Hari's guide to Advait Vedant.

I'm not being conceited, this is "my" guide, because it is not the opinion of an expert, namely me.I am not an expert, nor am I a scholar, nor a budding scholar of Advait Vedant.

I will explain in a simple way.

What does Advait Vedaant (Advaita Vedanta) mean?

Advait = non-dual or non-duality, oneness

Vedaant = Veda + ant, conclusion to the Vedas

Non-dual conclusion to the Veda.Sikhi is Advait doctrine.There is only the One, no other.Oneness, Singularity.

The most famous teacher (acarya) of Advait Vedant is Shankar or Shankaracarya.He is supposed to have lived from 788 C.E* to 822 C.E, and was born in Kerala, S.India.

To learn more about Shankar and Advait Vedant, visit:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/

Advait Vedant is about the One, who is named as Brahman (Gurbani: Brahm).Brahman or Parbrahman (Paarbrahm) is neuter.Brahman is usually refered to as "It" or "That" in Advait Vedant scripture, which are the principal Upanishads, Srimad Bhagvad Gita and Brahm Sutra.I think they are 13 principal Upanishad.Off the top of my head, I think some of the principal Upanishad are: Chaandogya Upanishad, Maandukya Upanishad, Kath Upanishad (personal favourite), Isha Upanishad and a few others I can't remember.

I have read English translations of Upanishads and Bhagvad Gita.I know nothing of the Brahm Sutra. :(

I highly recommend you read these old Indian scriptures.It will enrich your life and understanding of Gurbani, especially regarding mythological and esoteric references in Gurbani.They are there.

What does Madhusudan and Moraar in Gurbani refer to?Why is there reference to Bhagvat Puran mythology in Gurbani?

Read and understand Indian mythology and you will know why.

I am sure I've typed something wrong about Advait Vedant.Please correct my mistakes.

Lalleshvari?

*Common Era (same as A.D)

Important Adi Shankaracharya compositions worth reading are;

His shorter works;

Vivekchudamani

Bhaja Govindam

Aatma Bodh

His major works including his commentaries on the following;

Brahm-Sutras (Brahm-Sutra Bhasya)

Upanishads

Other works on advait vedant worth reading include;

Panchadasi