Suggestions for Meditation Techniques

I have been a spiritual seeker for quite some time and appreciate the spiritual tradition of the Sikh religion.  I would like to hear from others what meditation techniques you have found helpful for spiritual progress.   I have learned about the Waheguru meditation.  Is it ok to repeat the word silently?  Other techniques would be appreciated as well. Thank-you.

1 hour ago, WillEast said:

I have been a spiritual seeker for quite some time and appreciate the spiritual tradition of the Sikh religion.  I would like to hear from others what meditation techniques you have found helpful for spiritual progress.   I have learned about the Waheguru meditation.  Is it ok to repeat the word silently?  Other techniques would be appreciated as well. Thank-you.

Repeating silently is the goal after repeating with tongue...........It's all about stilling the mind and trying to control it's wandering.

You have to play around and do verbal (saas graas),.. whispering(saas saas)...with breath and then try doing without following breath... "techniques" is all they are and all groups of mystics from various faiths have a similar approach.

"Listening"  to self is an important element that helps a Sikh to start going within.. This is "listening" to the sound of jap/chant, and then listening to it silently whilst following breath. 

You have to really tell us what kind of technique you are trying and what difficulties you may have. Meditation and inner spiritual awareness is a huge learning process. This is "sikhi",(Sikh means 'to learn')

It is an ongoing process of physical, spiritual and psyche transformations to help guide us to the special commodity which can fill the unknown empty holes within us all...  It's as if we(our consciousness) is incomplete in some way and is searching for it's completeness. ...the completeness is the yog(union of joining-as in 'yoga') with and into the supreme consciousness.

From some comments you posted on the other thread; You come across as the suitable candidate for advancing in avastha(spiritual state), since your intentions seem genuinely indubitable and truthful.

Welcome aboard to the forum. Hope you enjoy being part in a group of seekers here whose aim is to motivate and encourage others whilst getting inspired themselves.

Thank you.  I appreciate the community here and the Sikh religion because there is much depth to the teachings.   Your post helps to explain some of my past experiences.   I have noticed that in meditation I need to first calm the mind through out loud chanting and then can move on to whispering and eventually mental repetition followed by complete silent contemplation.   I do have some followup questions:

What is the difference between saas graas and saas saas?.  If possible you can provide a link to eliminate explaining something that is in another thread or site.  I tried searching the net but couldn't find many explanations. 

Thank  you.

• 3 years later...