The Hanuman Natak

Genie Singh

I'm posting this up for the writer who has put up his ebook for proofreading and general reading purposes:

Vahiguru ji ka Khalsa Vahiguru ji ki fateh! With Guru ji's kirpa this my first edition of the Hanūmān Nāṭak, the second edition will contain the transliteration, and the third a translation. I have been painstakingly typing this text over the years, its about 380 pages now. I have proof read it, but I am sure there are mistakes, so if you find any please be kind enough to send me a message with the details. Last night was a long night, like much of the week, as I was up till 6 am proof reading and checking the text of Hanūmān Nāṭak for mistakes! Many thanks to Indy Saggu for his help.

The current document contains the following:

1. What is Hanūmān Nāṭak?

The Hanūmān Nāṭak is a play about Ram Chandra written in verse by the poet Hirdaya Ram Bhalla.

2. Guru Gobind Singh and the Hanūmān Nāṭak

In 1679 the Guru installed a huge kettledrum called the ‘Ranjīt Nagāṛā’ which was beaten every morning and evening. Then every evening with the beat of drum the Guru would go hunting. The following year he issued hukamnāme asking the sangat to make offerings of books, horses, and weapons. One of the first books Guru Gobind Singh fell in love with was the famous Hanūmān Nāṭak by Hirdaya Ram Bhalla given to him by Bhai Nand Lal. It is a vigorous work full of bīr ras (warrior spirit), with expert use of Sanskritised Braj Bhasha, containing a total of fourteen chapters. It also contains knowledge of shastravidiā (martial arts), battle tactics, and extols the virtue of loyalty.

3. The Dasam Granth Sahib and Hanūmān Nāṭak

Infact to credit the poet genius of Hirdaya ‘Ram’ Bhalla, the Guru preserved the pen-name of as Ram in the passages of the Dasam Granth Sahib that sound and read the same as the Hanūmān Nāṭak. In Indian poetry the use of a pen-name or takhallus was so common that today large dictionaries of pseudonyms exist. As the Hanūmān Nāṭak was presented to the Tenth Guru before he wrote the bulk his Granth.

4. Hanūmān Nāṭak and the Pre-colonial Education System in the Punjab

Gurmukhi schools were run by the village Gurdwaras or Dharmsalas. The syllabus according to contemporary accounts, and still found in the samaprada, comprises of the Balopadesa, the Panj Granthī, the Janamsākhī, Hanūmān Nāṭak and Bachitra Nāṭak.

5. The Buddha Dal and Hanūmān Nāṭak

When I first met the Akali Nihang Singh Khalsa leader, Jathedar Akali Nihang Baba Santa Singh 96 Crori, I was well aware of the numerous copies of the Hanūmān Nāṭak in manuscript collections, and references to it in Sikh history. He told me that this work was taught to a student before the santhiā of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib. This makes perfect sense as manuscript evidence shows that Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu Shahid, learnt this epic from an unbroken lineage originating back the the Guru’s Court. Later on after doing some basic training in shastravidiā with various Ustads in the Panjab, I also came to learn that this work contained battle tactics, as well as some verses that were recited during duels, and in training. There is a paintra to use with heavy weapons in shastravidiā which came from the Hanuman Akhara, which also involves breaks, locks, and powerful blows, which was later modified by Baba Katorh Singh. The Hanūmān Nāṭak is also read in the Dam Dami Taksal, Sewapanthi, Nirmala, and Udasi Sampradas.

6. Complete Text of Hanūmān Nāṭak by Hirdaya Ram Bhalla

I have published this work under Archimedes Press Ltd, which is a UK registered not for profit company. It is completely FREE but there are two other books you can purchase there by Gurinder Singh Mann and I.HTTP://WWW.ARCHIMEDESPRESS.CO.UK/

Sponsor Us

If you like this work and want to help me to publish more books for free, you might want to consider helping via the following:
1. Proof reading
2. Sponsor printing
3. Help typing or donate for typing
4. Help type-setting or donate for type-setting
5. Help research or donate for research

Please contact me at Kamalroop_singh@hotmail.com or inbox me on facebook.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/205998072/Hanuman-Natak-in-Gurmukhi-by-Hirdaya-Ram-Bhalla

10th Guru eulogised the same person for whom you have nothing but denigration.

This is the first time, you have actually said something sensible on this forum. Sorry the second, the first was your post about Sri Ram Chander and honorifics. Hope you can keep this up.

Maybe you can make it a hat-trick, when I ask you why you denigrate Guru Granth Sahib, after 10th Guru gave it the status of Guru after himself?

I'm posting this up for the writer who has put up his ebook for proofreading and general reading purposes:

Vahiguru ji ka Khalsa Vahiguru ji ki fateh! With Guru ji's kirpa this my first edition of the Hanūmān Nāṭak, the second edition will contain the transliteration, and the third a translation. I have been painstakingly typing this text over the years, its about 380 pages now. I have proof read it, but I am sure there are mistakes, so if you find any please be kind enough to send me a message with the details. Last night was a long night, like much of the week, as I was up till 6 am proof reading and checking the text of Hanūmān Nāṭak for mistakes! Many thanks to Indy Saggu for his help.

The current document contains the following:

1. What is Hanūmān Nāṭak?

The Hanūmān Nāṭak is a play about Ram Chandra written in verse by the poet Hirdaya Ram Bhalla.

2. Guru Gobind Singh and the Hanūmān Nāṭak

In 1679 the Guru installed a huge kettledrum called the ‘Ranjīt Nagāṛā’ which was beaten every morning and evening. Then every evening with the beat of drum the Guru would go hunting. The following year he issued hukamnāme asking the sangat to make offerings of books, horses, and weapons. One of the first books Guru Gobind Singh fell in love with was the famous Hanūmān Nāṭak by Hirdaya Ram Bhalla given to him by Bhai Nand Lal. It is a vigorous work full of bīr ras (warrior spirit), with expert use of Sanskritised Braj Bhasha, containing a total of fourteen chapters. It also contains knowledge of shastravidiā (martial arts), battle tactics, and extols the virtue of loyalty.

3. The Dasam Granth Sahib and Hanūmān Nāṭak

Infact to credit the poet genius of Hirdaya ‘Ram’ Bhalla, the Guru preserved the pen-name of as Ram in the passages of the Dasam Granth Sahib that sound and read the same as the Hanūmān Nāṭak. In Indian poetry the use of a pen-name or takhallus was so common that today large dictionaries of pseudonyms exist. As the Hanūmān Nāṭak was presented to the Tenth Guru before he wrote the bulk his Granth.

4. Hanūmān Nāṭak and the Pre-colonial Education System in the Punjab

Gurmukhi schools were run by the village Gurdwaras or Dharmsalas. The syllabus according to contemporary accounts, and still found in the samaprada, comprises of the Balopadesa, the Panj Granthī, the Janamsākhī, Hanūmān Nāṭak and Bachitra Nāṭak.

5. The Buddha Dal and Hanūmān Nāṭak

When I first met the Akali Nihang Singh Khalsa leader, Jathedar Akali Nihang Baba Santa Singh 96 Crori, I was well aware of the numerous copies of the Hanūmān Nāṭak in manuscript collections, and references to it in Sikh history. He told me that this work was taught to a student before the santhiā of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib. This makes perfect sense as manuscript evidence shows that Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu Shahid, learnt this epic from an unbroken lineage originating back the the Guru’s Court. Later on after doing some basic training in shastravidiā with various Ustads in the Panjab, I also came to learn that this work contained battle tactics, as well as some verses that were recited during duels, and in training. There is a paintra to use with heavy weapons in shastravidiā which came from the Hanuman Akhara, which also involves breaks, locks, and powerful blows, which was later modified by Baba Katorh Singh. The Hanūmān Nāṭak is also read in the Dam Dami Taksal, Sewapanthi, Nirmala, and Udasi Sampradas.

6. Complete Text of Hanūmān Nāṭak by Hirdaya Ram Bhalla

I have published this work under Archimedes Press Ltd, which is a UK registered not for profit company. It is completely FREE but there are two other books you can purchase there by Gurinder Singh Mann and I.HTTP://WWW.ARCHIMEDESPRESS.CO.UK/

Sponsor Us

If you like this work and want to help me to publish more books for free, you might want to consider helping via the following:

1. Proof reading

2. Sponsor printing

3. Help typing or donate for typing

4. Help type-setting or donate for type-setting

5. Help research or donate for research

Please contact me at Kamalroop_singh@hotmail.com or inbox me on facebook.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/205998072/Hanuman-Natak-in-Gurmukhi-by-Hirdaya-Ram-Bhalla

Bhai Kahn SIngh Nabha wrote a commentary on Hanuman Natak called Natak Bhavarth Dipika (1888).