Sikh Spies In Mughal Wars

Hi there

I'm doing some research for a fictional book I want to write where the main characters are Sikhs throughout history. Someone once mentioned to me that they heard a story about Sikh's cutting their hair and acting as spies against the Mughals during the wars. Can anyone else provide any more information on this? And did anything similar happen during the Anglo Sikh wars in the mid 1800's?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

I've not heard about Sikhs cutting their hair like you mentioned above but there was certainly at least one Sehajdhari Sikh who worked for the Moghuls but helped the Khalsa, he is now known as Diwan Kaura Mal. He was quite a high ranking figure who also appeared to work as a mediator between his employers (the Moghuls) and brethren in faith (Sikhs). I think he brokered an arrangement for Sikhs to fight alongside some Moghuls against a foreign invader once.

With regards to the Anglo-Sikh war, in the controversial book about Hazoor Sahib by Niddar Singh and Paramjit Singh Madra, it mentions that Maharajah Ranjit SIngh had a network of spies who traveled through India disguised as itinerant sadhus/holymen to pass on messages between rulers. I think there were also number of deserter sepoys from the East India Company forces that were enlisted into the Lahore army.

I've not heard about Sikhs cutting their hair like you mentioned above but there was certainly at least one Sehajdhari Sikh who worked for the Moghuls but helped the Khalsa, he is now known as Diwan Kaura Mal. He was quite a high ranking figure who also appeared to work as a mediator between his employers (the Moghuls) and brethren in faith (Sikhs). I think he brokered an arrangement for Sikhs to fight alongside some Moghuls against a foreign invader once.

With regards to the Anglo-Sikh war, in the controversial book about Hazoor Sahib by Niddar Singh and Paramjit Singh Madra, it mentions that Maharajah Ranjit SIngh had a network of spies who traveled through India disguised as itinerant sadhus/holymen to pass on messages between rulers. I think there were also number of deserter sepoys from the East India Company forces that were enlisted into the Lahore army.

It is entirely plausible that the Udasis and Nirmalas who escaped Mughal persecution by passing themselves off as 'Hindus' were the Khalsa's earliest intelligence agency. Take a look at this link it might set us hunting in the right direction.

http://tisarpanth.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/camouflage-udasis-and-nirmalas-during.html?q=nirmalas

There is a novel by Stephen Alter, 'Silk and Steel' which according to my info deals with Sikh-Muslim conflict in historic times. Possibly worth a read??? What say you Dal Singh Ji 101?

I'd never heard of that book before today.