Waheguru

It is because Waheguru is a Mantar to meditate on whereas Hari, Ram, Gopal, Gobind etc which are the most common names of God in Gurbani are the Kirtmam names - names regering to his attributes. I think using the word Waheguru for God is a recent phenomenon and in the past Sikhs used Ram and Hari when refering to God, while Waheguru was used to meditate on.

Think of it like hindus. They use Ram and Gobind for God yet they meditate on Om. If they did as the Sikhs soon every Hindu would say Om is the God in hinduism, Om created the world, may Om bless you etc etc.

Edited by amardeep

The word Waheguru is not very prominent in our Sri Guru Granth Sahib, I find this strange especially because this is my main focal point during simran.

Will anyone kindly educate me?

The reason given in a book I once read was that because it is the Gurmantra and traditionally in Indian spiritual traditions the Gurmantra was kept gupt by the Guru only to be revealed to a devotee during initiation. But now everything is Khulaa and people reveal everything to everyone.

It is because Waheguru is a Mantar to meditate on whereas Hari, Ram, Gopal, Gobind etc which are the most common names of God in Gurbani are the Kirtmam names - names regering to his attributes. I think using the word Waheguru for God is a recent phenomenon and in the past Sikhs used Ram and Hari when refering to God, while Waheguru was used to meditate on.

Think of it like hindus. They use Ram and Gobind for God yet they meditate on Om. If they did as the Sikhs soon every Hindu would say Om is the God in hinduism, Om created the world, may Om bless you etc etc.

Amardeep thank you for your prompt reply.

I wonder if Guru Nanak ji himself used this mantar and whether this was one of the areas discussed during his debates with sadhus and Yogis.

Anyway thanks

Edited by zulu
merged your two posts into one

This is an interesting topic. I remember reading an extant hukam-nama where Sikhs were instructed 'Guru Guru jap' or something similar.

I'll have to hunt for it now lol.

Some time ago I read an extant rehatnama issue by one of the Gurus and if I recall rightly the instructions were 'Guru guru japo'. Plus I think you may find other naam simran techniques in extant puratan rehats.

Waheguru has an early precedent as can be seen by the importance placed on it in Bhai Gurdas's vaars.

Ultimately though, single minded, devoted focus on the formless, eternal truth is going to be beneficial and accepted no matter what name is used. No?