Sat Naam

Gurmukho,

What is Sat Naam (ਸਤਿਨਾਮੁ or ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ)?

Is it Waheguru

or names mentioned in Mool Mantar

or all the names of Lord (Hari, Krishna, Ram, Allah, Parbraham and many more)?

As per my limited understanding,

Waheguru is Gurumantar.

Names which comes after Sat Naam in Moolmantar are Sat Naam (true names) of His. These names represent Him as ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ.

All other names like Hari, Karishna, Shiv, Bisan, Allah are just Sargun names. Karishna existed somewhere in time line and can't be a true name. Same can be said for other Sargun names.

Please comment.

Karishna existed somewhere in time line and can't be a true name. Same can be said for other Sargun names.

Please comment.

Gurbani itself makes that clear, especially Dasam Bani.

Satnam just means that His name is true. True because it is permanent, never changing, and always was, always will be. Something that changes or dies to be born again can not be considered 'sat'. Waheguru has infinite names, but for us, the most important one is Gurmantar. You can't pick and choose which naam to jaap or keep changing it - there's no way you'll be able to concentrate.

Gurmantar is indeed Waheguru, but it only becomes a Gurmantar when given to you by your Guru - i.e. during Amrit Sanchar.

• 13 years later...

“Naam” is being used in a spiritual or religious context to refer to the divine presence of the Creator in the created world. In this context, “Naam” is seen as eternal and transcending the temporal reality of the changing universe.

The concept of “Naam” can indeed be seen as a way to connect with the divine or the unreachable Lord. Full knowledge of the Lord or the divine is beyond human comprehension or direct experience, and therefore, difficult to reach or connect with.

And in this ever-changing universe, Naam is the only permanent and accessible truth.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:36 AM, Laal Singh said:

“Naam” is being used in a spiritual or religious context to refer to the divine presence of the Creator in the created world. In this context, “Naam” is seen as eternal and transcending the temporal reality of the changing universe.

The concept of “Naam” can indeed be seen as a way to connect with the divine or the unreachable Lord. Full knowledge of the Lord or the divine is beyond human comprehension or direct experience, and therefore, difficult to reach or connect with.

And in this ever-changing universe, Naam is the only permanent and accessible truth.

Absolutely! 

The absolute/ eternal is Sat and his divine presence is Naam which can be felt/ heard/ held by gurmukhs' only. So 'naam' in simple terms is Anhad bani, dhun, naad- shabad Guru. 

When naam becomes pargat in a gurmukh, the First nishanee is - he starts getting Amrit ras/ har ras I  his mouth. The sweet nectar taste sat veerji has mentioned in his blog here. . There are many panktis in SGGS Ji which I canmention n will support my thinking-

Amrit Har ka naam hai

Amrit naam nirmolak heera... 

Har ki katha Anahad bani

Har ka naam Amrit hai.. 

Pls read all har ka naam pauri from Sukhmani sahib... For more insight.