Stereoviews of Amritsar

Freed

Stereoviews were popular from the mid 1800s to the mid 1900s - they were the 'Discovery' channel of their day - giving people a chance - with the use of a special viewer - to see 3D images of far distant lands.

I found these images on the net a couple of years ago - I have since forgotten the site (Sorry!) - I have seen similar stereoviews on eBay - made by Underwood & Underwood dated around 1905. These images do not have the card borders or description - I have some of those type - though they have copyrights and watermarks on them (*Note to Admin can I post them here - or will you get in trouble ??) -

These images are rare and absolutely fascinating -

stereo46ha.jpg

View of Harmandir Sahib - Note the 2 Akalis in the foreground, the lack of barriers, and the dome on the Ramgarhia Minar , which date the picture as being before the earthquake of 1905.

stereo52fe.jpg

View from Harmandir of causeway and Darshani Deori

stereoview2sw.jpg

stereoview27kt.jpg

The courtyard between the Akal Takht and Harmandir Sahib - note another older Akali - and the Miri Piri Nishan Sahibs.

stereoview31cd.jpg

I have seen this on ebay - described as Amritsar schoolboys in 1908 - Look at all those turbans ! - you can see the Akal Takht in the distance.

stereo72hi.jpg

These appear to be 'sadhus' - though I'm guessing that from the central figure's 'fakir's crutch' .

stereo66gh.jpg

The lack of a dome on the Ramgarhia minar dates this as after 1905 - note the boy's smart jacket and turban

stereoasrstreet8cq.jpg

An Amritsari Street scene . - The boy on the left appears to be wearing a 'Fez' type hat

I told you they were Fascinating !!

Challenge_Everything as you've mentioned the 'men in orange cloaks' that reminds me of another Photograph - This one was taken by William Henry Baker in the 1870s - If you look at the third lampost on both sides there appear to be a cluster of men wearing what appears to be a uniform holding some sort of staff / weapon , there is also one by the entrance to the Harmandir - Could these be the 1870s equivilent of the 'men in orange cloaks' ?

Perhaps Amandeep Bhai Sahib could comment - I'm sure I've read somewhere him commenting on this photograph .

CE you're so right the walkway looks so much better without the central and side barriers - also the newer wider 'pradakshina' parikarma - that juts out diagonally is not very aesthetically pleasing - in this photo you can see that originally the 'pradakshina' parikarma echoed the shape of the Harimandir ie. it was rectangular - not the triangle on a rectangle shape it is today . - before I sound too Victor Meldrew-esque I guess the huge number of Sangat warrants the barriers and wider access !

** another note have you noticed that in the stereoviews, above, the marble parikarma looks quite muddy and dusty in parts - compared with today where it is always spotlessly clean and sparkling - or am I just seeing things ?

bakerwilliamhenry1870s0pt.jpg

As it is today - note the modified wider 'triangle' pradakshina

framed8na.jpg