eqaulity

i dont get why some people say that they are so religious than all of a sudden they turn round and say that you'r a girl and you can't do that and you can't do this. Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that every body is equal be it a girl or boy or disabled or not so why do some amartari people turn round and say that you cant do this because you'r a girl and that is so not fair will sombody please explain why this happens

We believe in equality but not in this Gora Way that whatever men can do women can do or visa versa. Our Equality is more like that women are better in some roles rather than men and that men are better in some roles rather than women. But in some cases it has been known that if a women is more like a man then they can have a more manish duty. and visa versa.

Mugermach Singh - wot u have said is true and that doez explain wots going on

some of you wanted to know wot i've been told that i can do and wot i can't do.

ma bro's allowed to go in 2 town and chill with his friends but i'm not because i'm a girl or i'm not allowed 2

or i cant go to my friends house becuase i'm a girl i dont find that fair but i guess wot Mugermach Singh said is true that we dont life in a gora world we live in the punjabi world

Well i dunno about a lot of your family life but my sisters understand it is not very safe for a gal to be roaming the streets bythemselves in this day and age. There are lot of nasty evil people around. Instead of fightin youir parents you should try to see there point of view. If it makes sense then cool, but if it does not try to justify and clarify it as best as you can. We have some double standards but if you are fighting just to fight then your only digging yourself a bigger hole.

Dont start dissing the girl coz she wrote Jatt in her name, she did not mention that she feels superior/inferior to anyone on this board. Dont assume so much. Jatt = Farmer. I am a Jatt that would be my trade. I know the "typical" Jatt self proclaiming idoit. But this gal did not say anything offensive or put anyone down. So give her a break.

yeh she didnt say neting about being jatt....i mean i wud b considered one if i believed there was such thing....

but phenji....we shouldnt even recognise that jatt even exists...or tharkhan, chammar paapeh etc...

its in our culture...not in our religion...

just keep ur names as khalsa kuri or sikh kuri or summin...it stops ppl gettin the wrong impression...coz jatt kuri shouldnt be recognised by any sikh of the guru.. sorry if you tink im jus tryin 2 pick on any1!! im not...my parents are heavily into this jaath paath stuff and i give them a hard time too!!!

i dnt believe in this bullshit caste system but, but, but y shouldnt you realise that they exist?

thats like sayin that doctors dont exist nor lawyers etc, actually i wrote an email out for a friend to give to her friend on this subject , i will clean it up (get rid of all swear words) then post it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I think we have to make the distinction between what sikhi says and what punjabi/indian culture dictates. Sikhism promotes universal equality of all people. No where does it say that men can do some things and women others.

While, I agree their are some innate differences between men and women biologically (i.e. pregnancy), their are numerous examples in Sikh history of women doing the "traditional roles" of men just as well if not better.

It is true - women get the short of the stick in our community. To believe otherwise would be ignorant. We can't change how the old generation views gender roles - but as the youth we can take an active role to be more fairer in how we raise our children.