Hola Mahalla 2004

r3305047012.jpg

Indian Sikhs take part in a traditional rural sports during an annual fair of Hola Mohalla as they celebrate the Holi festival in Anandpur Sahib, in the northern Indian state of Punjab March 7, 2004. Hola Mohalla or the festival of Nihangs or Sikh warriors is celebrated on the occasion of Holi, marks the congregation of Sikh devotees from all over the country for a festival of color and gaiety in Anandpur Sahib. REUTERS/Kamal Kishore REUTERS

capt.xgo10203071517.india_holi_festival_xgo102.jpgA Nihang, or a traditional Sikh religious army member, rides atop two steeds at the local fair of 'Hola Mohalla' in Anandpur Sahib, 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Chandigarh, India, Sunday, March 7, 2004. Believers from various parts of northern India gathered at the religious fair to celebrate the festival of Holi in a tradition set by the tenth Sikh Guru Gobind Singh in the seventeenth century. The Nihangs display their martial skills and attire during the fair, believed to be maintained in the exact tradition set by the guru. (AP Photo/Gurinder Osan)

r1746602819.jpgMajor Sigh, a Nihang or a Sikh warrior, sports a 375-meter long turban at an annual fair during the Holi festival of colors in Anandpur Sahib, in the northern Indian state of Punjab, March 7, 2004. Hola Mohalla or the festival of Nihangs is celebrated during Holi, marking the congregation of Sikh devotees from all over the country for a festival of color and gaiety in Anandpur Sahib. REUTERS/Kamal Kishore

Guest Javanmard

Let SIkh history speak for itself:

As March 1700 approached, the days of Holla drew closer, and the true Guru Ji gave command to Diwan Nand Chand and treasurer Mati Ram to prepare rich red colored powder, ‘Kumka’ [colour balls which when thrown on impact explode and harmlessly spray target with colored powder], ‘Pichkari’ [pumps to spray colour solutions], colour solutions and to call over Sikh congregation. They were just waiting for Guru’s command that day and commands were written to the Sikh congregation, which began to gather the appropriate materials [to play Holla]. Then, Guru Sahib on a high plateau, spread a camp and the musicians first sang:

“Today is our good fortune. Meeting with the master we play. Plays Holi the holy One. Colored are we greatly in red [symbolic colour of deep devotion to God].â€

The Shabad [Hymns] were sung in Basant Raag, then first upon the Guru and the five beloved ones sprayed red saffron powder of ‘Gulal Kesar’, then the Guru sprayed them. Then afterwards Bhai Nand Lal and other Sikhs worshipped the Guru with colour. Then, all began to throw colour on each other with the hail of Pichkaris and Kumkuia many Sikhs were driven back. They attacked in such a manner rushing each other that they became soaked and the earth and atmosphere became red. Guru Sahib playing Hola with the Sants [holy men] and from there they went to the tomb of Guru Tegh Bahadur with great fan fare played Holla….

….Like this for five days remained there great festivities of Hola then on the sixth day they played the martial Holla at Hol Garh [Fort], sacramental food 'Karah Parsad' [a food made of flour, water, sugar and clarified butter] was distributed, musicians, poets were rewarded and the Sikh congregation were given robes of honor and sent away.’

(‘Twarikh Guru Khalsa’, Giani Gian Singh Nirmala, Vol.I, Pa. 891-892)

One of Bhai Nand Lal Goya's poems describes how Guru Gobind Singh rubbed colour on him...

more proof :twisted:

Done a lil research about Giani Gian Singh :twisted:

Giani Gian Singh wrote a lot of Bakwas in his book. His book has been roundly condemned by Bhai Vir Singh and other Sikh scholars. It contains a lot of things which are against Gurbani and a mostly made up by Giani Gian Singh :roll:

Reliable Source I think I usually ask for :roll:

Guest Javanmard

If Giani Gian SIngh is such an evil man why do keep on repeating the verses after the ardas which are only found in his wroks "agya bhai akal kee..." :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh just because Mister Protestant Bhai Vir Singh said it's bad Mr SIngh thinks it's bad as well!!!

oooooooooooh very bad :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Guys, don't you know, only the Lahore Tat Khalsa Singh Sabha are correct...before them, Sikhi was just some hotch-potch mix of Hindoo cults...or like Mr Singh says, "Bakwas!"...oh well, its attitudes like this that have led to a Gurdwara in Halifax stop reciting Chaupai Sahib...soon enough we'll probably condemn the 5 K's as being Hindoo too...

Mr singh,

Please review your attitude towards other sampradha's. I thought being a moderator of this site you do have little bit of tolerance.

We are no way and i mean no way to doubt puratan maryada. Thus, praticed by buddha dal and hazoor sahib.

Yes, there are more one maryada out there. Its fine you dont agree with it. I dont agree with few things either such us (caste discrimination, mahaprashad etc). But I do accept them as my brothers. I dont go around proving them wrong.

just have pyaar, tolerance and acceptance veer... sikhi has many flavours followed by different sampradha's and jathas.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand

Mr singh,

Please review your attitude towards other sampradha's. I thought being a moderator of this site you do have little bit of tolerance.

I do have tolerance, untill someone comes and begins to mislead people :)

We are no way and i mean no way to doubt puratan maryada. Thus, praticed by buddha dal and hazoor sahib.

THats your opinion about it,

I migth agree, I tihnk thats something we all have to respect - Different opinions :)

Yes, there are more one maryada out there. Its fine you dont agree with it. I dont agree with few things either such us (caste discrimination, mahaprashad etc). But I do accept them as my brothers. I dont go around proving them wrong.

This is a discussion board where we learn, then What Wrong did I do by meantioning that the secific scholer, has been condemned by other RELIABLE scholors, Anything wrong with that :) ?

just have pyaar, tolerance and acceptance veer... sikhi has many flavours followed by different sampradha's and jathas.

As this is a discussion board, is usually happens, that while discussing, we critique some jatha or sampardanis

I.e. lallesh doesnt agree with AKJ and SGPC, hence critiques it, is there no space to critque other jathebandis than above meantioned?

If Im not mistaken Mods are suppose to be neutral :)

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand

Bhull chukk maaf

GurFateh

Guest Javanmard

MrSIngh my attitude to SGPC and AKJ has nothing to do with liking or not liking them. The fact is that they have intentionally broken away from certain sacred principles in Sikhi such as respecting gurbani. They recite shortened gurbani which an insult against maharaj! It's not my fault if they do it for they have chosen to insult Maharaj!