3 INSTRUCTIONS FOR BHAI MARDANA JEE

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Warmest Vaaheguroo Fateh,

I was listening to a katha a few weeks back and stumbled across something interesting..the kathakar/Gyani said before Guroo Nanak Dev jee and Bhai Mardana descended for their journey there were 3 hukams set out. Bhai Mardana should only continue if he would be able to follow these 3 hukams..

1) Do not cut your kes

2) Rise in the early mornings every day (???)

3) Serve the Sadh Sangat which arrives and leaves the community

Is this mentioned anywhere? The Janamsakhis perhaps?? If anyone has further information, it would be most appreciated

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Someone shared this information with me..any further thoughts sangat jee?

There's isn't anything like that in the Janamsakhis, the nearest we have to what you wrote is that once Bhai Mardana's son asked his father that since he had lived his entire life in the company of Guru Nanak that could he grace him with some of the Guru's teachings. Bhai Mardana told his son that there are three teachings that he should always follow.

1. Keep Kesh uncut

2. In final pehar of the night, do Satnam Jaap

3. Serve the Sadh Sangat which arrives and leaves the community

This is from the Gyan Ratnavali which is thought to have been written by Bhai Mani Singh

• 3 years later...

With due consideration of the above, what are the forum's view on Bhai Mardana.

Without referencing names of individuals or groups, clearly there are those who choose to show Bhai Mardana as a Muslim company of Guru Sahib, who remained Muslim until his death. This is usually accompanied by an underlying notion of either (a) Guru Nanak didn't start a new religion, but rather he was continuing a tradition of the Bhakti movement and/or other 'Hindu' movements or (B) Guru Nanak himself was a Muslim of a particular leaning.

The opposing school of thought view the above as sufficient indication that Bhai Mardana, in adopting these three directives had formally become a 'Sikh' of Guru Nanak and as such view him entirely as a Sikh. This is usually accompanied by the underlying notion of (i) this explains why there are certain Muslims who have always held faith in Guru Nanak or (ii) this explains that Guru Sahib had already started the path of a new religion, in latter time people have claimed to descendents of Bhai Mardana yet are not Sikhs of the Guru such as Ragi Ashiq Hussein, who for a long time had posed as a descendent of Bhai Mardana.

I don't know. but I do remember hearing in katha, and having it verified from more than one source, that all of the Guru's gave Amrit to their followers. So, after being blessed with Amrit from the Guru, Wouldn't Bhai Mardana ji than be a follower(sikh) of the Guru first, and anything else second'?