Bandagi Naama

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Bandgi Nama by Raghbir Singh Bir

INTRODUCTION

The Bandgi Nama or Communion with the Divine Sardar Raghbir Singh Bir contains the spiritual and devotional thoughts of the author which were flashed to him in his midnight silent meditation. S. Raghbir Singh was not only a poet of a high order, but a thinker and a philosopher who had personally experienced various stages of spiritual discipline while leading

a life of a successful house-holder-fulfilling all the obligations towards his parents, family and children imparting them the best education-academic and cultural.

Bandgi Nama originally written in Punjabi (Gurmukhi script) has been acclaimed as a veritable guide to self realization even for a new aspirant. It has been translated into English for the benefit of English-knowing seekers, who have no approach to Punjabi. Along with the translation are published copious references from Guru Granth Sahib in Roman in support of the author's own spiritual experiences to lend authenticity to them.

The author himself started as a layman on the spiritual path, and reached a stage through various sadhnaas of spiritual discipline, from where he could reflect the vision of the Divine, for the rise of man of God-maanas te devte kiie.

Guru Nanak laid down the three principles-

(i) prayer (ardas),

(ii) effort (sharani), and

(iii) sharing spiritual experience with others, aap japo avraa naam japaavo

In conformity with these fundamentals, whereas the author explains the technique of prayer and effort, he shares his achievements in the spiritual field with others and has given vent to the thoughts and ideals which were revealed unto him in his communion with The " Divine."

Dagshai Public School was established in October 1957 under the aegis of the Atam Science Trust and is the realisation of a long-cherished dream of a visionary, social reformer and philanthropist, as also a highly evolved spiritualist. S.Raghbir Singh Bir, founder chairman of the institution, while being well-conversant with the ideology of various faiths, was a keen scholar of Sikh Scripture.

http://www.sikhseek.com/Youth/Schools/

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Thanks for sharing the information with the sangat veerji. I've read the first few pages and already feel so uplifted! Actually it reminds of Bhai Vir Singh jee's beautiful masterpieces...

Parnaam Great Sikh Writers Noo!

I'm applying a new technique to reading inspirational books that is why I have not fully read this book yet.

There are only so many truly spiritually inspirational books out there so I only read a couple chapters at a time when I'm feeling spiritually drained instead of going through a book in a few days. This way I don't run out of material, so far the technique is working.

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Thanks for sharing that technique, i think it's quite useful..If you want some resources about learning styles, let me know I think I have a few things saved from my psychology days..

My problem is I tend to get 2/3 books from the library and want to finish one and start the other lol. I think it's just the simple task of putting interesting books down and waiting until I finish the first one at hand..You have to learn to be interactive with your book, and with your technique I think it works even better..Any kind (fiction or non-fiction) you should definitly mark up, circle words you dont' know and look them up, research the history behind the story (if it's fiction). If you're reading a historical or information type book, perhaps do your own research online to supplement it. If it's a book of prose, poetry, or these spiritually uplifiting books you can share with others, have discussions, relate it to your own spiritual life..Learn how to relate and implement everything in your life, that is what I've gained from these books..

Your idea of spreading the chapters out is very wise veerji, perhaps a chapter or two a week. At present I'm working through 'The Essential Rumi' by Coleman Barks, every source I've looked into suggests this piece as the the best translation and collection of his pieces. Barks splits it up very well, and for people like me who have elementary knowledge of Sufism or even the Persian language it is very simple to comprehend. His ananlysis at the beginning of the chapters is quite helpful too. The techniques I've gained with books of verse or poetry is of course

1)Gain more knowledge and insight into word etymology, a good dictionary is necessary.

2)Research the history of the time, of the genre, and the poet/author. In this case research the Sufi Path and Jelaluddin Rumi.

3)Relate it to your own spiritual path, I often think of shabads that share the same message..

Veerji, have you read any of Bhai Vir Singh jee's poetry or prose? I highly reccomend it!!

I just love learning..and reading..and writing..linguistics..nature..life is truly so inspiring..

"The world is but a school of inquiry." Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

-peace-

I dloaded a sweet hypnotic Sufi meditation song from Kazaa, very deep.

Thanks for sharing those techniques, I will certainly apply them on a few books I am reading. I would circle and highlight all my books but I always try to keep all my books in mint condition. I guess this obsession stems back from the days I used to collect comic books and their worth in the marketplace was evaluated based on what condition they are in.

Since these are PDF books I can print, circle, hilight do whatever and then print a fresh one again. The beauty of Ebooks!

*Will look for Bhai Vir Singh jee's book(s)

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Could you share the Sufi song with me??

Oh.if you want deep..go to Sikhnet and listen to Panthi Ratan Singh jee sing..it is a soul-stirring experience..Pheena veerji sent me a winzip of all his mp3's from Sikhnet, I'll be glad to pass them on veer...Listen to Bahut Sukh Sahine Painde Ne today for sure!

I'm glad you find the techniques useful..also from Abacci Books download Montaigne's Essays, you'll love how the universal elements of Sikhi speak so loudly in his pieces..

Bhai Vir Singh jee: (I visited the Bhai Vir Singh Sahitya Sadan in Bhai Vir Singh Marg New Delhi and picked most of the following from there)

His Sukhmani Sahib Sateek

Bhai Gurdaas Jee Salok Sateek

I also have a sateek for Jaap & Japji Sahib, I have them but haven't had the chance to study them yet..

Bhai Vir Singh "Poet of the Sikhs" (in English) I've read this a dozen times, I highly recommend it!

Sundri (of course!)

Satwant Kaur

and the Epic Rana Surat Singh (simply amazing!)

"Image of grace, gallant, of daring mien;

The halo of his forehead glowed with light.

A saintly-hearted swordsman filled with love,

He shared a soldier's virtues with the Lord's;

Rapt in His Name, alive at every pore

With the creator's presence whom he knew

In all that is, the Lord and he were one--

No act or word but breathed by love of One God." -from Rana Surat Singh

some other amazing books include Gurmukh Sikhiya...which is basically a collection of letters that Bhai vir singh ji wrote and also exerpts from talks he used to give to sangat.....truly inspiring book

also..Spirit of the Sikh collection by Prof. Puran Singh ji is a must read...and also his Spirit Born People is simply amazing.....

also Gur kalgidhar Chamatkar by Bhai Vir Singh ji is also really cool....all his books are awesome........