.::Mukatnama Katha by Baba Hari Singh Ji ::.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Baba Hari Singh Ji have been doing the katha of Itihaas for about 3 weeks now at the Malton Gurudwara now. Today, he started the katha of Sri Mukatnama Sahib by Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I thought I would try to post here as much as I can about the Mukatnama , since it is fresh in my mind, and also I could refer to it for future references.

Mukatnama

The uthanka of this Mukatnama starts with the story of Bhai Maala Singh and Bhai Lahora Singh. The story goes that Bhai Lahora Singh borrowed money from Bhai Maala Singh and later refused to return the money back to Bhai Maala Singh. When both of them were arguing about it during the night Guru ji interfered and gave sumat to Bhai Lahora Singh ji. Bhai Lahora Singh apologised and returned the money.

Next day Guru Gobind Singh ji held a darbar and now will be giving sumat to everyone through the Mukatnama. Whoever will follow the teachings in the Mukatnama will reside in Sachkhand/ Gurpuri and Guru Ji will always be on his side. So here it goes.

1) A sikh should never borrow or take a loan from someone. He should try his best to avoid taking loan. But if under extreme circumstances he has to take a loan then he should return it happily to the person from whom he took it.

2) A sikh should always speak the truth. He should never lie. But there are special circumstances under which distinction should be made between the truth and lie. Here , Guru Ji gave a drishtant which is as following :

" A brahman was doing tapasaya. A kasai comes and asks for direction to which the cow that he was about to kill went. Brahman didn't speak but raised his hand in the direction the cow went. Now Brahman was responsible for this crime. He should have just kept silent under such circumstances". Hence if you speak a lie but it is not for your selfish interests but for the benefit of someone else , or if it doesnt harm any innocent person then it is allowed.

Similarly, although Chandu spoke truth that Mata Gujri Ji and Sahibzaade were residing at his home but he had to suffer because of all the pain and suffering that he caused to Mata ji and the Saahibzaade. On the other hand, when Two Muslim brothers were carrying Guru Gobind Singh ji on a manji , upon asking by the government officials they said he is Uch Da Peer. Even though they spoke a lie it was for a greater cause.

Baba Hari Singh warned that we have to be careful when or when not to speak a lie or truth.

He also narrated an anecdote of a Sant that he knew who always spoke truth, so much that he was given death sentence because he killed a manmati sadh in self defence who was opposing nagar keertan on the avtar divas of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. But in the end that Sant was saved by Guru ji himself and he didn't get the death sentence such is the power of speaking Truth.

3) A Sikh should not leave his hair open for a very long time. He should always always cover his head especially on three occasions :

a) Maithun ( having sex with your wife)

B) When eating food

c) When sleeping

4) A Sikh should never ever look at the naked body of a woman. If by accident a naked body comes in front of you close your eyes immediately. Same goes for the women.

5) A sikh should never think or fantasize about indulging in Lust or sexual activity.

6) A Sikh should not become attached to money or wealth.

7) A Sikh should not take jooth. He should keep suchamta and bibek.

8. He should stay away from Jagat Jooth Tambaku.

9) He should not eat meat, strictly prohibited. Acc. to Baba Hari Singh ji , In Guru Granth Sahib Kutha refers to meat , there is no word as Chatka in Guru Granth Sahib.

10) Sikh should take khande baate da amrit and follow the rehit given in Guru Granth Sahib.

11) Always before eating , Sikh should do paath of Gurbani , moolmantar, gurmantar or say tvaprasad bharam bhau ka naas, and when he is finished he should do ardaas.

12) Sikh should always maintain proper hygeine. Keep his hands and body always clean and using soap everytime going to the washrrom.

13) After going to toilet , or washroom Sikh should do panj ishnaana ( wash your face, arms and legs until knees), and should take a bath before sitting on the tabya.

14) Khalsa should respect all varans but remain Nyaara.

15) Sikh should always get his daughter married in a Gursikh Family.

to be continued...

For the rest of the Mukatnama , Baba ji will be doing the Katha tomorrow. If people can come then they should and benefit from this Katha.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I just recalled more that I forgot to write previously

16) Doing Ishnaan every morning is very important for a Sikh. Eating food without taking a bath is like eating poison.

Baba ji mentioned that according to dharam shastars drinking milk before doing ishnaan is like drinking blood.

Guru ji says that Ishnaan should be done with cold water. But Baba ji made a point here that this cold water refers to the fresh water that comes out of the ground like in India. This water is naturally lukewarm and is very good for body. If the body cannot tolerate the cold water it can be warmed up.

Three people exempted from the rule of not eating without ishnaan: people who are sick, those who are aged and small children.

Baba Hari Singh ji mentioned since in Canada the cold water is really very cold , it is better to take bath with lukewarm water rather than getting pneumonia from chilled water.

He also mentioned a story about a gursikh who was a sangee of Rare wale mahapurakh in England. He had been taking bath with extremely cold water for 20 years and he had been used to it. Baba ji jokingly said bhai we cannot bath with this cold water.

17) Waking up at Amritvela is very important for a Sikh. He should wake up as told in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

18. Even if a Gursikh is of very Chardikala and avastha he should never leave sadhsangat. Sadhsangat helps in removing the filth of sukhsham haumai or ego that we can't detect.

19) A sikh should always share when eating. Sikhs should offer food to each other.

These teachings are not necessarily in order. I wrote them as I recalled them.

more to come...

is this Baba Hari Singh Randhava wale?

he givesa different account of the meat-eating in muktnama to the katha of Giani Thakur Singh.

Yes , this is Baba Hari Singh Randhava wale. He says that meat is forbidden. And as far as I remember Giani Thakur Singh ji says the same thing.