Nihangs and their role in society..

Gurfateh, this isnt a stab in the back, for all gursikhs are my brothers.

Just a question of curiousity;

since nihangs are the warriors of the panth, and to an extent, the true khalsa, and since they are all learned in shastar and extremely skillfull on the battlefield (not to mention the use of sukha for healing wounds) have they ever faced conflict??

What i mean to say is, there is so many problems in the uk with regards to sikh boys being bullied by racists; and gurls being led astray/converted FORCEFULLY; where are our nihang brothers when we need them?

Wimps like me cant do anything..so where are u my brothers??

I for one have never hurd of a situation, on the news, on the street, word of mouth,etc where a nihang has displayed bravery or used his skills in the defence of someone/group of people.

We need these warriors to prowl in the uk so that any opressors to human freedom and freedom of worship/belief can be uprooted.

Not a criticism..just my humble input..feel free to criticise this particle of dust (or add constructive imput)

lol....I used to think the same way.

But I think some of your (and mine) concerns are a bit too far-fetched. Just think about the ramifications of what you're asking for - Sikhs roaming the streets hunting for robbers, thieves and whatever scum there is out there. Its a nice picture, but it will never happen (unless you're a movie producer!). The biggest weapon that a person has in the western world is the law - all a Singh needs to do is learn how to use the law to their full advantage.

Agreed, if a person saw trouble on the streets then they should assess the situation to ascertain the best move. I would guess that most of the time this would require that person to interject into the situation.

Hypothetical situation: imagine there were Nihangs roaming the street superhero style. And imagine that a white guy (who happens to have a shaved head) catches a Singh trying to rape his wife. That white guy would justifiably kick the crap out of the Singh. Now imagine if the Nihangs came onto the scene, what would our superheroes see? Yep, a white skinhead kicking the crap out of a Singh. Do you see what I mean, not every situation is as simple as it looks.

(a far-fetched hypothetical situation, I know. But it gets the point across)

Like I said, I did paint the same picture of what a Singh (Nihang or otherwise) 'should' be like, but its just too impractical.

I agree lalleshvari..they are :D (ive never seen it happen)

HOWEVER there are plenty of cases of racism..and beast paji, i know where ur coming from..maybe my first post gave the wrong impression of my point (sounded a little dreamy) BUT are u telling me theres never been a situation where a nihang couldve got involved in? and then consequently done something about it??

Im not talking about the general sikh panth..im talking about ur fauge brothers..those who dedicate their lives to uprooting evil like our master guru gobind singh ji..where are they?? surely their weapon is the shastar, not the books; if it were the latter then why the need to live the maryada of a nihang??

surely their weapon is the shastar, not the books; if it were the latter then why the need to live the maryada of a nihang??

The weapon should only be drawn when all other options have been exhausted. A Sikh, who may or may not follow Nihang maryada, must adhere to this principle. At a guess, a Nihangs first weapon should be Gian --> knowledge. Nidar isn't just hated because he follows Nihang maryada, he's also hated because he is a learned individual who uses his gian to spread the ideals of Sanatan Sikhi. From what I witnessed some days back, people will not challenge him for two reasons:

1. They fear him.

2. They fear his knowledge.

BUT are u telling me theres never been a situation where a nihang couldve got involved in? and then consequently done something about it??

Of course there are. Just because we weren't there to witess any such events doesn't mean that they didn't happen. The only way to fully answer this question would be if the Nihangs had a charter where they could enter each heroic act that they did! Your question is unanswerable - its like me saying just because I have never heard a baby farting that babies never fart.

I for one have never hurd of a situation, on the news, on the street, word of mouth,etc where a nihang has displayed bravery or used his skills in the defence of someone/group of people.

We need these warriors to prowl in the uk so that any opressors to human freedom and freedom of worship/belief can be uprooted.

If you come to the akhara, you will hear of situations of people who have been attacked and have saved themselves from serious injury.

There have in incidents in south birmingham where a group of lads would shout out 'rag head' and other abusive slogans at singhs. I know of two singhs, who were able to save themselves from Sain Dhani techniques. I know of another Singh, who had no choice but to engage the group and he too came out unhurt. He must have left the group of lads a bit puzzled on how one singh got through the enitre lot, but nevertheless, the word grows slowly. The consquence of the singhs action caused the group of lads to think twice before shouting slogans again, but the complete opposite could have happened too. If those group of lads were sooo dumb that they picked on some innocent singh who does NOT know the vidiya, and then this innocent singh would have the living day lights kicked out of him.

Question arises: do you want to be that innocent singh who ends up in hospital, or are you going to do something about it and learn some savya raksha and keep up the name of the Warrior Sikhs??

As for creating groups to go beat people up. This is NOT maryada. If trouble comes seeking us, we avoid it, and if it persists, we continue to aviod it, until you are in a situation that you cannot avoid, you do not use the techniquies.

As for boasting about fights you've been in, or saying 'i kicked the crap out of 10 people' this is all childish. A true warrior does his bit and goes, there is no need for him [or her] to inform the world of his actions. To do so, may land him [or her] in more trouble. But i state again, the maryada is NOT to be Abused, we must learn to avoid situations or take down the enemy with Wisdom not just our fists.

Good posts veero (its shed some light into things!)

I didnt mean to sound immature; i dont want singhs to have a reputation of being showman, neither do i want them to have the reputation of wannabe gangsters,etc.

I was just puzzled to see why there is never any news coverage where a singh has done something; (surely the probability is there/that there should have been one case at least.)

Gurfateh