How the 5ks were established

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

can someone answer this question for me. I've heard two different views on how the 5 Ks were established. One version says that a Guru challed volunteers into a tent to sacrifice themselves, but the guru killed lambs making it look like he had killed the volunteers, the other view is that he actually beheaded the 5 volunteers in front of everyone.. As only 5 had come forward, hence there are 5 Ks.

Which version is true?

Also if it's the latter, isn't that murder albeit via human sacrifice. ?

The five payare were the five Sikh volunteers who were the first five to be inducted in the Khalsa Order by Guru Gobind Singh ji.  The Five K on the other hand are five mandatory signs Kesh (uncut hair), Kara (iron bracelet), Kangha (comb), Kirpan (dagger) and Kachh (Shorts) which every Khalsa must maintain.  I assume that you mean 5 Pyare (the five beloved ones) and not 5K in your query above.

Gurbani tells us that a person must efface ego before he/she can merge with God.  A mark of effacing ego is to surrender tan/man/dhan (ie. surrender your body, mind and pocessions to the Guru or God).  By the time of Guru Gobind Singh ji, the Sikhs had been reading this message in Gurbani for generations but not many were living it.  The Guru wanted to establish Khalsa using correct role models.  Hence he asked a Sikh to come forward to get his head chopped by the Guru's sword.  When the first Sikh arose to the challenge, the Guru took the Sikh into a tent and emerged with a sword dripping blood.  He repeated this action five times.  In the end, the Guru brought the five volunteer Sikhs from the tent as Five Pyare.

Other than the 5P and the Guru, no other mortal knows what really happened inside the tent.  There is lots of speculation (you have mentioned two versions above).  Once a Sikh asked Sant Isher Singh ji Rarawale what really happened inside the tent?  Sant ji, who was an enlightened soul answered, "Since the Guru wanted to keep it a secret, why should we be speculating"?

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Guest guest
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Also if it's the latter, isn't that murder albeit via human sacrifice. ?

no because if you believe he cut off their heads he also brought them back to life.  how many murderers can do that?  

ultimate test of devotion is to be willing to die for the thing you are devoted and in Sikh and Hindu Theology a person is said to be devoted to their Guru is they are willing to trust them and follow their orders.  Such faith reaches God.

p.s. a sense this is another troll, but since the post was written so straight forwardly (rather than manipulatively) I *deigned* to respond.

Trump in the 1870s asserted that the Guru engaged in human sacrifice.

Regarding the sheep that were slaugthered, some people are of the opinion that the mentioning of sheep is a poetic and symbolic representation of the Guru having slaugthered the sheep-like nature of man in order to create the Khalsa.

• 1 month later...
Guest Brahmgyani Sikh Khoj

The institution of Panj Pyare is older than Guru Gobind Singhs Vaisakhi.

Kesar Singh Chibber mentions it in in his Bansawlinama Dasan Patshahian Ka - 1769. Bhai Kahan Singh also confirms it in his Mahan Kosh by giving reference to Bhai Gurdas Dian Vaaran and the occurence of Panj Pyare in there.

The 5 Ks are a modern invention. Do not misconstrue my words, the Kesh, Kangha, Kachehra, Kirpan and Kara are of immense importance for the Khalsa. Some of these were also in use amongst Sikhs prior to Guru Gobind Singh, albeit perhaps not as mandatory as after the Vaisakhi of Guru Gobind Singh.

No old source (i.e. 1700 - 1800) mentions the 5 kakkaars as such. With the exception of the dubious Sri Gur Katha & Guru Kian Sakhian most other, more renowned Granths (therefore not more authentic) mention the Trai Mudra (i.e. Kesh Kach Kirpan). It is just our fascination with the 5 that we turned it into five kakkaars (even though Kara and Kangha were compulsory too) just like we turned one Akaal Bunga into 5 Takhts and even the nitnem doesn't have 5 banian if we examine it historically.

Khoji.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 0:51 PM, Guest Brahmgyani Sikh Khoj said:

The 5 Ks are a modern invention. Do not misconstrue my words, the Kesh, Kangha, Kachehra, Kirpan and Kara are of immense importance for the Khalsa. Some of these were also in use amongst Sikhs prior to Guru Gobind Singh, albeit perhaps not as mandatory as after the Vaisakhi of Guru Gobind Singh.No old source (i.e. 1700 - 1800) mentions the 5 kakkaars as such. With the exception of the dubious Sri Gur Katha & Guru Kian Sakhian most other, more renowned Granths (therefore not more authentic) mention the Trai Mudra (i.e. Kesh Kach Kirpan). It is just our fascination with the 5 that we turned it into five kakkaars (even though Kara and Kangha were compulsory too) just like we turned one Akaal Bunga into 5 Takhts and even the nitnem doesn't have 5 banian if we examine it historically.  

Yeah, Uhmm that's BS. Sri Gur Katha isn't dubious, you are. You cast doubts and concoct crap quite skillfully. Had you read the Sri Gur katha and it's background, you probably wouldn't be making these ridiculous and baseless assertions. I've already said enough about it's authenticity in the Sri Gur Katha thread.  A manuscript of Bhai Prahlad Singh's Rehatnama (as far as the inconsistent dating argument goes, that date isn't written by Bhai Prahlad Singh, in old manuscripts you'll see all kinds of additions and insertions made here and there. In the case of the date, it either appears in the middle of the Rehatnama, towards the end, or not at all.) has A Chaupai mentioning the Panj Kakkars.   

Despite calling yourself a Khoji, you don't actually do any Khoj.  You'll read a little here and there before you begin your drivel.