Darcus Howe Documentary White Tribe

dalsingh101

Filmed in 1999. I thought episode 2 was eye opening. It briefly covers white attitudes towards Pakistanis in Oldham which is interesting. It also touches on the wider issue of identity in the modern world. I know the sangat outside of the UK can't view this.......sorry.

The beginning of episode 1 has an account from a white man who has grown up in Southall and contains some footage of Vasakhi celebrations there.

You only have a few weeks to watch it, so be warned! lol

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/white-tribe/4od#3011366

Edited by dalsingh101

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see the Oldham bit. I was googling and found this quotation from the programme:

"There are also lots of young Pakistanis, and most of them are making money, wheeling and dealing, wearing the suits - and the hatred from the whites, the real, bitter, twisted hatred. I'd never come across that before. It was a violent hatred. They wanted the Pakistanis physically eliminated."

http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Biography/bio_DarcusHowe_BlackActivist-Journalist.htm

Edited by Dharma

I didn't see the Oldham bit. I was googling and found this quotation from the programme:

"There are also lots of young Pakistanis, and most of them are making money, wheeling and dealing, wearing the suits - and the hatred from the whites, the real, bitter, twisted hatred. I'd never come across that before. It was a violent hatred. They wanted the Pakistanis physically eliminated."

http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Biography/bio_DarcusHowe_BlackActivist-Journalist.htm

It's in episode 2. If you're in the UK you still have 10 days left to watch it.

Edited by dalsingh101

Am I the only one noticing the wide discrepancy between the studies by Anglos of other races/cultures and the attempts to understand the Anglos from the other side? My first venture into Sikh studies (asides from the traditional sakhian told to me growing up) was through stumbling across Cunningham's book in the library as a youth. Since then I have come to understand that they had essentially been watching us like hawks until they had assessed us to be ripe for attack (see Siques, Tigers Or Thieves). They then hammered us to an extent that they feel we could no longer pose any threat to them both culturally and militarily. There then followed the colonial period in which they subverted Khalsa values to 'symbolise' Sikh cultural practices to a less threatening form to themselves (i.e. being truly shasterdhari changed to wearing symbolic kirpans), the Amrit given to soldiers added a oath of loyalty to the British monarchy. World war 2, drained the Anglos in terms of men and they were pretty much compelled to give up their empire. We all know what happened to Sikhs on their departure. Since then they had managed to keep quite a powerful global position in relation to their size, even though this was through enforcing international trade rules that worked strongly in their favour and not that of the countries that they sourced produce from.

I really admire the way Darcus has basically done to them what they have to others for centuries. Just watched them and make observations without any sycophancy. Seeing as some races have (or at least had) a disproportionate sway on global events, why aren't we trying to grasp the outlines and intricacies of their society like others do ours? I am proud to be Sikh and, if I'm honest, I'm proud to be Panjabi also (although I would like to see many changes in our society). But when I look at the situation I outlined, it makes me realise that we are, in comparison to others, quite an unsophisticated quom. That isn't to say Sikh individuals haven't achieved great things in academia and understanding etc. But on the whole we operate quite blindly in the world and when we consider that, it comes as no surprise that we are frequently outmaneuvered by other more meticulous peoples, be they Hindu or English. If we don't alter this, will we not be in danger of continually bumbling into contrived situations made for our detriment?

I think as Sikhs we need to talk more about the other races, nations, countries that could be moving against us. When I say this, I know that not all races are a monolithic group coordinating together, but I do recognise that dominant/influential forces within certain groups will have a large sway on how many in the group will interact with others. When we do this we do not have to lose our humanity in the process. I guess this boils down to that old issue about competent leadership. Personally I feel the caste based, hypocritical Akali Dal is well past its sell by date. We NEED change. I'm wondering how many in the quom actually WANT change?

Edited by dalsingh101

Uh oh, careful there Dalsingh. We dont want to rile the coconut jatha so much they end up whining and whinging like their pasty idols.

Bring the ass licking coconuts on!! Bruuuaaahhh!

Sorry dalsingh. That article does not contain excerpts from the documentary, just Howe's comments in an interview.

Anyway, I watched part 2. Yes the whites shown in Oldham were extremely racist and wicked. One has to see the documentary to see how bad the situation is.

Here is a post about the topic I found on the Internet some time ago:

Unfortunately Oldham has a history of heavy racism in the local police and media, before Asians started fighting back (which they shouldn't do and certainly shouldn't need to do) the police would take much longer to respond to calls from asian victims, and rarely treat any attacks as racially motivated.

In 1999, the police nationally had to record racial attacks, but by then, many asians had gotten fed up with police who refused to protect them, and wrongly took matters into their own hands. Consiquently, the police started recording asian attacks on whites as racial, but white attacks on asians as just muggings etc. (also in Luton, Liberian mate of mine had his car keyed after recieving racial abuse, police said there was nothing they would, I mean could do)

The police went to the media saying that their figures showed the problem was caused by asians.

Walter Chamberlain was mugged by asians, he and his family did not consider it a racist attack, but that didn't stop the police reporting it as such to the media, who in turn escalated the issue.

As I mentioned, on the same day as Walter's attack, an asian taxi driver was lured to his death by a gang of whites, but that was never reported in the local media.

The BNP increased their anti-asian rehtoric, along with other racist thugs, planning attacks etc from pubs.

Then it all kicked off.

The police were seen by many white residents as kicking the doors in of asian families and dragging them out for a beating.

Many elderly residents said they were more terrified of the police than the rioters.

If the police had been doing their job properly, and tackled the racists on either side, rather than supporting the white ones, the riots probably would not have happened.

Incidently, in 95/96, £53 million was given to Hathershaw and Fitton Hill (white areas), while only £16 million was given to Westwood and Glodwick (asian areas), which are of the most deprived areas.

So much for the idea that the goverment are bending over backwards to serve the non-indigenous caucasians at the expens of indigenous caucasians.

I'm afraid I don't have a link for that.

I've seen a few other interesting things on TV which might reveal some dark and ominous undercurrents of society.

I remember a documentary, I think it might have been part of the BBC White Season series. It featured a father and son who lived in the vicinity of an Asian area, perhaps in Yorkshire. The son was a skinhead, lots of tattoos. A C18 type. Like those people in White Tribe he predicted a race war in the coming years. Disliking Asians seemed to be the norm for the whites.

Another documentary I saw, perhaps it was on ITV, featured a Bangladeshi Muslim family somewhere like Oldham or Burnley. There was a mother and her son and daughter, both aged around twenty. It presented a contrasting scene. The son was dating a local white girl from an estate. The daughter however was rather hysterical and declared that whites are not to be allowed into the house. It was apparent that the girl was a very traumatized person. I think her mental state was the result of prolonged victimisation at the hands of white racists.

And there was also the play about the Bradford riots a few years back on Channel 4. It showed what led up to the riots. There was a bit where a gang of whites had surrounded a single Asian kid and were giving him a really good kicking, and the police stood nearby and not only did nothing to stop it, but stopped other Asians from helping the victim.

Edited by Dharma

These whites will get whats coming to them. The pakis tried it in 1947 and we slaughtered more of them than they could get of us. If they want to kick me out, they can try, I aint going anywhere. That's not because I love britain, its just that wherever i go i know the island monkeys will follow me to try it on again.