Why Do Sikh Women Wear Turbans ? (Debate Continued)

Guest Javanmard

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Javanmard

Summeet's post is excellent! Academically strong and precise and straight to the point! Absolutely correct!

When you read a shabad you need to look at who is being addressed and take into account the different levels of hermeneutical understanding.

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, Vaheguru je ke fateh!!

I think everyone is overlooking BHAI DYA SINGH jes reitnama which states that u must weat 2 dastars

u know, one of the original panj

and, bhai sahib, do u remember who asked sant jes wife to wear a dastar in the first place? Sant Jarnail SIngh je himself asked his wife to wear a dastar

if u she didnt want to, sant jes cant force her to

The main thing is , bhai dya singh je states that u must war 2 dastars, we definiley dont know more than bhai sahib je, so that makes keski a must, and a good thing

Not making bibis a third gender

bhula chuka maf

Khalistani Bhaji,

Let me tell you one thing that Sikh woman becomes third gender or not it’s up to you or others to decide/discuss and I don't want to become part of this discussion. I'm just trying to highlight your point which states just because"Giani Gurbachan Singh's family wore dastar" it makes it mandatory for others to wear. This is what I was trying to point out as you can see and I have requested you to provide objective counter argument not what some Gursikhs did because of their devotion. We should keep this in our mind that if there are so many the ones have their family wearing Dastars then there are so many without so you can't just offer one side of solution. And if you are so concerned about what is mandatory then proceed to our old "Keski" debate and you can see lots of references and quotes.

and, bhai sahib, do u remember who asked sant jes wife to wear a dastar in the first place? Sant Jarnail SIngh je himself asked his wife to wear a dastar if u she didnt want to, sant jes cant force her to...

Why he didn't remind her Bhai Dya Singh's Rehatnama?

Also, its not an insult if im asking these questions which you might consider as an insult later on. I'm just curious to see what you come up with in relates to my question. Let me tell you my views in regards to this topic that I don't believe in forcing Sikh women to wear "Dastar" and if they wish to wear it then it is all good and it should be encouraged.

bhai sahib je, anyone who wants do something, will do it

sant je humbly asked his wife to wear a dastar, but she refeused sant jes bachan, which is her choice

sant jes not going to deck her, or beat her up or something for not wearing a dastar

we cant force anybody

and bhai sahib, it take no inslult from watever u say

and the reason for me mentioning that sant baba gurbachan singh je khalsa family wore dastars is to prove that damdami taksal has nothing against bibis wearing dastars

and i agree with u, we cant force anyone, but we can at least try to do parchaar

bhula chuka maf

sant je humbly asked his wife to wear a dastar, but she refeused sant jes bachan, which is her choice

sant jes not going to deck her, or beat her up or something for not wearing a dastar

we cant force anybody

I think everyone is overlooking BHAI DYA SINGH jes reitnama which states that u must weat 2 dastars

u know, one of the original panj

Brother Khalistani,

Your both statements contradict with each other. In one you are using "Must" and in another you are making it choice and this is what I was trying to point out. We should encourage not force.

Thank you very much for your time.

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

Don't some african women wear turbans, aside from the fact that they do not look male to me, are they third gender too? How else would you tie it respectfully on the head and cover your Kesh, other than wearing a turban, just wondered, apart from Keski's and Patka's too?

Look, just by tying a piece of cloth over your head does not make it a turban. I dont know much about African peoples but i have seen ladies in traditional attire wearing a colorful thing on their head, however it is not a turban.

What about Kilts? Do you consider Scottish folks of the third gender?

Well a kilt is a kilt and it is worn by men. If you are trying to imply that kilts and skirts are the same thing than you are sadly mistaken. I dont think Scottish women even wear kilts, and as far as "looking" like a ladies garment, cultural relativism man. Oh, and you're mistaking me for someone else by bringing up this 3rd gender stuff. I never said anything about that.

eg What about Buddhists? Are they unable to become spiritually high because they shave their heads, whereas we all know that the path to salvation is to grow our kesh?

Good point. At the risk of sounding controversial hasnt kesh got more to do with obedience and self-discipline rather than have anything to do with spirituality? Growing longs hairs does not make a person more intouch with God than someone who shaves it. Kesh i thought was supposed to be a physical commitment to Khalsa Panth, ie its all about obedience, commitment and discipline...

I don't believe in forcing Sikh women to wear "Dastar" and if they wish to wear it then it is all good and it should be encouraged.

If women want to wear a turban then its their choice but it should NOT be encouraged. Turban is a male garment, always has been. Turban has nothing to do with spirituality or faith, so why women should want to wear it?

The Turban is not going to connect you with God and you are just fooling yourself if you think so. There are plenty of other ways in which women can manage their hair as is evident from the fact that overwhelming majority of Amritdhari Sikh ladies do not wear a Turban.

Tell me ladies, why you want to wear Turban? Think this is smart or something? Trying to rebel against something maybe or show middle finger at society, tradition, parents etc? C'mon let me know what you will achieve from this.

Tell me ladies, why you want to wear Turban? Think this is smart or something? Trying to rebel against something maybe or show middle finger at society, tradition, parents etc? C'mon let me know what you will achieve from this.

Simple answer because they want to.. Its their way of express love towards guroo maharaj ji. END OF STORY

Quite frankly, not me and nor you can force them not to... After all sikhi is NOT a wahabi relegion where keski or not wearing keski is forced on anothers.

I know many singhanis who wear keski and they dont belong to any jatha which requires them.. they feel proud to wear one and they aint brainwashed or anything either. And all this third gender stuff is all.... people should get over it and concentrate on their own sikhi- Naam, Dhaan, Ishanan

Life is too short....

END OF THIS DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!

TOPIC LOCKED