Japu - a noun or a verb

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Dear all!

I heard often preachers talking about Japu Ji Sahib. They try to convince us that Japu is the title of the beginning part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. In their view, Japu is a noun.

I got curious to know. What is the verb if Japu is the noun?

Please express your views. I will be grateful.

Balbir Singh

Dear Kam1825 Ji!

Thanks for your reply.

Please do get some time and write more on this topic. You wrote "as far as i am aware Jap is both a noun and a part of the mool mantra where all are asked to meditate on the name of God. Will write more when i get time"

Through which word of Mool Mantra Gurdev has asked all to meditate on God? Please elaborate this.

Balbir Singh

Dear Kam1825 Ji!

Quote "Through the word Jap."

Quote "The word Jap is to all that read it and say it to remind them that they should meditate on the name of the lord as this is the only ship that will carry you accross the worldly ocean"

Have I understood it correctly? The word 'Japu' reminds all to meditate on the name of Lord that is a verb.

Balbir Singh

Dear all!

It seems that I was not able to express my question clearly. Please allow me to put it in a fresh effort again.

The name of a person, place or thing is a noun. Suppose Arvind is a name. Reading the word Arvind alone immediately raises a question. What, where, when, why or who is Arvind?

Some preachers explain that 'Japu' is the title of the first part of Gurbaanee. They ask us to recite repeatedly the rest part following the word 'Japu'.

My question is what is the verb here when 'Japu' is the subject noun and rest of the Baanee is the object noun.

In my view, a statement from the Guru in ecstasy cannot be incomplete and without a verb. Specially, when Gurdev found God active where all subjects and objects got dissolved into ONE.

Balbir Singh