Important new book on the Khalsa coming up--The Sikh Wars Source Book

Jatro

Having read tons of historical books over the years I have to say I'm very cautious about books written by white man about such subjects. Yes, I read them for any new information and sources but......they just never ever seem to overcome their own 'occidental' biases. When you read their books there is always either overt or subtle assumptions in the writing that stem from some deeply rooted (and sometimes possibly subconscious) cultural/racial supremacist mindset.

There is often a subtle theme of Sikhs being upstarts and deserving of being attacked and subverted embedded into such works. They use the juxtaposition of Sikh valor/bravery and their own dubious victory to try and underscore their own assumed intellectual and military superiority. They cover this up by throwing a few compliments our way, which certain weak minded brothers lap up with excess enthusiasm blinding them to the truth. They especially love doing this along caste lines, with certain dim-witted communities lapping it up like love starved orphans. The rare honourable man from within them (like Cunningham) who was obviously deeply troubled by the duplicitous, back-stabbing nature of his people in relation to Sikhs (which he payed for with his life) - gets completely ignored. Problem is, too many of our lot don't seem to have the reflective, critical thinking skills to assess such works and get whipped up by insidious flattery instead. 

So I'd be interested to know the background of this author? And given the conspicuous European lack of success in their modern day attempts at international imperialism, I hope it isn't another attempt to try and boost their waning moral by harking back to a time when they had a very murky 'success' in  attacking a state that they had positioned as their 'allies only a few years earlier. What is Andrew Preziosi's objective? 

2 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Having read tons of historical books over the years I have to say I'm very cautious about books written by white man about such subjects. Yes, I read them for any new information and sources but......they just never ever seem to overcome their own 'occidental' biases. When you read their books there is always either overt or subtle assumptions in the writing that stem from some deeply rooted (and sometimes possibly subconscious) cultural/racial supremacist mindset.

There is often a subtle theme of Sikhs being upstarts and deserving of being attacked and subverted embedded into such works. They use the juxtaposition of Sikh valor/bravery and their own dubious victory to try and underscore their own assumed intellectual and military superiority. They cover this up by throwing a few compliments our way, which certain weak minded brothers lap up with excess enthusiasm blinding them to the truth. They especially love doing this along caste lines, with certain dim-witted communities lapping it up like love starved orphans. The rare honourable man from within them (like Cunningham) who was obviously deeply troubled by the duplicitous, back-stabbing nature of his people in relation to Sikhs (which he payed for with his life) - gets completely ignored. Problem is, too many of our lot don't seem to have the reflective, critical thinking skills to assess such works and get whipped up by insidious flattery instead. 

So I'd be interested to know the background of this author? And given the conspicuous European lack of success in their modern day attempts at international imperialism, I hope it isn't another attempt to try and boost their waning moral by harking back to a time when they had a very murky 'success' in  attacking a state that they had positioned as their 'allies only a few years earlier. What is Andrew Preziosi's objective? 

I think he is a military history enthusiast, a lot of information about us is lying unused in British archives, if he can provide good info on the composition of the Khalsa then it would be a good achievement. Of course, i agree with all that you have said, we should examine such works critically

1 hour ago, Jatro said:

I think he is a military history enthusiast, a lot of information about us is lying unused in British archives, if he can provide good info on the composition of the Khalsa then it would be a good achievement. Of course, i agree with all that you have said, we should examine such works critically

Yeah, he's probably got his own agenda too.