Sehaj Avastha

Gauree:

There is no rainy season, ocean, sunshine or shade, no creation or destruction there.

No life or death, no pain or pleasure is felt there. There is only the Primal Trance of Samaadhi, and no duality. ||1||

The description of the state of intuitive poise is indescribable and sublime.

It is not measured, and it is not exhausted. It is neither light nor heavy. ||1||Pause||

Neither lower nor upper worlds are there; neither day nor night are there.

There is no water, wind or fire; there, the True Guru is contained. ||2||

The Inaccessible and Unfathomable Lord dwells there within Himself; by Guru's Grace, He is found.

Says Kabeer, I am a sacrifice to my Guru; I remain in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||3||4||48||

Bhagat Kabeer Ji described 'Sehaj Avastha'. How do we know when and if we experience it? Is it the same for everyone? Or is it a unique individual experience for everyone?

Original Shabd or page number is needed. Sometimes, it is hard to digest available English translations.

Well, the 'Shabd' number is given, so it should not be difficult to find it in Sri Guru Granth Sahib either.

Gaurhee.

Tah Paavas Sindh Dhoop Nahee Chhaheeyaa Tah Utpat Parlau Naahee.

Jeevan Mirat Na Dukh Sukh Biyaapai Sunn Smaadh Doyoo Tah Naahee. 1.

Sahaj Kee Akath Katha Hai Niraaree.

Tul Nahee Chadhhai Jaaye Na Mukaatee Halukee Lagai Na Bhaaree. 1. Rahaayo.

Aradh Uradh Doyoo Tah Naahee Raat Dinas Tah Naahee.

Jal Nahee Pavan Paavak Phun Naahee Satgur Tahaa Smaahee. 2.

Agam Agochar Rahai Nirantar Gur Kirpa Te Laheeyai.

Kaho Kabeer Bal Jayon Gur Apune Satsangat Mil Raheeyai. 3. 4. 48.

(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, page 333).

Literary, the word 'Sahaj' belongs to the 'Sanskrit' language. This is the combination of two words, 'Sah' and 'ja'. The word 'Sah' means 'co', 'with', 'along with' etc. The word 'Ja' means 'which is born/produced'. Both of the words, 'Sah' + 'Ja', mean 'which is born along with something'.

Thus, 'Sahaj' is something, which is born or produced along with us, when we were born. If we follow these meanings, we can reach on the conclusion that 'Sahaj' was something we had lost after our birth. The motive of our meditation is, thus, to regain it.

The word 'Sahaj' contains other meanings too. As a noun, this word is used by one of the twin (only boys) for the second one.

The other meanings of the word 'Sahaj' are 'habit', 'joy', 'honor', 'spontaneous', 'thought', 'easily', 'knowledge', 'God' and 'without any effort' etc.

In the Indian religious tradition, the word 'Sahaj' is used frequently. In Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, we find this word used for many times. But, unfortunately, the Brahman preachers (and now Sikh preachers too) created too much confusion about the meaning of this word.

When we check all the meanings given above, we can easily know that the 'Sahaj' is something we have lost after our birth, which was joyful ('Anand Bhya Meree Maaye', page 917), which can be gotten without any effort ('Kaahoo Jugat Kitai Na Paayeeyai Dharam', page 274). And also, the 'Sahaj' could be synonymous to the word God.

A famous translator of Sri Guru Granth Sahib says that 'Sahaj' is a particular state of mind. But, if the word 'Sahaj' is also a synonymous to God, then it is hard to accept that the 'Sahaj' is just a state of mind. I mean, happiness is a state of mind; sadness is a state of mind. If something is a state of mind, we can compare it to another state of mind. On the other hand, the 'Sahaj' is 'Tul Nahee Chadhhai'; the 'Sahaj' is incomparable.

The 'Antaihkaran' is divided into four parts. The 'man' ('Sanskrit' word) or mind is one of them. (The 'man' has also been used for soul in the Gurbani). The mind is made of 'Trai Gun', but the 'Sahaj' is beyond of 'Trai Gun'. Guru Amardaas Jee clearly announced: -

"Trih Gunaan Vich Sahaj Na Paayeeyai"

(The 'Sahaj' cannot be obtained in 'Trai Gun'). (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 68 ).

(Also, check where 'mind' is situated in 'Panch Kosh'. Compare 'Manomayee Kosh' to 'Anandmayee Kosh'. Then, decide yourself what is 'Anand', 'Sahaj', 'Chautha Pad'. The concept of 'Sahaj' is very clear, just feel the 'Anandmayee Kosh').

Thus, the 'Sahaj' is not merely a state of mind. The mind cannot reach there, where 'Sahaj' is situated. (Solve the mystery of 'Sah' + 'Ja').

Bhagat Kabeer Jee says: -

"Sahaj Kee Akath Katha Hai Niraaree".

Kee = of

Akath = who/which cannot be describe, inexpressible.

Katha = description, sermon, story.

Hai = is.

Niraaree = queer, extraordinary, strange, different to all.

The 'Akath' 'Katha' of 'Sahaj' is 'Niraaree'.

The inexpressible description of the 'Sahaj' is different to all.

Inexpressible description? We are giving its description, and is it still inexpressible?

That is why it is 'Niraaree'. To get the 'Sahaj' is the only motive of our life. How can we stop ourselves to talk about it? We will have to talk about a thing we are searching for. Talking about the thing we need too much makes us more determined to get it. The continuous description (though inexpressible) creates love for the 'Sahaj' in our hearts. The continuous description leads us to 'Veechar', the consideration. The 'Veechar' tells us that we can get the 'Sahaj' only by the Grace of the Guru.

See, how a worldly person talks about money again and again. Can he get money just reciting 'money-money'? No, no way. But, by doing so, he is becoming more determined to earn money. This determination will lead him to earn money, if he makes effort in this regard.

But, 'Sahaj' is something we cannot get by our efforts. The hidden truth is that the 'Sahaj' is not kept elsewhere. It exits everywhere. Only thing needed is to realize that 'Sahaj' exits everywhere. If we try to understand the mystery behind the combination of the words 'Sah' and 'Ja' ('Sah' + 'Ja'), we can realize that 'Sahaj' is within us. The fact is that the soul itself is the 'Sahaj'. The 'Sahaj' is beyond the 'Trai Gun'; the pure 'Atma' (soul) is beyond the 'Trai Gun'.

By the Grace of the Guru, we can realize that the 'Trai Gun' cause 'Bandhan' (bond). Beyond the 'Trai Gun', there is the 'Chautha Pad'. This 'Chautha Pad' is the 'Sahaj', which has to be realized.

• 11 years later...

Sehaj avastha is our natural spontaneous choiceless effortless awareness of our real self-JOT. Effortless abidance in it is sehaj avastha.

ਜਬ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ जब निरगुन प्रभ सहज सुभाइ ॥ Jab nirgun parabẖ sahj subẖā▫e.
When God was without attributes, in absolute poise,
ਤਬ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਿਤੁ ਠਾਇ ॥ तब सिव सकति कहहु कितु ठाइ ॥
Ŧab siv sakaṯ kahhu kiṯ ṯẖā▫e. then where was mind and where was matter - where was Shiva and Shakti?

Everyone is in sehaj all the time but they are denial of it because you can't be the subject of it. It is true objectiveness.

Please share more on this? It's interesting, does true objectiveness means one to have be it - or be in state of being it as direct seer/experiencer/perceiver?

• 2 weeks later...

Gauree:

There is no rainy season, ocean, sunshine or shade, no creation or destruction there.

No life or death, no pain or pleasure is felt there. There is only the Primal Trance of Samaadhi, and no duality. ||1||

The description of the state of intuitive poise is indescribable and sublime.

It is not measured, and it is not exhausted. It is neither light nor heavy. ||1||Pause||

Neither lower nor upper worlds are there; neither day nor night are there.

There is no water, wind or fire; there, the True Guru is contained. ||2||

The Inaccessible and Unfathomable Lord dwells there within Himself; by Guru's Grace, He is found.

Says Kabeer, I am a sacrifice to my Guru; I remain in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||3||4||48||

Bhagat Kabeer Ji described 'Sehaj Avastha'. How do we know when and if we experience it? Is it the same for everyone? Or is it a unique individual experience for everyone?

Here Bhagat Kabir ji is describing a Samadhi specifically.

Sehaj avastha is the state of flow. Where you are focused on the task at hand. It does not have to be a Samadhi, although it can develop into Samadhi if there are no objects in consciousness.

A samadhi is focused solely on God, there are no objects in the consciousness. As Bhagat kabir ji describes - No seasons, no life, no death, no pleasure, no pain, no wind, no water, ... ie no objects, only God. If there are objects in consciousness, then it's not a state of samadhi but it can be a state of sehaj.

(God is not an object.)

Everyone is in sehaj all the time but they are denial of it because you can't be the subject of it. It is true objectiveness.

I wouldn't say so. I am definintely not in sehaj most of the time because I am constantly making mental effort.

Sehaj is a state of mental effortlessness. Sometimes I am in state, at other times I am not.

And you can definitely be the subject of Sehaj, that is what Samadhi is. That is true subjectiveness.

If you are in a state of Sehaj, immersed in some sort of task, then that is true objectiveness.

Please share more on this? It's interesting, does true objectiveness means one to have be it - or be in state of being it as direct seer/experiencer/perceiver?

I would say true objectiveness is where you are one with the object, one with every-thing.

True subjectiveness is where you are one with yourself, one with no-thing. As you said "state of being it as direct seer/experiencer/perceiver".

I would say true objectiveness is where you are one with the object, one with every-thing.

Turiya

True subjectiveness is where you are one with yourself, one with no-thing. As you said "state of being it as direct seer/experiencer/perceiver".

Turiya atitha

Between Turiya and Turiya athitha life flows :P

• 2 months later...

Profound example of sehaj avastha with analogy of nature of water and waves being thoughts but still being water pure non dual - advait truth- pdf page- 109 i beleive from ishvar amalok lal:

sehaj samadhi.JPG

• 5 years later...