Mutha Tek (Prostration)

What are the different types of mutha deek (head butt- prostration) one can do to maharaj. Like some people kiss the ground, some rub nose, so do variety, some do multiple prostrations.. what are the significances and all different types... do you think it is bad just to do metha dek, because maharaj charna is in shabad so walking away without listening to gurbani is alike to idoltary, or would you disagree saying there is alot of phul as one has bowed infront of satguru

What would you make of this source of janamsakhi from .. http://www.scribd.com/doc/14387970/BABANANAK page 237-238

Mardānā was always curious

my dear Bābā, the Sage, the Great Master !

you have been critical

of temples, of mosques

of Hindus, of Muslims

of sādhus, of siddhās …

are you sure

your followers will listen to what you preach

what you discern and describe ?

no, my dear Mardānā

I have no illusions

humanity is like the tail of a dog

it can never be straightened

my followers will also be caught in the snares of māyā

in the mire of classes and castes

they will fight for the gaddīs, for the dērās

replete with rites and rituals

their houses of worship will be

no different from the temples and the mosques

they will bother more about dress and diet

than Truth and Love

they will worship the Granth

and will never reflect on

what is written in it

they will have no time

for meditation and introspection

for honest and true deeds …

but what can I do ?

what can we do ?

I follow my mission

I proclaim the Word of the Lord

I live in His will

in His truth and love

in His rhythm and reason …

what has to happen will happen

one must follow His order

His dictates, His dispensation

Edited by sarbatdapala

mere worship isn't enough, a person must read, reflect, and put teachings into practice.

btw, dress and diet are a part of our dharm too, but only a starting point. people get caught up in these and stop progress. from the context we can see that worship of the granth isn't regarded as a negative.

look at those who are closest to satguru, those with the highest avastha. Baba Nand Singh ji and other mahapurkhs treated Guru Granth Sahib ji with utmost respect and devotion. They did worship it. But included putting the teachings into practice as a part of that worship.

Edited by Xylitol

I am not sure between the idea of worhsip vs utter true respect, because in Indian tradation we always had true satkaar for gurdev, gurus and teachers.. while in the west the respect for a teacher is something else our ideas of east and west on respect for knowledge has been different even with the chinese there sensis.. but the most important thing is the teaching, knowledge to be acquired. If a student disrespects there teacher they are bound to fail there exams (except when the teacher forgiving them and still teaching on). It is Guru Gobind singh ji maryada to do akal pooja (no muslim graves or hindu temples) and even when he was dehdhari Guru he is even saying anyone who calls him God will go to the darkest of hells. Satkaar for maharaj saroop picked up from Baba Nand Singh JI... He taught to fold the garment on mahraj saroop and iron as like a wife irons her husbands garments with Love.. so from Nanaksar samprada there is alot of satkaar of maharaj can we say we do Guru Granth Sahib pooja, the word is used for shastars satkaar with nihangs shastar pooja. But then would the satkar for sri dasam granth be on the same level?

Edited by sarbatdapala