Contribution of Overseaz Sikhz to Sikhizm...

I really don't understand people like Sardu and Ideal Singh. How can any self respecting Sikh ever call himself an Indian ?. How many Jewish survivors of the holocaust refer to themselves as 'German' Jews even though they have been born in Germany or lived there during their childhood ?. What these two guys don't realise is that a significant number of Sikhs abroad don't refer to themselves as 'Indian' or like to claim to belong to a country called 'India'. At work whenever we get the ethnic monitoring questionaires around I put down 'Sikh' as my ethnic category. I would never classify myself as an 'indian'. When ever someone asks me where my family is from originally from, I say 'Punjab' because that is the region we come from, a region with which we have strong ties which we do not have the 50 odd year old political entity called India.

No doubt these guys will be shocked but a growing number of Sikhs are seeking to de-link their origin or the origin of their religion from 'India'.

I wonder is this sheer Escapism ? :roll:

Now onwardz I would call myself a Punjabi Sikh... But I dont gather how does it matter ? :roll:

Now that the point is repeatedily being made on Punjabi Sikhz... Letz continue with this discussion... but please without any Prejudice... :) thanx...

When all the atrocities were being committed on Sikhz in Punjab, what were all overseaz Sikhz doing. No one could gather the courage to call an International Human Rights Org to intervene... like Amnesty International etc... Where were these "so called" overseaz Punjabi Sikhz then ?

What was there contribution towardz that cause... or you people think that Punjabi Sikhz have no connection with Western Sikhz as I would gather from some of your posts...

No hard feelingz...

BCM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

praavah i dont care about NRI indians...im def. nt a proud indian but i wont go into that(and i find it hard to believe any sikh is after the way they treat us)...wat i was shocked to read was this...

I have got somthing to say here.. but alas!!! Time is not permitting me. and I don't want to write anything in hurry or without proper thinking.. So leaving it here for now..

When all the atrocities were being committed on Sikhz in Punjab, what were all overseaz Sikhz doing. No one could gather the courage to call an International Human Rights Org to intervene... like Amnesty International etc... Where were these "so called" overseaz Punjabi Sikhz then ?

What was there contribution towardz that cause... or you people think that Punjabi Sikhz have no connection with Western Sikhz as I would gather from some of your posts...

wat didnt western sikhs do?? sikhs pressured those groups but at the end of the day its up to those groups wether they choose 2 act....

the problem lies deeper than wat meets the eye...The GOI tactics are cleverer than we think...n i think "western" sikhs are the only ones campaigning for anything at the moment, at least they are the only ones maing their presence felt...

so before you say what did we do....tell us what we didnt do!

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

No hard feelingz...

BCM

Although at the time all this was going on in India I was pretty young, from about the age of 10 I have been told about everything that has happened back in Punjab and everything that has been done by Sikhs abroad.

I for one know that a lot of people from where I'm from did a lot, are still doing a lot for the people of Punjab and are still campaigning for the basic human rights of Sikhs in India, by this I am refering to the people (and their families) who have been arrested, imprisoned and in some cases murdered by some authorities in India.

Fateh Ji,

Although at the time all this was going on in India I was pretty young, from about the age of 10 I have been told about everything that has happened back in Punjab and everything that has been done by Sikhs abroad.

I for one know that a lot of people from where I'm from did a lot, are still doing a lot for the people of Punjab and are still campaigning for the basic human rights of Sikhs in India, by this I am refering to the people (and their families) who have been arrested, imprisoned and in some cases murdered by some authorities in India.

I have absolutely no doubtz that everybody sincere is/has doing his/her bit for the cause of Sikhism but the only this that irks me is the BS of 'Punjabi' Sikhz or 'Western' Sikhz or 'Whatever' Sikhz...

Cant we just call ourselves Sikhz... A single united identity... We Sikhz... :?:

i agree but correct me if im wrong but i believe it was you who 1st labelled us as NRI sikhs....

and it was you who wrote out these lines

and NOW you say that we shouldnt label each other...after you complained about us not doing enough and after you started the thread about "western" sikhs...

if you gonna tell us to be united you show it too...coz from where im standing it lks as tho your being a bit hypocritical.

i agree but correct me if im wrong but i believe it was you who 1st labelled us as NRI sikhs.... and it was you who wrote out these lines

Dear Jassa, please correct me if I am wrong... by NRI Sikhz is meant every Sikh putting up outside India and no where did I say that two of them are seperate identities... if I did then please quote me... and moreover after noticing some attitude problem with "NRI" term, I had made the amendmentz to topic heading as well. By pointing to resolved matter you are not doing any good to the discussion.

and NOW you say that we shouldnt label each other...after you complained about us not doing enough and after you started the thread about "western" sikhs...

I dont get Whatz the problem with discussing... :roll:

if you gonna tell us to be united you show it too...coz from where im standing it lks as tho your being a bit hypocritical.

Thatz your personal judgement coz I can not stand where you are standing . I need not give clarificationz on your judgement. I respect your understanding on the subject.

Regardz

on one hand u say

I have absolutely no doubtz that everybody sincere is/has doing his/her bit for the cause of Sikhism but the only this that irks me is the BS of 'Punjabi' Sikhz or 'Western' Sikhz or 'Whatever' Sikhz...

Cant we just call ourselves Sikhz... A single united identity... We Sikhz...

den d next minute u label us again...u dont make up your mind

When all the atrocities were being committed on Sikhz in Punjab, what were all overseaz Sikhz doing. No one could gather the courage to call an International Human Rights Org to intervene... like Amnesty International etc... Where were these "so called" overseaz Punjabi Sikhz then

read dat again.....

and den the next thing u sed was

now is that not hypocritical???

dont avoid d question like u did last time...cz you say something...then when confronted about it you go on the defensive and say what is this bullshit about western sikhs or wateva wen it was YOU who started it..

so instead of avoiding it again tell me why on one hand you say that you hate this bullshit of western sikhs or indian sikhs wateva, but then you also accuse western sikhs of not doing anything???

on one hand u say

Cant we just call ourselves Sikhz... A single united identity... We Sikhz...

den d next minute u label us again...u dont make up your mind

No, I have made up my mind. You dont want to read it.

When all the atrocities were being committed on Sikhz in Punjab, what were all overseaz Sikhz doing. No one could gather the courage to call an International Human Rights Org to intervene... like Amnesty International etc... Where were these "so called" overseaz Punjabi Sikhz then

read dat again.....

Yeah! I hear you... but before that comment please read the personal statements made my Bikramjit Paaji. Read it and then put yourself in my shoes and think without prejudice,

and den the next thing u sed was

Now is that not hypocritical???

You do not get it at all... :roll: Actually, I am trying to avoid needless bitter arguemnts... to give some breathing space for some healthy discussion...

dont avoid d question like u did last time...cz you say something...then when confronted about it you go on the defensive and say what is this bullshit about western sikhs or wateva wen it was YOU who started it..

Huh! Defensive!! :LOL: Dear Jassa, Oye yaar tainu ik gall pallae nahi paendi... I just want to avoid bittter arguments... Please DO NOT not treat my humbleness to avoid needless arguements as my weakness. :!:, otherwise I too can counter attack pity viciously... but I have reaslied that is no use indulging such pointless arguments... :!:

Moreover, I could not find anybody in this forum who would come forward with open mind to reply my simple questions without prejudice against "so called" Punjabi Sikhs or making personal remarks... I have reapeatedly said on this forum that When some of you guys can personaly attack "so called" Punjabi Sikhs then be prepared for the same. There is not point in avoiding this fact.

so instead of avoiding it again tell me why on one hand you say that you hate this bullshit of western sikhs or indian sikhs wateva, but then you also accuse western sikhs of not doing anything???

But before reading this statement read the statments by Bikram Paaji... Agreed I raised the question at first place coz I had not imagined the strange negative attitude of some of the forum memberz... But I stick to my question as ever. :!:

Humbly

does it matter wat bikramjit singh said??

all he said was how sikhs froms outside wanted 2 disassociate themselves form india...

but you said how singhs from outsiude did nothing....

you started the discussion on overseas sikhs and their contribution, and now youve given us your opinion...therefore from my part there is no need for me to continue....

incase anyone missed out "ideal singhs" view on the contribution of outside sikhs ill repost it...

IDEAL SINGH SAID:

k ideal ive seen your views no need for any more hurtful remarks so ill end my bit on this thread...

vahiguru ji ka khalsa vahiguru ji ki fateh

does it matter wat bikramjit singh said??

all he said was how sikhs froms outside wanted 2 disassociate themselves form india...

but you said how singhs from outsiude did nothing....

you started the discussion on overseas sikhs and their contribution, and now youve given us your opinion...therefore from my part there is no need for me to continue....

incase anyone missed out "ideal singhs" view on the contribution of outside sikhs ill repost it...

IDEAL SINGH SAID:

k ideal ive seen your views no need for any more hurtful remarks so ill end my bit on this thread...

vahiguru ji ka khalsa vahiguru ji ki fateh

DHANWAD !!

a gurmat camp is a event more or less organised by younger sikhs for other youth

a remote area is chosen which includes living quarters, a darbar hall, and langar hall.. people get a chance to mingle with other sikhs of same age and learn about their religion

gurmat camps include discussions between the visitors, lectures from various guests, kirtan sessions, physical sports etc etc

Thatz nice... :D