Kirtan Parampara

Bhai Baldeep Singh & The Kirtan Parampara

Kanwar Ranvir Singh

The Sikh Centre For Archives And Research, C-43 East Nizamuddin East, New Delhi.1100 13.

About a decade ago, Bhai Baldeep Singh was faced with a major existential dilemma. Having been selected to train as a commissioned officer of the Indian Air Force he was torn between the lure of the aerial flights and the abiding desire to spiritually take off in a humble and yet dogged pursuit of a tradition - the Gurbani Kirtan Parampara - that had been silently haunting him since early childhood.

Making his choice at a relatively young age, he began with the earnestness of a devout learner - meditating the key concepts and exegetical texts, meeting legendary exponents and scholars, going over the Holy Scripture -the Guru Granth Sahib - endlessly. Gradually, the pursuit began to mature and yield fruit. He began to emerge as a compelling presence in the service of the great tradition.

He had the unique opportunity to train under the legendary percussionist, Ustad Bhai Arjan Singh Tarangar (1900-95), and learn the musical values of "raga-naad" and "laya-taal" which have been traditionally used in our kirtan parampara. His training continued under the tutelage of Ustad Mohinder Singh who nurtured his talent with great love and care. Eventually Bhai Baldeep Singh emerged as a leading percussionist and the only exponent today of "jori-pakhawaj" of our glorious tradition.

Lately, he has been accompanying the septuagenarian, Bhai Avtar Singh Ragi - whose musical repertoire has effloresced, yet again, in the deep resonance of these nearly forgotten percussions.

The spiritual power of these percussion instruments has been acknowledged by a maestro like ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar. Bhai Baldeep Singh has had the honour of accompanying him in some of the major Indian concerts. His rendition of these old instruments won him not only rave reviews but ecstatic response as well.

Bhai Baldeep Singh is also undergoing intensive training in "naad-yoga" and "dhrupad" from Ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar for almost a decade. He has also had the opportunity to be closely associated with the Talwandi School of Dhrupad Gayaki and to learn from Ustad M. Hafiz Khan of Lahore.

Bhai Baldeep Singh is also uniquely privileged to belong to the 13th generation of a family of illustrious ragis whose musical origins date back to the time of the great Sikh Gurus. His grand-uncles and teachers, Bhai Gurcharan Singh Raagi and Bhai Avtar Singh Raagi both under their father, legendary Baba Jwala Singh, who is widely revered as a saint-scholar and a prodigious musician of 20th century.

It was under the supervision of his grand-uncles that Bhai Baldeep learnt to authentically render over 500 traditional compositions of the Bani. Some of these ancient compositions are said to have been conceived by the Sikh Gurus themselves. Bhai Avtar Singh and Bhai Gurcharan Singh published the notations of these compositions in two volumes in 1977 at the invitation of Punjabi University, Patiala.

Bhai Baldeep Singh has also committed himself to the task of bringing the once-active string instruments back into the living tradition of the kirtan parampara. One of the instruments he has revived is the vintage "taus". He not only makes the instrument himself but has lately played the same in the company of Bhai Avtar Singh Raagi. The instrument dating back to the sixth Sikh Master used to be played till about 50 years back as an accompanying instrument with/by legends like Baba Jwala Singh, Bhai Batan Singh, Bhai Dal Singh and Bhai Moti.

Rooted in the tradition of Sikh scholarship and gurbani tradition, Bhai Baldeep Singh is a sought after teacher and musician. He has travelled widely to Europe, North America, Singapore and Australia, holding numerous workshops and giving concerts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's great someone is sticking to the original Parampara of our great Gurbani Sangeet! I heard this talented GurSikh live, he was amazing, truly makes you wish there were more Sikhs following this Maryada.

Naamdharis are pretty strict about keeping a strict discipline when singing Keertan, and they seem to be the most talented of all Sikhs, especially in instrumental music.

Guest BikramjitSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Gurpreet

Do you know whether there are any tapes or video tapes available of Bhai Baldeep Singh doing Kirtan ?

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Bik, I don't know where you can buy them, but I have two video tapes of Bhai Sahib which I can give you when I'm back.

JSingh Ji, Bhai Sahib did Kirtan in Wolves last month and my Dad recorded the program, also I recently heard him live in Delhi, where I am on holiday and he was performing at a Raag Darbar. Also, his accompanists were Namdhari Sukhwinder 'Pinky' Singh on Jori-Pakhawaj and another musician (forgot his name) playing the Rudra Veena, brilliant result!

Guest BikramjitSingh

Bik, I don't know where you can buy them, but I have two video tapes of Bhai Sahib which I can give you when I'm back.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank you Gurpreet Kaur Ji. If Bhai Baldeep Singh's videos are good then lose any hope of getting them back. As the local libraries have found out to their cost, if I borrow something and I like it then it stays with me ! :)

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Guest BikramjitSingh

just make copies and send them - NEVER GIVE UR ORIGINALS... ive been robbed nuff times by theifs like bikramjit :twisted: :P

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Steel Bangle Ji

Me a Thief !! :( . As Grotbags used to say on the Pink Windmill,.. oy that's very personal :)

http://tv.cream.org/rodbags.jpg

Grotbags is the one in the green :)

Never been more insulted in all my life. I know I should get out more :) :)

:)I don't consider it theft. Theft is when you take something without the other person's knowledge. I like to call it 'extended borrowing' or 'borrowing for an indefinate period' :)

Just feel that the videos have a better home with me and if someone lends a..ahem.. chor like me their originals, they can't really care about them that much anyway, eh ? :)

Hey come to think of it I even keep the videos that I don't like. All my Footy World Cup games are recorded over other peoples' marriage videos.

Just like to thank those countless good people who sacrificed their most treasured memories so that I could have a world cup videos collection.

Hope they weren't originals :roll:

GurFateh

Bikramjit

• 1 month later...

Bhai Baldeep Singh is also undergoing intensive training in "naad-yoga" and "dhrupad" from Ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar for almost a decade.

:oops: Thus, Bhai Baldeep Singh belongs to 'Dagar Prampra'. :shock: Does the 'Dagar Prampra' really belong to 'Sikh Keertan Prampra'? :?:

-'Amrit'

Eh? I don't understand your point Paramjit?

The article clearly states that Bhai Baldeep Singh is training with Dagar brothers...therefore, if he replicates the Dagar style of Dhrupad and Dhammar he is therefore part of the Dagar parampra MUSICALLY SPEAKING!

It would not mean that the Dagar parampra have become followers of Sikhi, nor would it mean that Bhai Baldeep Singh has become a Muslim!!!!!

Perhaps you are confusing musical parampra with religious beliefs!

Mind you, you often find in many of the life stories of the great Hindustani classical artists of the last few centuries frequently rose above religious boundaries in the pursiut of music (e.g. those brahmin students of Muslim Ustads such as Ustad Amir Khan, the Dagar tradition of dhrupad which is effectively the musical meditation on choice sanskrit verses)