Colour Red And Gursikh Wedding...

yes, bhai sahib i study the granths. in fact, right now I am going through Dasam Granth and found this line:

ਬੇਦਨ ਕੀ ਧੁਨ ਕੀਨੀ ਦੱਛਨਾਦਿ ਜਨ ਦੀਨੀ ਲੀਨੀ ਸਾਤ ਭਾਵਰੈ ਜੋ ਭਾਵਤੇ ਸੋ ਭਾਵਤੀ ॥੩੫॥

बेदन की धुन कीनी द्छनादि जन दीनी लीनी सात भावरै जो भावते सो भावती ॥३५॥

Within the chanting of Vedic mantras and giving and taking of religious gifts, the marriage ceremony was completed with seven matrimonial rounds by God`s will. 35.

(page 652)

I cited the research paper for one simple point. No one would challenge it as it comes from a 'committed' tat Khalsa organisation. But i must thank you for encouraging me to research Gurus' lives and writings. by the way, Bhatt Vahis (maintained by Gurus' kul purohits) are the greatest indicator of the way Gurus' performed various rites including marriage and cremation. same for the most prominent Sikh fitgures like hari Singh Nalwa, Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Ala Singh and others.

Again the tuk you posted is about a wedding guru ji is describing.

The full tuk is

ਗਾਵਤ ਬਜਾਵਤ ਸੁ ਗਾਰਨ ਦਿਵਾਵਤ ਸੁ ਆਵਤ ਸੁਹਾਵਤਹੈ ਮੰਦ ਮੰਦ ਗਾਵਤੀ ॥

गावत बजावत सु गारन दिवावत सु आवत सुहावतहै मंद मंद गावती ॥

The women singing and playing their musical instruments and chanting their satirical songs look very impressive;

ਕੇਹਰਿ ਸੀ ਕਟਿ ਅਉ ਕੁਰੰਗਨ ਸੇ ਦ੍ਰਿਗ ਜਾਕੇ ਗਜ ਕੈਸੀ ਚਾਲ ਮਨ ਭਾਵਤ ਸੁ ਆਵਤੀ ॥

केहरि सी कटि अउ कुरंगन से द्रिग जाके गज कैसी चाल मन भावत सु आवती ॥

They have slim waist like lions, eyes like does and gait like elephants.

ਮੋਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਚਉਕਿ ਕਰੇ ਲਾਲਨ ਕੇ ਖਾਰੇ ਧਰੇ ਬੈਠੇ ਤਬੈ ਦੋਊ ਦੂਲਹਿ ਦੁਲਹੀ ਸੁਹਾਵਤੀ ॥

मोतिन के चउकि करे लालन के खारे धरे बैठे तबै दोऊ दूलहि दुलही सुहावती ॥

Within the square of gems and on the seats of diamonds and jewels, the bride and bridegroom both look splendid;

ਬੇਦਨ ਕੀ ਧੁਨ ਕੀਨੀ ਦੱਛਨਾਦਿ ਜਨ ਦੀਨੀ ਲੀਨੀ ਸਾਤ ਭਾਵਰੈ ਜੋ ਭਾਵਤੇ ਸੋ ਭਾਵਤੀ ॥੩੫॥

बेदन की धुन कीनी द्छनादि जन दीनी लीनी सात भावरै जो भावते सो भावती ॥३५॥

Within the chanting of Vedic mantras and giving and taking of religious gifts, the marriage ceremony was completed with seven matrimonial rounds by God`s will. 35.

With green eyes soft pink would be beautiful.

Please do not wear a salwar suit for your wedding. Your wedding has to be much much much much more special.

http://dressanarkali.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/anarkali-Pink-Wedding-Wear-Salwar-Kameez-Suit.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not tall.... at all.... so floor length anarkali do NOT look good on me... I get lost in all the flowy bottom.... lehenga same thing... so thats why I went with semi patiala but trust me the kameez makes up for it... its MUCH more embellished than the two anarkalis you linked!

Unfortunately, I am not tall.... at all.... so floor length anarkali do NOT look good on me... I get lost in all the flowy bottom.... lehenga same thing... so thats why I went with semi patiala but trust me the kameez makes up for it... its MUCH more embellished than the two anarkalis you linked!

Damn it you are not giving me a lot to work with!!! You can make your own anarkali to your specs etc.

Do Hindus have a monopoly on the colour red?

Why can't colours just be.... colours? And why can't clothes just be clothes? Why can't someone wear a red shirt for example, because they are drawn to red roses? To me, the red rose is no less deserving than the orange or yellow one...

Case in point... see attached images...

I havent heard of any monopolisation over colours, but have tried my best to explain the status of the colour red. Whether you wish to respond with daft questions, or "proof" in the form of photos, is upto you.

Colours have a great significance is the natural world amongst all of nature since you ask if colours can be just...colours. No colour is in itself less deserving, in the natural world.

But concerning people and their faith, some colours have a more prominent role, and some colours are avoided.

Guru nanak dev ji's

did not took fere around fire, he asked for a beautiful palki , then a beautiful paper, wrote mool matra on it, placed it in nice rumallas and took fere around it

as for Guru's not born in Guru's family

they were hindu's before and some were married before they became guru so its obvious that they were married with hindu rights

However , yes Red and green are forbidden not to be worn ,

it goes into more depth

in the end it boils down to how much love you have for guru, or simply you love that particular color too much then guru's hukam

Edited by savinderpalsingh

bhai sahib, what you are saying is that Gurus were NOT 'sikhs' before they became Gurus. you are absolutely correct. they were and were, like any other Hindu from that age, not Sikhs. absolutely no difference between Sikhs till Singh Sabhaites started painting Hindus and Sikhs in black & white in late 19th century.

Not only first four, all the 10 Gurus and prominent Sikhs were married according to Hindu rites. if you think later Gurus were married acc to the 'Sikh rites' please give some references.

Also, one more point, you are saying is that the first 4 Gurus did not have control over their marriage rites as "their families were Hindus" how about their cremations? All of the Sikh Gurus were cremated like any other Hindu khatri. And so were other prominent Sikhs (Maharaja Ranjit singh included) Why?

No what I am saying is the gurus family made them get married according to Hindu rites cause back then there were no other way to get married other than the Muslim rites. The 4th guru made the 4 lavans to differentiate from Hindu and Muslim dharam cause sikh dharam is different. Guru gobind Singh ji maharaj also differentiates sikhs from Hindus and Muslims.

You have taken what I have said out of context veer ji. Hopefully I have cleared your doubts up.

Singh

This was not written for marriage between man and woman. It has nothing to do with that. Guru Ramdas ji is talking about marriage to Waheguru as Guru and Bhagats are often do in the rest of their bani. And it's sad to see that today people don't understand what it's talking about.

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੪ ॥
ਹਰਿ ਪਹਿਲੜੀ ਲਾਵ ਪਰਵਿਰਤੀ ਕਰਮ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਬਲਿ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਉ ॥

In the first round of marraige with Hari, is to give up sinful actions, that is the (ਪਰਵਿਰਤੀ) Parvirti way of life. I am a sacrifice to Ram.

ਬਾਣੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਵੇਦੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਹੁ ਪਾਪ ਤਜਾਇਆ ਬਲਿ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਉ ॥

Bani, Brahma's Vedas and Dharma, strengthen them (follow them), and let go of sinful ways. I am a sacrifice to Ram.

ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ॥

Strengthen Dharma, righteousness, and meditate on Hari's name.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਆਰਾਧਹੁ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥

Worship the complete Satguru, and all your poison and sin will be lost away.

ਸਹਜ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਹੋਆ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਮਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਇਆ ॥

Those who are (ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਇਆ) attached to the chant of "Hari Hari", enjoy peaceful happiness.

ਜਨੁ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਲਾਵ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਆਰੰਭੁ ਕਾਜੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

This is the first round of the marriage to Hari, by which the (ਕਾਜੁ) project (to merge with Hari) has begun.

And so on.

Edited by BhagatSingh

It has to do with both spiritual marrige and wordily marrige.

No that would be a misunderstanding. Marriage vows are related to the person you are marrying. These vows take into account the needs of the other person and you take these vows and do what is best for them.

In this shabad there are no vows talking about any person. They are all talking about Waheguru ergo they are not about worldy marriage.

So if I change to a combo of tea pink (light pink like in my current avatar pic) and onion pink (bit darker pink) with gold embroidery... that will be ok? (not bright pink like magenta) btw I am not Taksali and do not follow GRM... I follow SRM. But I don't want to hurt anyone sentiments since I am getting married in India. However as far as I know, his whole family (who are Amritdhari) follow SRM and not GRM. They are not Taksali... or any specific Jatha for that matter. But just to keep peace and not have anyone picking at me, pink is ok?

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

absolutely no difference between Sikhs till Singh Sabhaites started painting Hindus and Sikhs in black & white in late 19th century.

still talking trash.

Why would Guru Nanak go through the rejection of the vedic rite of janju dharna, and accept the vedic rite of marriage?

Just a question.

Anyone looked into what the Janamsakhis say about Guru Ji's wedding?

So if I change to a combo of tea pink (light pink like in my current avatar pic) and onion pink (bit darker pink) with gold embroidery... that will be ok? (not bright pink like magenta) btw I am not Taksali and do not follow GRM... I follow SRM. But I don't want to hurt anyone sentiments since I am getting married in India. However as far as I know, his whole family (who are Amritdhari) follow SRM and not GRM. They are not Taksali... or any specific Jatha for that matter. But just to keep peace and not have anyone picking at me, pink is ok?

Match your suit with your Husband's turban colour. If you wear pink, get him to wear a Pink turban.

But imo Pink is a weak version of Red. Red is intense, flamboyant and attractive! I don't know why you won't just wear Red. Just wear a red chunni and compare it with a pink one. Compare the two photos. I bet you the red one looks way better.

Match your suit with your Husband's turban colour. If you wear pink, get him to wear a Pink turban.

But imo Pink is a weak version of Red. Red is intense, flamboyant and attractive! I don't know why you won't just wear Red. Just wear a red chunni and compare it with a pink one. Compare the two photos. I bet you the red one looks way better.

Yes, but everyone are saying red is forbidden... and I don't want to any chances of anyone picking at me on my big day for doing something that *might* be against Sikhi.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Yes, but everyone are saying red is forbidden... and I don't want to any chances of anyone picking at me on my big day for doing something that *might* be against Sikhi.

Almost every Sikh in India wears Red dress and turban when getting married. Trust me no one going is going to think any other than "Oh doesn't she look beautiful in that red dress!" They will notice your pagg but not your dress colour ;)

My cousin sister got married and she wore something like this:

http://www.bollywoodstores.com/image/cache/data/bollywoodstores/sample-lenghas/Lengha-gold-bollywoodstores-sample-17-800x800.jpg

Edited by Kulsingh5

Bhai sahib, very respectfully, I firmly believe that all the Guru sahibans and all the prominent puratan sikh personalities we can think of, got married according to Sanatani, Vedic rites. Same for their cremations. Bhatt Vahis (and other sources) are the irrefutable evidence of Guru sahibans' or their families interaction with the kul purohits.

I am still waiting for evidence from puratan sources proving that Gurus married according to Anand.

As far as 'Sikh dharam' is concerned, i would request you to study the definition of 'dharam' once again. Everywhere in the Sikh tradition or scriptures, words like panth or gurmat may have been used to describe Sikhi but NEVER 'Sikh Dharam'. yes, 'Hindu dharam' finds a place in Sikh scriptures. in spite of the criminal 'expunging' done by the british sponsored tat khalsa scholars like Veer Singh, kahn Singh etc. in the name of editing, the overwhelming sanatani influence cannot be denied by anyone sane.

I firmly believe after the 4th guru all of the guru's were married according to 4 lavan. This is a topic which me and you will never agree on so let's respectfully agree to disagree :)

No that would be a misunderstanding. Marriage vows are related to the person you are marrying. These vows take into account the needs of the other person and you take these vows and do what is best for them.

In this shabad there are no vows talking about any person. They are all talking about Waheguru ergo they are not about worldy marriage.

Neighter me or you are real scholars on gurbani and gurbani always has deeper meanings. We will never really know what's it about :)

Neighter me or you are real scholars on gurbani and gurbani always has deeper meanings.

Sorry for being blunt. I know you are not a real scholar and I know you don't contemplate bani. That's why in my reply, I quoted a small shabad with the meanings for you to contemplate.

What's funny is that I know you didn't even read that small shabad properly.

We will never really know what's it about :)

Stop making excuses for your ignorance. Instead look towards learning and growing out it.

Ok so I changed my colour scheme to tea pink, onion pink, gold... instead of the original colours the suit comes in... which was red, blue, gold. I wore pink to the Gurdwara yesterday and was told that pink really is my colour anyway, so I think it will still look good, and since it's not red it won't cause a ruckus. (Though truth be told, avoiding colours really has me feeling like I am following blind ritual). But I do like the pink colour scheme with this design once we made a mock up of the fabrics, so I will go with that. And I will get him to wear pink turban to match. I will wear white dastar under the pink chunni, and he can wear white suit so it will work well I think for the wedding. Heres the colours we decided on in the end. I think it will be good maybe it looks better than red on me anyway since I am fair skinned.

p.s. regarding green colour, what do Amritdhari Sikhs in the army do? Is it kind of overlooked then since it's a uniform and they can't serve in the army without wearing green? Just curious... (I know it's just Taksalis that follow this, but are there any Taksalis in the army? Would they avoid joining because of the uniforms? If it seems like a stupid question I apologize, I just got thinking about it because myself I am in the military, though I am Navy not army and we wear black and white... and Navy blue in work dress. But army definitely wears green... a lot of green! Even Indian army!)

post-10390-0-84144700-1413216999_thumb.j

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Sorry for being blunt. I know you are not a real scholar and I know you don't contemplate bani. That's why in my reply, I quoted a small shabad with the meanings for you to contemplate.

What's funny is that I know you didn't even read that small shabad properly.

Stop making excuses for your ignorance. Instead look towards learning and growing out it.

And you contemplate on bani a lot.

In reality what you think you contemplate is still not even close to 1%

I admit I do not contemplate much but in your post I see hankaar.

What if I want to swim in my ignorance? Will that hurt you? Will that stop your bhagti from going forward? What if I want to stay ignorant for the next 100 janams?

So if the 4 lavan are not for marrige then how should we perform our marrige rights? According to Hindu Snatan matt?

I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's sentiments cause that's not what I mean to do when I wrote.