Contribution of Overseaz Sikhz to Sikhizm...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well don't worry about discussing penji... there are many Sikhz in India who can discuss Sikhi better than most of the forum memberz here... but my question is pretty straight forward... Besidez discussing Sikhi, What NRI Sikhz have contributed to the cause of Sikhizm... So that ignorant memberz like me are enlightened...

No need to take it az a personal attack on NRI Sikhz...

Sincerely

Well don't worry about discussing penji... there are many Sikhz in India who can discuss Sikhi better than most of the forum memberz here... but my question is pretty straight forward... Besidez discussing Sikhi, What NRI Sikhz have contributed to the cause of Sikhizm... So that ignorant memberz like me are enlightened...

Lalleshwari is a Bhaji :LOL:

I am not doubting there are Sikhs who can debate better than Sikhs who are on this forum, but I have seen from experience that there is far more passion for Sikhi abroad to be honest.

I think the greatest contribution has been the 'passion' Sikhs show for Sikhi, also the Gurmat camps and so on organised to help the Sikh youth in a western country, as it can be difficult for them to adjust in such an environment.

Also, there is a Sikh school in Hayes, which is another contribution to the panth, for propagating Sikhi in England.

It's difficult for NRI Sikhs to do much in terms of radical changes because the authority and power of the panth is based in India, although I think even 'discussing on this forum' helps many people both abroad and in India.

In saying that, more contribution from Sikhs both abroad and in India wouldn't go amiss.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not doubting there are Sikhs who can debate better than Sikhs who are on this forum, but I have seen from experience that there is far more passion for Sikhi abroad to be honest.

It's difficult for NRI Sikhs to do much in terms of radical changes because the authority and power of the panth is based in India, although I think even 'discussing on this forum' helps many people both abroad and in India.

In saying that, more contribution from Sikhs both abroad and in India wouldn't go amiss.

Why do you have this feeling that passion of Sikhi is less in India than in abroad... If there is more passion abroad then why NRI Sikhs are confused with Muslims... Why they are afraid of putting on Turbans while going to their offices... I have seen many Sikhs abroad who roam about in the streets USA with their Kesh tied like a pop singer and a Cap on their heads... No body can judge you are a Sikh or a imposter... Then whatz the use of the distinct identity given to us be our Gurus...?

Why Sikhs have been faced with Hate Crimes... If there is a passion for Sikhi then why to supress it. Why not feel proud to be a Sikh and declare it openly that you are a Sikh?

I think this trend is equally prevalent in outside India. The first thing a Sikh does after going abroad is to learn using a pair of scissors... This trend is more prevalent in villages though...

Not Really.... Come on ! Jassa !! I think we are here on this forum not to arguement but to discuss the topics... Answer my valid questions rather than changing the course of discussion to arguements...

IDEAL Singh, I think you're being unreasonable here. It's no good saying all NRI Sikhs are not contributing to Sikhi because of Muslims.

To retaliate I could use the same argument and say well the ones in India can't keep their hair despite the lesser threat of Muslims there!

You must have heard about that poor 14 year old kid who was harrassed and his hair cut off in the Midlands?

Well, in spite of that you see so many Gurmat camps and Chardi Kala Singhs here, isn't that an achievement in itself? Instead of debating whether NRI Sikhs are being 'good' Sikhs, spread Sikhi where you are. Hopefully it will filter through to us too then eh?!

Gurfateh

IDEAL Singh, I think you're being unreasonable here. It's no good saying all NRI Sikhs are not contributing to Sikhi because of Muslims.

To retaliate I could use the same argument and say well the ones in India can't keep their hair despite the lesser threat of Muslims there!

You must have heard about that poor 14 year old kid who was harrassed and his hair cut off in the Midlands?

Well, in spite of that you see so many Gurmat camps and Chardi Kala Singhs here, isn't that an achievement in itself? Instead of debating whether NRI Sikhs are being 'good' Sikhs, spread Sikhi where you are. Hopefully it will filter through to us too then eh?!

Gurfateh

Well if you think that I am being unreasonable then how could you say that passion for sikhi is less in India... You only see what ever is propogated on the media... remember my first very post called "Would Sikhism Survive this Century" where I had refuted the role of Media in spoiling the image of Sikh in the Wolrd community as bunch of Jokers and as bast*rds... I still support that view of mine...

You can read it here:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=1455

Now lets face it NRI sikhs are living in countries where there is freedon of expression and thought... Could not anybody of you prospering Sikhs ever thought of launching a proper TV Channel where true type of Sikhi is shown to the world day in day out... That type of contribution of I was talking about... I think Sikh are the most prospering community out side India becasuse they are allowed to practice Sikhi... But dont you think they should take it as their moral responsibilty to present Sikhi the way it is... Rather than loiterring like a rock star...

Bhul Chuk Maaf...

Now lets face it NRI sikhs are living in countries where there is freedon of expression and thought... Could not anybody of you prospering Sikhs ever thought of launching a proper TV Channel where true type of Sikhi is shown to the world day in day out... That type of contribution of I was talking about... I think Sikh are the most prospering community out side India becasuse they are allowed to practice Sikhi... But dont you think they should take it as their moral responsibilty to present Sikhi the way it is... Rather than loiterring like a rock star...

Well at least you are giving us some ideas now, instead of blindly generalising that all NRI Sikhs are doing nothing! :roll:

Who's loitering like a rock star? Grow up man! :roll: You ain't been to Southall have you?

Gurfateh

You ain't been to Southall have you?

I havn't been to Southall. What is so special about it ? If I am not wrong... I have heard that there is a Gurudwara, which is the costiliest ever Gurudwara made... 10 Million Pounds !! So whatz so special about it ? Every other day there are new Gurudwaraz installed... So what ? If I am not wrong with so much money NRI Sikhz could have easily launched at least five good quality worldwide TV Channels which could spread the word of Sikhi...

Building Gurudwaras is no big deal... Everyother day a new Gurudwara crops up in my vicinity... Sab Maya Jaal Hae...

But at least... Thank God that now you think that there is some progess on this issue... So is my proposal of a TV channal, impractical ?

• 2 weeks later...

Letz discuss the contribution of Non-Rezident Indian Sikhz for the cauz of Sikhizm... ofcourz besidez thez discussion forumz... :wink:

Great topic!!! I have always that question in my mind!!

Well, there is the this site where we discuss SIkhi, in India they don't give a damm about SIkhi to be honest! :cry:

honest??? on what basis? who They? Come here. Come to my city. Its not in Punjab.. And you will know how much "Damn" we have. The problem with most you is that you see sikh religion bound to pujab only. and decide your views on the bassis of the information you read on web-sittes. India is a Big counrty friends and so as the Sikh religion. you are living "saat Samunder paar" and the best source of info you have got the media.. and your imagination. Please also note that Sikh religion is more that just demading "Khalistan".

Beause you are yourself in abroad. I can't understand on what grouds are you COMPARING. How long have you been here in India?

but is india better where they cut it all off???

I remeber one incident. there is a family in my neighbourhood. The sons of the famliy were studying in Australia. The elder one, came back on a short visit. He was wearing "Pagh" and having beared etc. After the vacation he returned. The very next day, unfortunetly, his father expired. he got the news in between his way back. He has to return immediately. and he returned. AS he arrived home, everybody was shocked. The person who was a perfect sardar since yesterday, is a clean shaved guy with a smart hair cut!! :shock:. Huh? I will not comment furthre, and let you draw the conclusion..

Grow up man! :roll: You ain't been to Southall have you?

Grow up aap!! have you ever been into Delhi even. Remeber Delhi is not in Punjab.

Friends, at no point, i am trying to say that NRIs don't contribute to sikhism. They certainly do. and Its nice to see that. But Dear Friends, Don't think that NRIs are doing something very great and Indians not.. in terms of contribution to the religion. I don't want to blame or curse or something like that to NRIs.. because i don't know the exact condition? same as you are not aware of situation in India. If you talk abt building gurudwars... There are 6 in my town.. and again, its not in punjab. I don't think that you would or could celebrate the GuruPurab the way we do here. Special arrangments are done by local police for the nagar kirtan on gurupurabs.. atleat 5 schools are there in my town which are run by sikhs... and Teach sikhi as a regular subject. I request you all , that please before commenting on the sikhism in india, come, visit to India. Don't just read web sites. Its not a fashion here as it is Outside. Come read books, meet the people and than decide.!!!

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

With Kind Regards

Sardu!

i dont know bout ne1 else....

but ive been to delhi...ive been to punjab....

and these claims of sikhi being good in delhi isnt entirely accurate??

i used 2 walk round in my dumalla and daree kulhee....

the forst thing my dads friends said to me was to wear a smarter pugh and tie my dari, as it presented the wrong image?!?

but then again thats only one person and shouldnt represent everyone...

but nearly every "sikh" we met there drank....im not sayin punjab was any better....but personally i dont see how sikhi is anything in india now....

i might be wrong...but ive been india about 5/6 times in recent years, even staying there for about 2 months...(came back black but koi na!)

and ideal singh...practice what you preach.dont knock southall b4 u even seen it...

the gurdwara is recent....but the quality of sangat that is found here is not!!

i believe it was sant baba mann singh ji who said that the singhs living in southall must have done some great kamaee for them to be given as brilliant sangat as can be enjoyed here!!

when i went india like 4 yrs ago.. on the way back to the airport i had the privelage of goin to the dehli gurdwaras including gurdwara sees ganj... and the sangat there was awesome!!!!.. this was really late at night and there wasnt no place to sit at all.. and it was a weekday - from wat i know the shaher waley are always at the gurdwaras.... but the pendus dont bother goin to the gurdwara even if its next door :roll:

i remember someone used to say in the pend "aaha granthi ehmy swere swere raula paun lag penda" then tahts when my mom had to cuss her down :LOL: :twisted:

i dont know bout ne1 else....

but ive been to delhi...ive been to punjab....

and these claims of sikhi being good in delhi isnt entirely accurate??

i used 2 walk round in my dumalla and daree kulhee....

the forst thing my dads friends said to me was to wear a smarter pugh and tie my dari, as it presented the wrong image?!?

but then again thats only one person and shouldnt represent everyone...

Right.. it may his individual views.. nevertheless nobody ask/suggest you to CUT!!!

but nearly every "sikh" we met there drank....im not sayin punjab was any better....but personally i dont see how sikhi is anything in india now....

I will say this is somewhat "Hyper". Everone was drunk?? Well i agree this is very very common in sikhs here. but again, only because of these obeservations you can't claim what you have done. Please refer to the Steel Bangle's Post; He has also shared some observation he made, which you, somehow and unfortunetly, didn't do or forget to mention here.

No body is perfect.. yes i agree there are some bad practices like drinking, is comman here, though i don't know abt outside so not saying anything, But, When it comes to sikhi and other religious practice, believe me things are not that BAD as u are guessing!!!!!! Next time when u VISIT India, drop a mail to me, I would try my best to arrnage off from work and would take you around. Probablly that may help!

sardu and ideal singh - i share ur views very much... altho things in india may be gettin bad amongst some of the youth... the older sangat are very much into their sikhi

yday i watched a video which shows various gurdwarey around india.. explaining their history and so on.. n inside the sangat there was hardly any moneh to be seen.. one or 2 heads here n there...

when i contrasted this with the sangat majority of the time in uk gurdwaras... there is a very visible difference... most people in india keep the bana. where here very often do u see a fair amount of sangat in bana... :?

its wrong to say that NRI have not commited nothing to sikhi.. and bashing them that they are not in india and they are sittin in different countries... this is not our fault. we was born here so we more or less have little choice... and having studied and grown up here its hard to leave it all behind and migrate for the sake of stayin to our roots... :cry:

Hey! cool it off Friendz!! No body is bashing anybody. Itz just a discussion. Steel Bangle if you go towards the beginning of this thread you would find that this discussion was started by me in a very lighter mood... but then someone took it by heart and now it has become an arguement...

But the fact of the matter is that when Sikhz living outside India can easily bash Sikhz living in India then why they feel bad when somebody counterz their arguementz... We should remember that If we criticise someone then we should be ready to be criticized as well...

Drinking is no doubt a very big problem in India and particularly in Punjab where 52% of men are drinkerz and 48% of women regularly take drinks (Which is a stagerring number...)(This reaseach was conducted by Sikh Fulwari (by Sikh Missionary College). The place where I am Putting i.e. Chandigarh... there are installed a "Thaika Sharaab Desi" at every 1.5 kmz (with fully air conditioned Ahataz/Yards). You wont beleve that there are more vehicles outside these ahataaz than in the movie theatrs. Apprently, this is also a very deep routed consipiracy to weaken the youth of Punjab, which was once the most progressing State in India.

The main drawback in present Sikh community is: dreath of people with good leadership qualities. Waheguru Waheguru Japna, Tae paraya Maal Apna is policy being followed. Panthtic committess are more about their survival rather than uplifting the lowering spirits of Sikh Community India. But isnt it the same case outside India as well...

There is no doubt that Sikhi in India is at itz lowest ebb... But dont worry about the roots of Sikhi... Roots are everywhere, whereever there is a good Sikh of the Guru. Sikhism is not a regional Religion... itz a Global Religion... so there is nothing to worry about your rootz Steel Bangle... Letz try to be a good Sikh of the Guru whereever we are...

We are simply discussing: What is the Contribution of NRI Sikhz and not playing a blame game... So let us continue with the discussion...

Where are leaderz who can represent Sikhz residing outside India. Are there any representations of NRI Sikhz in Sikh Affairs being run in India? Please Discuss.

its wrong to say that NRI have not commited nothing to sikhi.. and bashing them that they are not in india and they are sittin in different countries... this is not our fault. we was born here so we more or less have little choice... and having studied and grown up here its hard to leave it all behind and migrate for the sake of stayin to our roots... :cry:

no veere!!! i (we) didn't ( never) mean to say that!! NRIs have definetly done great service to the religion and to the nation (?). No doubt on that. The whole point of me arguning here was/is that when NRIs like many of you, who are sitting pretty far from India with a very little knowledge of what exactly happening here, claim that sikhism is in deep danger in india etc etc. DOst!! This is not the CASE. The source you use to get the information is what.. a web site?? what is the authenticity? How do you cross check it? Yes, There are many problem within the relgion here, but, than, where it is not? and we generally don't discuss about those problems because we (want to )know very lillte about them. India is way way different than the countries , you guys, live in. India is not an easy place to live as compare to your developed countries.. but We live here and we live Proudly. No matter how difficult the life here, we enjoy it. One day we may have argument with hindu or muslim brother but other day we will be celebrating some festival togther, greeting each other, hugging each other. Positive side is, at least we can argue, we can raise voice.. or demand. Outside.. is that possible? where one has to go to court so that he can wear "Pagh" officially at work. Brother(s), Sister(s) and Friend(s), from outside the problems here may look BIG or serious... but for us these are not big deals.. we can and we do tackle with them easily. We didn't let the religion DIE here.. We just didn't show our concern and spoke. We have kept the religion in "Chadhi Kala".Go to any city of north India, talk to people, Sikhs has reserved the respect of being "Most hard workers" and "most lively ones" Everywhere.

I can't say anything about the Respect and Place in the scoiety earned by NRIs in Their respective countries/cities, for the reason that i am not aware. I certainly hope for a distinct reputation of sikh community in those coutries.... because after all we all are sikhs.. we leave our impression of hard work and royality where ever we go.

And When we (I) question the contribution of NRIs' contribution to sikhism it is out of the quest to know what we don't know? Its certainly not finer pointing without full information or half information received through web-site or other means. We actually want to know what is the position/ respect/recognization we sikhs have out there. But, Sadly this is what you get in response...

Well, there is the this site where we discuss SIkhi, in India they don't give a damm about SIkhi to be honest! :cry:

Bhul Chuk Mafi..

With sincere regards

Sardu!!

But the fact of the matter is that when Sikhz living outside India can easily bash Sikhz living in India then why they feel bad when somebody counterz their arguementz... We should remember that If we criticise someone then we should be ready to be criticized as well...

Exactly.

Drinking is no doubt a very big problem in India and particularly in Punjab where 52% of men are drinkerz and 48% of women regularly take drinks (Which is a stagerring number...)(This reaseach was conducted by Sikh Fulwari (by Sikh Missionary College). The place where I am Putting i.e. Chandigarh... there are installed a "Thaika Sharaab Desi" at every 1.5 kmz (with fully air conditioned Ahataz/Yards). You wont beleve that there are more vehicles outside these ahataaz than in the movie theatrs. Apprently, this is also a very deep routed consipiracy to weaken the youth of Punjab, which was once the most progressing State in India.

Certainly it is. But The solution is with ourselves only. Despite of blaming others for deep consipiracy, it becomes our responsibility to get out of it and make other aware, as well.

The main drawback in present Sikh community is: dreath of people with good leadership qualities. Waheguru Waheguru Japna, Tae paraya Maal Apna is policy being followed. Panthtic committess are more about their survival rather than uplifting the lowering spirits of Sikh Community India. But isnt it the same case outside India as well...

Another very much valid point!!! I appriciate and share the same concern.

Roots are everywhere, whereever there is a good Sikh of the Guru. Sikhism is not a regional Religion... itz a Global Religion... so there is nothing to worry about your rootz Steel Bangle... Letz try to be a good Sikh of the Guru whereever we are...

:D ..

We are simply discussing: What is the Contribution of NRI Sikhz and not playing a blame game... So let us continue with the discussion...

Where are leaderz who can represent Sikhz residing outside India. Are there any representations of NRI Sikhz in Sikh Affairs being run in India? Please Discuss.

yes Please Discuss!! :oops: