If India's Hindu Majority Discriminate Against Minorities

albcan

As soon as you ask for instruction the guru shishya relationship kicks in. To what degree depends on the circumstance.

It is interesting to note in the entire Mahabharata Arjun never considers Shri Krishan as his guru but just a close friend.

The guru disciple relationship starts minutes before the war when Arjun asks for instruction and then says I will not fight.

Shri Krishans response is simple " you take me as your Guru and then give me your decision not to fight? The first step is absolute surrender to the will of your Guru"

Interesting point.

So, would you agree that it's more a case of the Guru giving a direct updesh (Gurmantar, rehit etc.) to the Sikh than just simply asking for general instruction/advice/guidance?

Interesting point.

So, would you agree that it's more a case of the Guru giving a direct updesh (Gurmantar, rehit etc.) to the Sikh than just simply asking for general instruction/advice/guidance?

It could be both. The Guru is a teacher. Shri Krishan urges him to fight (instruction) and then tells him to fight (direct updesh) its also about context. The Gita is recited in the middle of war.

This is all part of a Islamist plot! The offspring of the union of Bollywood Hindus and Muslims always tend to inherit the worst traits of both religions. I mean look at Sanjay Dutt! Al Qaeda and IS are intent on making the IQ of Hindustanis lower than it is if that is indeed possible!

So Islamists are urging their daughters to marry Hindus in Hindu ceremonies? Or throwing the Koran at the feet of Durga? Check this out. Veena Malik is a pakistani actress that went to India and got some from Ashmit Patel. Watch below how she is destroyed by the Mullah. The screaming and fighting, the accusations of immoral behaivour and bringing disgrace to Islime.

It could be both. The Guru is a teacher. Shri Krishan urges him to fight (instruction) and then tells him to fight (direct updesh) its also about context. The Gita is recited in the middle of war.

In the context of Mahabharat, I can see the Guru - Sikh relation between Krishan Ji and Arjun.

However, where would the importance of being directly initiated be placed, in the context of a person of this time claiming Krishan Ji as their guru (as no direct initiation has/can be taken place)?

In the context of Mahabharat, I can see the Guru - Sikh relation between Krishan Ji and Arjun.

However, where would the importance of being directly initiated be placed, in the context of a person of this time claiming Krishan Ji as their guru (as no direct initiation has/can be taken place)?

Guru Pariksha can be a mental or physical test, or both. It is upto the Guru to decide. In this case the absolute surrender to the will and instruction of his Guru is probably initiation.

We see during 1699 Khalsa initiation people being led into the tent by Guru Gobind Singh ji. The panj pyare think they are going to have their heads cut off but still go anyways. They have surrendered their will to their Guru. That is the test, the initiation. Not the Khande de phaul.

Guru Pariksha can be a mental or physical test, or both. It is upto the Guru to decide. In this case the absolute surrender to the will and instruction of his Guru is probably initiation.

We see during 1699 Khalsa initiation people being led into the tent by Guru Gobind Singh ji. The panj pyare think they are going to have their heads cut off but still go anyways. They have surrendered their will to their Guru. That is the test, the initiation. Not the Khande de phaul.

No doubt the test is important, but the test in the entirety is not the initiation. It was because they surrendered completely to the Guru that they recieved inititation. Or, to put it another way, they passed the test and got the certificate.

Another way to look at it is that, for example, you can read all the books and have all the knowledge. But it doesn't mean much if you aren't registered in a school, because you can't take the exams, pass or get the certificate.

Physical/outer initiation is not the be all and end all, but it is still very important.

Like I said context of the situation should be considered. In the ancient days certificates like titles, special weaponry or rituals would be given by the presiding Guru.

However, this is in the middle of war. Perhaps the knowledge and direction is the certificate.

One of the Gurus jobs is to break down the individual and rebuild a newer stronger version.

Like I said context of the situation should be considered. In the ancient days certificates like titles, special weaponry or rituals would be given by the presiding Guru.

However, this is in the middle of war. Perhaps the knowledge and direction is the certificate.

One of the Gurus jobs is to break down the individual and rebuild a newer stronger version.

I agree context is important e.g. The Guru- Sikh relation between Krishan Ji Maharaj and Arjun.

However, I don't think that this would apply to someone of today claiming Krishan Ji as their guru.