'cellar door'

Freed

'cellar door'

In his 1955 essay 'English and Welsh' J. R. R. Tolkien claims the English compound 'cellar door' is 'intrinsically beautiful' as it has 'an especially beautiful sound'.

"Most English-speaking people...will admit that cellar door is 'beautiful', especially if dissociated from its sense (and from its spelling). More beautiful than, say, sky, and far more beautiful than beautiful"

Taking this as a starting point do you find any 'simple' , 'everyday' words beautiful ? I have a great love of words - all words be they English Punjabi or whatever - especially words most people would think 'mundane' or describe mundane everyday things.

Unlike Tolkien I can't pick just one, or just one language , so here is a short list of words I think are 'beautiful'.

Please feel free to add you own - or your comments - I guess most of you will think I'm a nutter , but I do have other interests other than posting pictures on SA !!

Persian - 'Itfaaq'

dsc01669sp0.jpg

Punjabi - 'Sampooran'

dsc01671mc4.jpg

Sanskrit - 'Snanam'

dsc01670fs9.jpg

Everyday 'beautiful' Punjabi words

'Gusal khana'

dsc01672lo2.jpg

and perhaps my favourite - 'Roshan daan'

dsc01673dj9.jpg

Freed

Dilpazir and mast-e-gashtam i like. I have to say for me persian words are the most beautiful sounding.

This topic gives me the opportunity to discuss a word that is used frequently in our community and at many times its usage does not fit the meaning of the word. I find it interesting that this expletive is interspersed in many punjabi peoples dialogues e.g. Mai oh Panj**h shoppa val gya si othaa Panj**h aloo na'ee milley menoo mai kyaa shop valey noo teri pan di l*nn aloo ni hai etc. etc. I apologise for lowering the tone of this forum, but I am fascinated at why this word is so widely used. Like 'cellar door' the word in question carries a impetus that is not to do with meaning, unlike cellar door this impetus is not beautiful. People like to say it. It is very satisfying if the delivery and timing of the word is correct, try it at a silent point in conversation just say it with the right inflection of voice and the effect is good, and you feel better. I must add that this word is multi dimensional it can be used to convey a multitude of emotions. Such as anger, resignation, lust, envy, although mainly negative who can deny the power and shaktee of this word. I have also noticed the growing use of 'teri pan di l*nn' which is nonsensical.