Donate Blood

gursj

"Our recent research findings on blood donation highlight that

there’s still a shortage of ethnic donors in Britain. Only three

per cent of the 1.6 million people who gave blood last year came

from Asian, African and African Caribbean communities. Yet about

seven per cent of the UK population are from ethnic minorities."

source : http://www.blood.co.uk/pdfdocs/donor_winter2005.pdf

Most people are afraid , not of giving blood but of needles. Also some are afraid of catching infection. But it is safe, quick and easy. And those who are afraid of needles, dont look at it and you would be fine.( it doesnt hurt at all and nowdays they offer to give you some localised sedative as well , there is no need for it but the option is available).

We need to give blood and register ourselves on bone marrow registry , because when attempting to match a rare blood group it is often useful to look within the same, or a similar ethnic group.

To find out more about donating blood visit:

http://www.blood.co.uk/index.html

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fateh

I used to fear catching some infection thats why never donated blood, it was only when i saw a blood camp at bangla sahib gurdwara i was able to overcome my fear , that was a long time back.

its the first time thats most difficult . My mother actually was very angry with me, and i was forced to take bed rest. So when I saw that figure that are only 3% ethnic donars give blood I wasnt surprised because the general mindset in our families is its not good to give blood. I that percentage could even be lower than 3% in sikhs because i sometimes find black or chinese at these camps but not many sikhs.

Between two donations there has to be a 16 week gap , and if you travel india(certain other parts of the world) than you can not give blood for 6 months after coming back.

And good news they still give cookies, crips and tea..