

Whilst we are on the subject what about the instructions to 'Guru Guru Jap' in hukam namas as opposed to Waheguru, anyone shed some light?

Sat Siri Akal is obvious an abbreviation of the Jaikara which some people must have used as a greeting at some point?

Edited by dalsingh101

Dal Singh, that doesnt make sense, how can a warcry become a greeting. We need to research this.

Amardeep, don't Janamsakhis say 'Kartar Kartar - Sat Kartar'?

I read in some Goras account that when the Singhs say the gurfateh they don't fold their hands.

Dal Singh, that doesnt make sense, how can a warcry become a greeting. We need to research this.

Just a theory, but maybe at some point people said:

'Jo boley so nihal' on meeting Sikhs, which was responded to with

'Sat Sri Akal'

In time just the 'Sat Sri Akal' bit stuck.

????

It does however see to be a modern trend. No old account I know of mentions SSA.

Well yeah a theory, but kind off odd, using warcry as a greeting.

Well if we look at the meaning:

'Jo bole so nihal': S/he who speaks it, becomes fulfilled (?? any better interpretations of nihal folks?)

'Sat Sri Akal': The eternal Lord is truth.

It sort of suggests, that saying Sat Sri Akal brings fulfillment upon the person that speaks it? Maybe this is the genesis of it's more common usage amongst us? Using the phrase seems to be considered rewarding?

I notice SSA is also closer to the 'Sat Kartar' mentioned by Amardeep.

I know, it's purely conjecture by the way. lol

Talking from personal experience, growing up, SSA was used infinitely more than fateh.

Maybe the point to draw is the common Sikh greetings seem to have gone through a number of changes over time? Is this something that might happen again in future I wonder?

Edited by dalsingh101

What i've noticed is that mostly amritdharis say Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh while sehajdharis say Sat Sri Akal....

Maybe in the sense that Sat sri Akal is the common greeting amongst Sikhs, but amritdharis prefer the original greeting, hence they say Fateh while majority stick to tradition (sat sri akal)