Sai Baba Used To Eat Meat, How Can He Be Called A Hindu God: Shankaracharya

amar_jkp

New Delhi: Questioning Shirdi Sai Baba's status as a Hindu god, Shankaracharya Swaroopanand Saraswati said that Sai Baba was someone "who used to eat meat and worshipped Allah, (and) a man like that can never be a Hindu god."

He also claimed that the devotees of Sai Baba use pictures of sanatan dharm gods and make money. "If they don't use pictures of our god, who will give them anything," he questioned.

While he admitted that people have the freedom to worship, he said that Sai Baba tries to position himself as god which is not acceptable to them. "We accept only 5 gods. Anyone who positions himself as an addition isn't acceptable to us," he said.

Shankaracharya also rubbished claims that he has raised objection over Sai Baba at the behest of Congress. "It is wrong to say that I am doing this at the behest of Congress. I am not a political person," he said.

After Shankaracharya Swaroopanand Saraswati had said that Hindus should not worship Shirdi Sai Baba along with other Hindu gods, the Sai temple in Lucknow filed a petition in Allahabad High Court seeking an FIR against him. The court will hear the case on Friday. A case has also been filed against Shankaracharya Saraswati in Jaipur.

The Naga seers have also sided with Shankaracharya. The Nagas have said if Shankaracharay is insulted they will take to the streets in protest. The Naga sadhus have also called the issue a religious war. However, Shankaracharya has claimed that he hasn't asked the nagas to fight with him. "I haven't asked nagas to come to fight with me but if they want to then they should. This is a religious war (dharmayudh)," he said.

"We are okay with whatever idol they choose to worship. But if they place the idols of our Gods at the feet of Sai Baba, it is unacceptable to us," said Shankaracharya supporter Swami Narendra Giri.

Hinduism is a collective term under which exist many different religions. Snatan Dharam isn't one single dharam, it's many different dharams with their own God(s), codes of conduct, rituals, beliefs, etc.

"We accept only 5 gods. Anyone who positions himself as an addition isn't acceptable to us," he said.

"We are okay with whatever idol they choose to worship. But if they place the idols of our Gods at the feet of Sai Baba, it is unacceptable to us," said Shankaracharya supporter Swami Narendra Giri.

Which religion is he talking about? Which religion does he belong to?

So Hindus do you think Sai Baba is Hindu god ?

That's not a question applicable to all Hindus as an single entity. Not all Hindus have the same God. Those who worship Sai Baba have their own religion. Who are we to say whether they should or should not do that? As long as they are devoted to him, then that's all that matters.

Edited by BhagatSingh

I am no devotee of Sai Baba or any person, just worship Akaal however do not agree to this issue.

This so called Shankaracharya is a puppet of the Congress and is creating unnecessary tantrums . He has been in this profile since quite some time is there any reason he did not dream of Sai Baba years back and now suddenly there is so much opposition?

I googled his name and saw his pics seated on the throne with devotees near his feet . Is he a certified Devta to be worshipped ?

The Naga Sadhus who want to side with him should think when was the last time they fought a Dharamyudh for which they were created .

I also fail to understand who has given this right to Swaroopanand to decide who should worship what ? We are altogether against idols and human or animal form worship...should we also then give out such 'hukum' ?

Sai Baba was like a Fakir who has even served poor people so had earned this merit . Had he been alive i dont think he would have agreed to all the lavishness and a temple of his own form.

What merit did Swaroopanand earn ? How much sewa has he done ? What was he doing when Hindus were butchered in Kashmir ? What did he do when natural calamities occurred ?

If he is so concerned then in the first place he should ask every single idol to be destroyed because the Vedas do not approve of idol worship.

I think the main issue is more and more Hindus have started worshiping him specially in north India even big sanatan Hindu temples have put up his idol . Some hindus have completely stopped worshiping other gods for them Sai Baba is and only god .

I see lot of Santan Dharam Mandir putting idol of Sai Baba aka Chand Mia to get more money . So Hindus do you think Sai Baba is Hindu god ?

In Hinduism, or at least mainstream Hinduism it's only Shri Krishna that is considered 17 talents completed (satrah or sitarah kalaa sampooran) hence worthy of being called a God. You have to be a master of all these talents to be considered complete and worthy of worship or reverence - political science, military science, kirtan, religious science etc...

Hence, Sai Baba is no god. He was a muslim, ate meat and did namaz.

I remember a few years ago in my own temple here in toronto a group of people were asking for a idol/picture of Ravin to be installed because he too was considered 17 talents completed, after a bitter fight and arguments it never happened. People were walking around with the Veena (Ravins invention) and wanted to play it alongside regular kirtan.

I amend the above the statement based on further research. Should have done it the same day I posted the above. Its solah (16) kalaa sampoooran hence Shri Krishna is the supreme avatar and even Shri Ram does not entirely meet that test (14 Kalas) forget Sai Baba.

1) srih ----------------------------- Opulence
2) bhuḥ ------------------- Land, Proporty
3) kīrtih -------------------------------- Fame
4) ila ------------------------ Communicator
5) lila ------------------- Pleasure, pastime
6) kantih ---------------- Radiance, Beauty
7) vidya ----------------------- Kknowledge
8) Vimala ---------------------Void of flaws
9) Utkarsini --------------------- Motivator
10) Jnana ---------------------------Wisdom
11) Kriya -----------------------------Action
12) Yoga ----------------------- Conjucator