The Gurus

Sikhnie

Sat sri akal..

I have this question, we have pictures of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the other gurus. But how can we be sure they looked like this?

Its not the picture (aakaar) which is important. It is emotion (bhavna) what make the difference.

The pictures of guru ji is not to be worshiped.. They are to be respected etc... Don't go on to the Aakar ( Rang/Roop) .. Almighty is Nirakaaar.

Any Picture, with you choice, With sincere devotion of yours (wiil) become(s) Guru/almighty...

Sat sri akal..

I have this question, we have pictures of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the other gurus. But how can we be sure they looked like this?

An artist once asked Baba Nand Singh Ji to give him darshan of Satguru Nanak.Baba Nand Singh told the artist to follow him to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji.Baba Ji showed the artist the beautiful Bani of Guru Granth Sahib and told him that this is Satguru Nanak, here within Gurbani.

You want darshan of Satguru Nanak, read Gurbani. :D

Its not the picture (aakaar) which is important. It is emotion (bhavna) what make the difference

An priceless comment one in a million. You damn right mate. Its bhavna(attachment,emotion, obbebbesion) towards guroo.

Reminds of this sakhi- When guroo angad (bhai lehna ji) asked bhai bhala...tusi guroo nanak sahib kai karkaie jatta(what do u think of guroo nanak sahib ji)....bhai bhala replied...mein guroo nanak sahib ji mahapursh kar kaie jatta (i recnognized guroo ji as mahapursh) then guroo angad dev ji smiled and said guroo nanak sahib nirankar saroop haaie (Guroo nanak was god himself)... he said to bhai bhala you recnognized guroo nanak as mahapursh you become mahapursh..jis tera bhavna hundii aa sikhi dii..ustra hii ban janda haie....and sangat asked guroo ji how did u recnognize guroo nanak sahib..guroo angad sahib said mein guroo nanak sahib nouo par bhram guroo paremsar kar kaie jatta...pure nirankar...

Moral of this sakhi- Jis tera bhavna hundii aa sikh dii ustra hii phaal(gift) mil da hai...

I think this concept is really really important within our sikhs of today. Bhavna is only thing matters between us "sikh" learners and mahapursh who has done soo much simran that there is no him..there is only guroo...

sardu veer ji you made my day...sirraie laa tiii purkha :LOL::LOL:

akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hee akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal :D

Guest Javanmard

SOme of our Gurus had portraits mad of themselves. In Patna sahib there used to be a painting depicting Guru Gobind SIngh painted by an Italian artist on order of Bahadur Shah. Unfortunately no one knows where that painting is now. Imagine a life portrait of Maharaj :shock:

Guest BikramjitSingh

SOme of our Gurus had portraits mad of themselves. In Patna sahib there used to be a painting depicting Guru Gobind SIngh painted by an Italian artist on order of Bahadur Shah. Unfortunately no one knows where that painting is now. Imagine a life portrait of Maharaj :shock:

I think you are mistaken. There was a portrait done of Guru Tegh Bahadur by a bengali artist which was in the Nanakshahi Gurdwara in Decca until 1971. When Bangaldesh was liberated in 1971 Bhag Singh who was the editor of the Sikh review magazine in Calcutta took the painting to be restored but it was lost presumably in the Victoria museum in Calcutta.

Guest Javanmard

Reference of that portrait of Gur Gobind SIngh is in Tara SIngh Narotam's Gur Tiratgh Sangrahi. So this is a 19th century source, God knows what happened with that painting but in Narotam Ji's times it was still there.

An priceless comment one in a million. You damn right mate. Its bhavna(attachment,emotion, obbebbesion) towards guroo.

Reminds of this sakhi- When guroo angad (bhai lehna ji) asked bhai bhala...tusi guroo nanak sahib kai karkaie jatta(what do u think of guroo nanak sahib ji)....bhai bhala replied...mein guroo nanak sahib ji mahapursh kar kaie jatta (i recnognized guroo ji as mahapursh) then guroo angad dev ji smiled and said guroo nanak sahib nirankar saroop haaie (Guroo nanak was god himself)... he said to bhai bhala you recnognized guroo nanak as mahapursh you become mahapursh..jis tera bhavna hundii aa sikhi dii..ustra hii ban janda haie....and sangat asked guroo ji how did u recnognize guroo nanak sahib..guroo angad sahib said mein guroo nanak sahib nouo par bhram guroo paremsar kar kaie jatta...pure nirankar...

Moral of this sakhi- Jis tera bhavna hundii aa sikh dii ustra hii phaal(gift) mil da hai...

I think this concept is really really important within our sikhs of today. Bhavna is only thing matters between us "sikh" learners and mahapursh who has done soo much simran that there is no him..there is only guroo...

sardu veer ji you made my day...sirraie laa tiii purkha :LOL::LOL:

akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hee akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal :D

:D .. you are great veere!!!