Unresearched Page Of Itihaas

Mehtab Singh

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Not sure if this is the right section, so please move in case I've erred.

Haven't been on here in several ages, but had this one question, or quest you may say, which brought me here after running around all over the world wide web, unable however, to fetch an answer. So I am here, hoping I could get some help?

Going back all the way back to 1675, we know that there was a delegation of Kashmiri Pandits who came to Sri Anandpur Sahib at the feet of Sahib Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Patshah Ji Maharaj. We also know that this delegation was led by Pandit Kirpa Ram Dutt from Mattan, Srinagar. What I do know is that his father Pandit Aru Ram Dutt was a shardhalu of Sahib Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee Maharaj, his grandfather Pandit Narain Das Dutt was a shardhalu of Sahib Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee Maharaj, and his great grandfather Pandit Brahm Das Dutt was a shardhalu of Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Patshah Jee Maharaj. This Pandit Brahm Das Dutt is the same person who used to carry loads of books and was very arrogant and egoistic about his knowledge, and when Guru Sahib uttered the Shabad ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਗਡੀ ਲਦੀਅਹਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਭਰੀਅਹਿ ਸਾਥ ॥ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਬੇੜੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਗਡੀਅਹਿ ਖਾਤ ॥ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਬਰਸ ਬਰਸ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਮਾਸ ॥ ਪੜੀਐ ਜੇਤੀ ਆਰਜਾ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਸਾਸ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਲੇਖੈ ਇਕ ਗਲ ਹੋਰੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਝਖਣਾ ਝਾਖ ॥ he fell at Guru Sahib's feet. I also know that Pandit Kirpa Ram Dutt stayed in the Darbar of Guru Gobind Rai after the Shaheedi of Sahib Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji Maharaj. Here he was a court poet where he translated different works from Farsi to Braj as most of the Kashmiri Pandits were fluent in Persian. One of the books that Pandit Kirpa Ram translated that is the 12th century Kimiye-ye-sadat by Muhammad Al Ghazali. Finally, he took Amrit in 1699 and was one of the Shaheeds at the battle of Chamkaur Sahib and is known ever since as Bhai Kirpa Singh (Dutt), as did his brother Shaheed Bhai Sanmukh Singh (Dutt) who was earlier perhaps Sanmukh Ram or Sanmukh Das.

We know that dushts like Gangu ended up settling in Punjab, near Morinda in the village called Saheri and today called Kheri. My questions are as follows:

A.) is it possible that Bhai Kirpa Singh Ji's descendants also settled some place in Punjab? If yes, any idea where? Like roughly?

B.) were they all Sikhs, as in all embraced Sikhi, or did some of them remain Hindus?

C.) most importantly, is there any record of their names, like the next few generations?

The only Sikhs with surname Dutta (considered same as Dutt) I have come across are from Jammu Kashmir area. Perhaps some of them are those descendants of Bhai Kirpa Singh who became Sikhs? Because from what I know, Dutt or Dutta is in no way an ethnic Kashmiri Brahmin surname, its proper Punjabi Brahmin. The only other Dutts/Duttas are Bengali Kayasths (non-Brahmin).

By the way, you all probably know that Gangu later fled to Allahabad, was killed by Singhs in 1710, his descendants moved to Delhi and served the Mughals and then the British and are the ruling diabolical Gandhi clan today.

Thanks so much in advance, any historic input will be greatly appreciated. I am not really sure where to turn to in order to find out all this. Maybe some day when I have time (& $$$) I can perhaps try going to Kashmir possibly to find out more, lol. But as of now my sole source is the net.

Mehtab Singh

Edited by Mehtab Singh

My suggestion to you would be contact Jammu Kashmir Singh Sabha and see if you can get any information, this is really interesting and i shall also try to find out . A friend of mine is a Singh Brahman lineage and of the same community possibly. If i come across anything shall surely let you know.

Siri Akaal Sahaai

• 1 year later...