Sikh Rehat Maryada

paapiman

Bro my grandmother took khandey di Pahul from hazur sahib in 1980... My brother in law's cousin sister got khandey di Pahul from hazur sahib in 2013... It's something you heard but I have people in my own family who took Amrit from hazur sahib!

Bro, I think it was during the times of Srimaan 108 Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindrawale (jathedaar of DDT) that he observed it. It might have been before 1980 then. But, this practice definitely existed.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

Bro, I think it was during the times of Srimaan 108 Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindrawale (jathedaar of DDT) that he observed it. It might have been before 1980 then. But, this practice definitely existed.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Bro, well why would it change all of a sudden?

Actually sikh rehet maryada does not ban women from anything. And Akal Takht had already ruled that women be allowed to do Kirtan at Sri Darbar sahib. It was DDT and Sant Samaj who kicked up such a fuss and opposed that it was never implemented.

Besides that I still disagree that the only authority figures in Sikhi who denote what initiates are to follow have to be male. That's putting all authority on men and making women dependent upon men for spiritual progression. At least if they said it must be a woman to put the sugar puffs then if it was only men they couldn't do it. So it would be a bit better but not ideal. Because Guru Ji said that he will be present wherever there are panj plates. That would say that women are not good enough for Guru Ji to be present.

Takht chief frowns on sewa by women

Varinder Walia

Tribune News Service

Amritsar, October 11

The demand to allow baptised Sikh women to perform kirtan and seva inside the sanctum sanctorum of the Golden Temple raised a controversy again at a seminar organised by the Global United Sikh Women Organisation here today.

When Dr Mohinder Kaur Gill, a Sikh scholar, wanted the inclusion of baptised women among Panj Piyare ( Five Beloved Ones), Jathedar, Akal Takht, Giani Gurbachan Singh chided her for raising such sensitive issues publicly. He, however, said such matters should have been taken up by the sub-committee of SGPC representatives, Akal Takht, Sikh intellectuals and baptised women.

Rajinder Singh Mehta, member, executive committee, SGPC, at the function said women could not be allowed to participate in Panj Piyare or perform kirtan/seva due to a variety of reasons. He said the Almighty had differentiated man from woman at the time of birth, hence nobody should raise such a demand.

Dr Mohinder Kaur, contradicting her own point, said the SGPC had given certain administrative reasons for disallowing women to clean the sanctum sanctorum or carry Guru Granth Sahib in a palanquin, but there was no valid reason to deny them a chance to perform kirtan.

Bibi Jagir Kaur, after taking over as SGPC chief in 1999, had announced to treat baptised women on a par with men for discharging religious duties in the Golden Temple. Earlier, then acting Jathedar, Akal Takht, Prof Manjit Singh had taken a jatha of baptised women to perform seva in the sanctum sanctorum, along with wife of Harbhajan Singh Yogi. Later, notwithstanding her announcement on February 3, 2003, Bibi Kiranjot Kaur, a former general secretary, SGPC, could not arrange kirtan in the sanctum sanctorum.

Gender discrimination in the Golden Temple was highlighted at the international level on February 15, 2003, when two England-based Sikh women were allegedly assaulted by SGPC sevadars during sukhasan (carrying Guru Granth Sahib in palanquin) in the Golden Temple .

Earlier, at the seminar Dr Upinderjit Kaur, education minister, said to preserve moral and ethical values in society, women should have to do introspection to awaken society ethically, morally and artistically by eradicating social evils.

Women and organisations, including GND University, Punjabi University, SGPC, Kendri Sri Guru Singh Sabha, Chandigarh, and Naad Pargaas Sri Amritsar participated in the seminar. The minister congratulated Dr Jasbir Kaur, president, and said such seminars would help form an ideal society.

This is one article.. There is no name of DDT anywhere

Regarding inequality

Sikh women led congregations at Gurus times. Were appointed as preachers by the Gurus. Led battles (many western countries still don't allow women in infantry). We've had Sikh females leading Sikh countries (Patiala state had a female PM). Women have historically performed Kirtan at Harmandar Sahib

Satkirin Kaur, don't be discouraged by these people. They have not realised what Sikhi is about yet and are stuck in the rituals and traditional un Sikh though.

I never said that women cannot be appointed as preachers or lead battles or become ministers. They can do it all except the ones, not authorized by Satguru jee. Biggest one being, not to be in Panj Pyaray.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Bro, well why would it change all of a sudden?

I don't know. I will talk to a Sikh scholar about it when I get time. Here is the proof.

"The Khalsa initiation for women, as in Budha Dal, is separate from the men in Hazoor Sahib. The Amrit is prepared by just reading ‘Japji’ and six verses from Anand Sahib, and wielding a ‘Kard’ (single-edged sword or knife) only" [1]

[1] - http://www.sarbloh.info/htmls/article_samparda_hazoori6.html

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

You do know that the site you used as reference is a site which has the same ideology as niddar...

Bro man, I heard it from a Taksali Singh too. One cannot say that all the content on their site is false. I think that would be classified as ninda, a heinous sin in Sikhism.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Paapi, ninda and telling the truth are two different things.

So when Guru Nanak called Babar a Jabar Guru ji did ninda? Oh no but Guru Nanak Sahib were god incarnate so human rules don't count :o

JHOOT NA BOL PANDEY SACH KAHIAI

Bro, you cannot deny that there is a lot of truth on that website. If one says, it's all false, how can that be true?

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

If wearing some color was discouraged it would have been there in bani, or atleast there would have been hints?

The only historical basis for not wearing green and red is because it was associated with either the Muslims or Hindus at that time. And during wars they had to be able to distinguish between friend and foe.

Same with "not having sex with a muslim woman", so its okay to have sex with a Hindu woman? No, it was the context for we were at war with Muslims and there were high chances of Muslim women falling in Khalsa soldiers hand, and the injunctions were to prevent sexual abuse of female prisoners.

SRM is the purest form of rehat we have, altough there are some errors in there too but far less than Taksal or other sampardas which present a cultist view. For me Taksalis and Missionaries are same

So you think you are above Srimaan 108 Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindrawale (author of RM)? or Srimaan Sant Baba Nand Singh jee Maharaaj?

How can taksalis and missionaries be same? Can you please explain? I understand they can reach the same spiritual level by doing bhagtee.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Same with "not having sex with a muslim woman", so its okay to have sex with a Hindu woman? No, it was the context for we were at war with Muslims and there were high chances of Muslim women falling in Khalsa soldiers hand, and the injunctions were to prevent sexual abuse of female prisoners.

Good point.

Bro man, I heard it from a Taksali Singh too. One cannot say that all the content on their site is false. I think that would be classified as ninda, a heinous sin in Sikhism.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Was this taksali Singh a real student of damdami taksal or a so called self proclaimed taksali?

If wearing some color was discouraged it would have been there in bani, or atleast there would have been hints?

Are you 100% sure that there is no reference to red or green color in Gurbani (including Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee)?

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Singh123..., no I also want to go back to the roots i.e. have one takht, have no jathedars who act like popes but sevadars, and just how Sikhi was during the times of the Guru.

Paapi, Gurbachan Singh or Nand Singh are not above Gurbani for me.

Missionaries over-question and Taksalis under-question.

Hmm I hope someday to do panj pyare di seva just so I can say see a woman can do it just as good as a man! And I plan to at least have one female panj when I take Amrit soon. :)

Singhs stuck in past discriminating against women can follow DDT while I will follow SRM. We all have a choice. We all know what's right in our hearts.