Kefir Grains

dalsingh101

Anyone here ever use them?

They are apparently some live organism that is used to break down the lactose in milk (through culture).

http://rawandpure.co.uk/kefir-kitchen/

Edited by dalsingh101

Haha funny you should mention that.

I bought a pack a grains just last week to try out.

You add them to milk (ideally raw, organic milk if you really want to reap the benefits). It's made similar to homemade yogurt but apparently comes out like lassi.

The health benefits come from the live pro biotics that is in The grains. There are a lot more than your typical commercial probiotic drinks both interms of count and the variety of bacteria.

A mistake many people make is only haveing these types of drinks occasionally, and then only in small amounts.

For it to have any benefits you must take it daily and in good quantity. At least a pint a day. The reason is that for the bacteria to be of any use it must enter the intestines whilst still alive. Now going through the stomach acids first most bacteria is killed off. Hence the reason you over load the system so that some bacteria will get through.

Alternatively just eat a kg of dahi daily that contains " live cultures". That is also very good for you. But I believe the variety of bacteria/probiotics is limited.

If you want raw milk then get in touch with the Art Of Elusive Fighting page on Facebook. He has suppliers in London and around the uk.

If you want raw milk then get in touch with the Art Of Elusive Fighting page on Facebook. He has suppliers in London and around the uk.

You read my mind! lol

So, I thought it might taste like paneer? yummy

How much did your grains cost?

Edited by dalsingh101

I.ve shipped out of Joo Kay.. Live down under for now.

Cost about $10 for a pack of 5 sachets. Each can be used four to five times. Therein lies it's problem. If you get it from someone who is already using it then you can carry on using it indefinitely. As the probiotics will continue to grow.

You may also want to start eating more fermented food generally and eat sourdough bread instead of the usual stodgy wheat flour stuff. Sourdough bread has a slight tangy aftertaste. The flour also uses the concept of adding "jaag" of its flour to each new batch of bread. Similar to yogurt and kefir.