Guru Nanak Dev ji

Infernal Monk

My question seems to be pretty general, and please excuse any ignorance on my part. But anways, Guru Nanak Dev ji always preached about the "oneness" of humans. As far as I know he was against distinguishing between people on the basis of "religion." Well, anways, my question is that has Sikhi strayed from this path by trying so hard to assert a distinctive identity?

The distinctive indentity is not the problem i think...

Its the fact that we are not open to thoughts and beliefs of other individuals, and get lost in trying to get everyone to adhere to one set standard.

Like toy dolls going into a machine and coming out all the same... same dress, thoughts etc. I don't like this idea. What is suitable or dear to one may not so be for another... I don't think Amritdharis should look down on monay or the other way round for that matter.

We need to see the virtues of an individual, respect them for thier deeds and actions, thats what effects humanity and ultimately that is what will decide their fate. Reap what you sow, here and in the next world.

Many sikhs are just anti muslim full stop, due to moghuls, afghans etc... and after 1947 and 1984 we've become anti hindu too, we need to get out of this mentality.

• 2 weeks later...

oh my lovely monai friends don't worry i love u. u have me.

lol

"Many sikhs are just anti muslim full stop, due to moghuls, afghans etc... and after 1947 and 1984 we've become anti hindu too, we need to get out of this mentality"

true, that is a fantastic line.

What about when Guru Nanak Dev ji, said there is no Hindu, and no Muslim...that all humans are the same......so what's with us obsessed with a distinct identity...to the extent of limiting the definintion of a Sikh, and establishing an orthodoxy..

hahah bro you read my mind with this question....eskellent question.

Guru Ji themselves defined what makes a Sikh, as did Bhai Gurdas Ji. It is too easy to forget that in its purest and simplest sense, Sikhi is a path to Waheguru. In my opinion, there is no difference between Maharaj Ji and Waheguru - so the path they revealed is sure to get you there, and it just happens to be that following this path (enrolling in Guru Ji's school - and hence wearing the uniform) means you end up looking/ thinking/ behaving differently to the rest of the world. In Kal Jug, that's hardly surprising.....

The modern defns of a Sikh are a bit different to what GUrbani and old Rehitnamey etc say - eg, Gurbani tells us: " Jo Deesay Gursikhra, tis niv niv laago bhai..." Many (from experience) modern katar "Gursikhs" will not reply to your Fateh, or not even make eye contact when they see another Singh walk by - especially if they reckon you're from another Jatha! The internal aspect has been lost to an extent from mainstream Sikhi. The external identity is meant to be a manifestation of internal qualities - if you listen to,read and most importantly, follow gurbani, you can't help but see humanity as one.

Anyway, having a distinctive identity doesn't mean that you don't see humanity as 1. No two people look the same in any case, and what about different colour skin? All different, but ultimately 1.

Guru Nanak did say to treat all ye mankind as one...but unfortunately he never guaranteed that all others would treat us with the same "oneness".

Personally, I think the Sikhs that reach out to others in the name of love, friendship, and sangat do work that is much closer to what Guruji intended...rather than those that see, and act upon, dividing lines.

hahah bro you read my mind with this question....eskellent question.

Pheenu, stop copying my words. tsk!

monkey, i think when attempting to "define" sikhi, most of us are attempting to discover what it means to be a sikh. but what happens eventually is we fall into the trap of setting up boundaries both for ourself and our interpretations of what sikhi is.

i'm still not sure if it's right or wrong to establish an "orthodoxy" if it can maintain respect and tolerance for others, which orthodoxies in general tend to be unable to do.

i think rakash answered the question really well (hence my "damn you Rakash" post).

*tun* *tun* *tun*...

sorry wanted to say. but i do think Sukhi has a point. We're here not to explain Sikhi (even though explaining events in Sikhi help us understand it better and give us answers to our questions) but we're here to understand it, and love it for what it is.

rabbaaa!

eesh!

here's an analogy:

you have a computer. you have a manual.

if you read the manual, you'll know about how to program the computer. (understanding)

if you read the manual and actually program the computer, you'll have comprehension of programming the computer. (realization)

same thing with sikhi.

you can read books and gather knowledge on sikhi, but it's not the same thing as walking the path and getting to a state of enlightenment.

cappeesh?