Acclaimed Martial Arts Expert, Chris Crudelli On Shastar Vidiya, On 5 Live

spiderman

“This then begs the question as to why does he make these changes? He changes the name of the art from Jhatka Gatka to Shastarvidya to Sanatan Hindu Sikh Shastarvidya. The Akharas have now become Shiv Akharas. It does look like he is introducing a Hindu element into this so-called Sikh martial art.”

Tony, Shastar Vidya is the standard term used in nearly all Ithihaas and rehits so yuo can put this to rest. Jhatka Gatka is a term used by Nihangs in India who still have some sort of knowledge of Yudh.

The Hindu-Sikh SV I feel is a term that is new with no historic reference – as far as I know, they don’t claim it has historic reference – its simply a term they choose to use to expand peoples horizons in terms of understanding that his Vidya is Indian and was used and passed down in Surya Vanshi clan right from Sri Krishnas time. An example of this is that Sri Krishna used a kara (Loh Mushti) to defeat a demon.

Shiv Akara terms are not commonly known or used, but are most definitely puritan – same as Shaastri sangeet has different mythological based mats, so do Indian fighting arts – a simple search on the older fighting mats in South India for example can verify this. Yes it may not be a Sikh term or terminology, but the SV website provides explanations for the use of these names from what I remember, instead of inventing ideas, why not just go to the source, if its not on the site then ask Nidar Singh.

“As for the mythology that has been created around this art, one of the most patently false is the one about Guru Nanak having taught SV to Baba Budha. There is not a shred of evidence of this and there is no allusion to this in any of the Janamsakhis. Unless of course you think that Guru Nanak also wanted to keep this art a secret.”

This is well known Nihang tradition as far as I know – so your problem here is not with Nidar Singh but Budda Dal, as I said, learn to separate issues.

“But then why is Niddar splashing this 'secret' art in the newspapers and on the internet. You can't have a secret art which it seems every tom dick and chris crudelli knows about! "

In case you missed the trick, the art is nearly extinct, how on Earth do you think its going to be preserved! Nidar has said that he got agya from Baba Santa Singh and his Gurdev before he passed away to teach the art openy in order to preserve it. There is only so much people who are not interested in Sikhi can learn, to learn the high level stuff, the students undertake study of Sri Dasam and Sri Sarbloh Granth Sahib from what I know. Its not just a martial art, its a psychology.

Tony, these are all well known things, like I said, if you really want to criticize, at least get a basic understanding of the facts (read the website in detail at least).

Then if you are serious about Nidars motives, why don’t you interview him in a civilised manner and share the results with us all! At least your words will be more credible then, same goes for anyone else who is an expert on the subject through hearsay or guesswork.

I find it funny how Sikhs feel that everything they do has to be exclusive to the Sikh Panth. Unless the Sikh Gurus were the first people in the universe to pick up a sword, Shastarvidiya would have its roots in early swordsmanship practised by the Hindus. In the same way, Raagvidiya was around prior to the Sikh Gurus, and like Shastarvidiya, due to their great expertise of it, they developed it further.

Whatever the vidiya is called it is still the same combat style, the name expresses its roots, tradition and heritage. The first book on Shastarvidiya will be released in the near future, and will explain the link between the Akali Baba Dabara Singh Akhara to the Runjeet Akhara of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji and down to the Shiv Akhara.

I believe there is a book by Baba Gyana Singh on basic vaars and blocks, however trying to put the classical penthras and yudhans onto paper would be near impossible, as the highest level of the vidiya is not a simple attack/block scenario, it is a multitude of tactics/strategies/counters/anticipation amongst a world of variables which would be impossible to pass onto students through books. Shastarvidiya is a Kartik Vidiya, meaning you have to practise and gain the experience through the guidance of a gurdev, learning from books is limited and does not even scratch the surface of true combat and swordsmanship.

Like Shaheediyan said, we can argue all day long, but that isnt going to change the minds of some people. Those who truely wish to learn would have been at the akhara learning, those who dont, would be sitting on forums chatting conjecture.;)

C'mon Maha Singh, is Niddar Singh the ONLY PERSON in the whole wide world to have this secret knowledge as he claims? No one else has this secret knowledge? No Sikh, not even other Nihangs? Niddar Singh is the only one?

Why the animosity for Niddar Singh? He seems far beeter read and intellectual than most of the dead beats I see around Smethwick and Soho Road.

Singh Sabha literature from the amritsar darbar and their advocates have used this. I have seen it, I believe it is going to be addressed in a book coming soon, but we must remember snatan as a term was used by those who deemed their world view to be 'original, organic and not influenced by outside sources' (meaning in relative context, the ferenghi's).