Are Sikhs Who Try To Stop Interfaith Weddings In Gurdwaras Justified Or Extremists? (Nihal, 13/5/15)-Discussion

I have heard of people being married in Gurdwara but not by Anand Karaj is ok... but that anand karaj is between two Amritdhari Sikhs.

In the case of interfaith, they still had the wedding in the Gurdwara and the Granthi gave blessings (their own) but they did not do lavans etc.

Not sure how people view that idea though...

But yes Anand Karaj should be two Amritdhari Sikhs, man and woman.

post-10390-0-64161000-1431832827_thumb.j

I have heard of people being married in Gurdwara but not by Anand Karaj is ok... but that anand karaj is between two Amritdhari Sikhs.

In the case of interfaith, they still had the wedding in the Gurdwara and the Granthi gave blessings (their own) but they did not do lavans etc.

Well put

I would whole heartedly agree. People think of Anand Karaj as a a simple cultural marriage ceremony. However, it's a religious practice, it's between not only the couple but the Guru as well.

It's disrespectful and meaningless tojust bow down to Guru Sahib without even accepting it as a spiritual guide. It just degrades the whole purpose and meaning of Anand Karaj.

Great post guys,

Here is my view, slightly different:

I thought anand karaj ceremony composition itself is discourse(updesh) of self realization to couples rather than affirmation.

Amrit sanchar is direct Affirmation declaration.

Discourse does not require submission right way- usually its contemplated upon, deeply understood, practised upon its a process to affirmation-amrit sanchar or process to walk on the path of anand karaj, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th stage is life long process of one married life rather than direct affirmation like many Christians do.

Updesh is for all, meant to be for all as anand karaj universal message of self realization in stages are universal in nature can be applied by everyone as ultimately Satguru is eternal gyan- its inner universal one god - inner supreme light-knowledge/consciousness within all.

Sure from context of being khalsa which should be also encouraged in anand karaj, affirmation is needed and declaration is needed to take amrit and consider sri guru granth sahib ji as our Guru.

But from universality/inclusiveness point of view, one can also relate to anand karaj on more deeper and personal level as Satguru is also true(Sat) Guru(pure consciousness/chainta) -iner guru within all.

So withat universality meaning of Satguru/ inclusiveness context kept in mind, anand karaj can still be performed continue as a discourse.

Whilst we all agree interfaith anand karaj carried out ceremonies and including punjabi anand karaj ceremonies have became a sham or empty ritual but these can turn into great opportunity for parcharikhs to bring people in sikhi via in stages/ right parchar, than push away people by banning them all together from anand karaj or making it exclusiveness by providing them with no alternatives.
Edited by N30 S!NGH

As far as banning it, i am sorry i don't agree with it at all:

Not justified as they dictating terms behalf of SatGuru acting as if live Satguru-mysterious hidden momentum power of word/shabad is dead. They inadvertently undermining the power of shabad which is unfolding itself as discourse to couples - be it interfaith or not.

Gur shabad is providing a discourse of anand karaj to couples, its between couples and Guru granth sahib ji.

It's Guru- gurbani, guru- consciousness providing discourse and couples listening to it. Whoever is ready and Guru wishes- draws them in puts its seed of shabad to flourish after and for those who are not ready yet message does not resonate with them again its between them and Guru not a third party.

Third party who are ought to ban it, have totally lost the plot.

How come Gurus and other puratan Sikhs did not get married acc to Anand karaj (which was incorporated as a Sikh ritual only in late 19th century)?

Only three gurus actually did their wedding ceremony according to Hindu rites. Those gurus were the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gurus.. Guru nanak dev Ji did lavaan of Maha mantar.

I agree whole heartedly with N30, I don't think anybody should have the audacity to become a gatekeeper in a meeting between the Guru and a potential Sikh. Shabad Guru, the basis of Sikhism has been established by God to provide guidance for his own parts. Sikhism is not a club where we dictate pre-requisites for membership. We don't know under what circumstances will Guru attract his Sikh. If self-appointed gatekeepers were allowed to control who is good enough to meet the Guru, then Kauda Rakhash, Sajjan Thug, Guru Angad Dev ji, Guru Amar Das ji would have been barred.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh