Sikh Marriage - Can a Sikh marry out of faith?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe in SGGS ji that it explicitly states that a Sikh cannot Marry a Non-Sikh. Its I believe more about being a Bandha - good person by believing, learning and living the values of Sikhi.

I think in some rehatnama's of guru gobind singh ji - it mentions to marry your daughters to a Sikh. Due to the period of 16th century where forced mogul conversions where happening.

Please correct if anything incorrect

I think in some rehatnama's of guru gobind singh ji - it mentions to marry your daughters to a Sikh. Due to the period of 16th century where forced mogul conversions where happening

Thats actually good point. All though Sikh should marry daughter to another sikh, life always does not work like that as each is born with different destiny lekha..we can only instill good values in our kids to marry a fellow sikh its not matter of enforcement. Regarding 52 hakums of sri guru gobind singh ji, here is thread on it which talks about mostly missed point - contexualization when we read it:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/16221-authencity-of-52-hakums-of-sri-guru-gobind-singh-ji-split-topic-discussion/

I believe the thought process behind this was because usually if a woman married someone outside of their own religion, they were forced to take the religion of the husband. It may have happened the opposite way round, but usually it was the girl who was faced with conversion to a new faith.  So the mention of marrying a daughter to a Sikh was to ensure she could keep her faith.  It wasn't as necessary to mention the son being married to a Sikh because even if he married a Hindu girl she would likely have converted to Sikhi.  Not so applicable in today's world as it was then.  But it's intimated that Sikhs should marry Sikhs. Anyways it was so that in order to keep their faith or else, Sikhi would have dissolved over time.