Nach Nach

K4ur

Someone on this forum asked if it was okay to dance... and i said yeah its okay aslong as any wrong thoughts... were not triggered....

I just wana clear this up. Someone recently said to me dancing is wrong. I NOW beleive them.

I will pull out this FULL shabad so the meaning is clear... as soon as i can.

Just want to say i was wrong and please forgive me for what i had said.

rwij rMgu mwil rMgu ] rMig rqw ncY nµgu ]

raaj ra(n)g maal ra(n)g || ra(n)g rathaa nachai na(n)g ||

Intoxicated with power and thrilled with wealth, they delight in their pleasures, and dance about shamelessly.

nwnk TigAw muTw jwie ]

naanak t(h)agiaa mut(h)aa jaae ||

O Nanak, they are deluded and defrauded.

ivxu nwvY piq gieAw gvwie ]1]

vin naavai path gaeiaa gavaae ||1||

Without the Lord's Name, they lose their honor and depart. ||1||

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

hey yea i would reckn dancing is wrong cuz it brings so many stupid thoughts...well for me it did...one day i put some punjabi songs on and danced for a few minz in my room i realised it was wrong and stupid...i thought wat if Guru Ji were here :shock: :| :!: :x uru Ji were here!!!! :(:oops:

Obviously there is dancing that is erotic, and that's surely not what is being recommended, but even Guru Nanak had Mardana play music, and so it is the quality of the music for one thing, and the type of dancing for another that matters. Sikhs are not ascetics, and we ought to be able to enjoy rhythm and movement without being excessive or "over the line" with either. Obviously the highest music is Gurbani Kirtan, and we don't dance to that, but joyful, exhuberant dancing is good exercise if nothing else! If we prohibit the youth from dancing, they will be more eager to do it.It is OK to listen to other music than Gurbani. However, violent, angry and sexual music is not good for promoting goodness in yourself and not good for promoting peace in our world.

hope this helps!

It's part of culture if nothin else....

What is bhangra, what is giddha....

those are all folk dances part of our heritage and it's all nice to be a good sikh and all, but if u forget about ur culture and focus on religious aspect of life while ur living, ur never going to be able to practice the ghrasti part of life...

What i'm finding reading all of ur posts is that ur going to an extreme form of sikhism where there is no balance between the spiritual part of life and material... face it we have to live in this world and deal with ppl all around us... the point is to live it w/out attachment to items, but to still utilise whatever we have around us, otherwise why don't u just go to the jungle and practice ascetism...

one should control their thoughts and actions but not go as far as putting restrictions on urself that make u feel uncomfortable...and all of u r prolly gonna say that their not restrictions that it's what the Guru Ji's said, but would the Guru Ji's really want u to live an unhappy life...

we're His children, and any father would want to see His sons and daughters enjoying their life and making the most of it....

Live in this world... that's their msg...

u know u may be rite - but then u know wot u sed cud be sed 4 anything. Its that kind of thing that everone in our "culture" uses... and this is wot brings ppl away from SIkhi - making these kinda excuses is wot made this panjabi society so crap.... the fact that ppl started to say we need " live in this world" - TRUE i agree we need 2 start living inn this world - but REALITY CHECK..... just remember why u r living in this world!!!!!

People, mainly elders, use excuses like that canadian-j - for nearly everything and they have forgotten the old ways!

but if u forget about ur culture and focus on religious aspect of life while ur living, ur never going to be able to practice the ghrasti part of life...

it is EXACTLY this kinda thinking that brings ppl down!!!!!! I can go paint balling, cinema, bowling, go out for a hot chocholate with ma m8s, go to alton towers theme parks, do most things and still be a Sikh.... yeah i get wot ur saying, but the way u put it is the exact kinda thinking that gets to me, that u need to "live". Ppl r forgetting why we are actually LIVING!!!!!!!

What i'm finding reading all of ur posts is that ur going to an extreme form of sikhism where there is no balance between the spiritual part of life and material...
-

I think ur wrong there.... lots of ppl on this site have a lot of fun and joke - i can tell this cus sumtimes they go "off the topic" and start having joke.... i think the complete opposite 2 u there!!!! You cant just say that about ppl u dont know and number 2, i think most of the ppl have got more of a balance in life on this site than most ppl!!!!

nd all of u r prolly gonna say that their not restrictions that it's what the Guru Ji's said, but would the Guru Ji's really want u to live an unhappy life...

Your rite - hu said anything about these restrictions - bhangra and gidda are turning into more and more lustful movements - and this is also in another discussion topic .....yeah lets make that acceptable too shall we?!?!?!?!! When u look into SIkhi deeper ull find all these points u make about would GuruJi really want us to ive an unhappy life and so on... really outta the question!!!! Ppl start using that point to make almost ANYTHING accptabe!!!!!!!

The Guru's were there to guide us to God and gave us a way of life to do it!!!! INFACT - Guru Nanak Dev Ji said to bring ur head on a palm if u wana play his gamoe of love....

The matter of us "enjoying ourselves" and "living our lives" sounds like polotics to me.... AND I HATE POLOTICS!!!!!

I've had enuff!!!!!!!

U've had enough and so have I....

Look... it's not like i'm some mashed up kurri here jus sayin that to tick u off...

Words can be twisted to whatever meaning u want them to have....

I wrote in other post that even though our SGGS is direct word from God, ppl will twist to suit their needs...

I don't agree with lustful side of dance, but I rarely see that here at weddings and bday parties as such, esp family ones... I don't go clubbing at all, cuz it's not my thing...

So don't go around saying (indirectly).... that I'm jus saying this to validate what I do, cuz bhenji i'm not what u think I am....

I live a balanced life, where my sikhism and my entertainments go hand in hand........ while I go out, I'll remember my God and say thanx for puttin me in the position that u have...

I haven't forgotten the reason why we're here... but then again why would God put us in such life if he wanted us to be ascetics and lead a life of meditation only....

I'm just saying that ppl have forgotten that there needs to be a balance and that ppl should really really really stop judging others... and live ur own life... and if u feel dancing is wrong by all means don't dance, but then don't sit around at parties watching others dance cuz it ticks ppl like me off that I'm being watched like some form of entertainment (and then i stop, cuz I dance for no one but myself)....leave early if u have to....

Penji i wasnt tryna tick u off and im sorry - and reading back woah - that did sound harsh.

You know what it is, ive heard so much polotics yeah that it gets too me hardcore.... Im really sorry u got angry, it was not my intention.

You said u rarley see all this lust stuff at weddings and birthday parties etc... i have done. Thats y i think the way i do, cus of what i have seen and im sorry if that offended u in any way.

Im not going to place you in ANY position. by the sounds of it you sound pretty sure of yourself and u seem to know what u want and what you beleive. Thats totally wicked. Penji i respect u 4 that.

I dont think anything. Ive only just realised how my post sounded - so forgive me if u think that i was judging and u probably gona go off this site thinking wot the hell. All i can say is i dont "think" anything about u and i definatley do not catagorise u in any way...

LOOK - all i can say is im sorry.

No problem....chill girl, it's alrite...

I've come off pretty harsh myself, and that's just cuz we both believe in our views which is good...

I'm not condemning ur view or anyone else's I just believe that ppl should stop judging others based on what is their view of right .....

There are those that can dance for the pure joy of dancing.... Meer Bhai was like that, she danced and sang for her Lord, there was no lust in it....

My mom dances cuz she feels the same way, whenever she dances her heart out, it's like shes dancing for God and he's sooo happy to see her like that... (mate I ain't makin it up, my mom's a very blessed person)...

I don't know how the Uk is or how other families r, but my family at receptions we all dance together, brothers, sisters, cuzins and everyone, to have fun, it's not like we get together everyday, we can't cuz we live in diff cities...

From my experience I haven't seen things like this, but thas prolly cuz I don't want to ever put myself in such a position, it's stupid to be dancing like that...

Dancing is another form of art, and art is always encouraged as a form of expression and way of meeting God, but it all depends on ur train of thought as well...

and if one neva has a "bad thought while dancing" thas kewl, they should keep on dancing, but if someone has, they need to train their mind until they can control their thoughts...

Still though im sorry... i dont think i usually so judgmental - thats probably the way i came across. Im sorry though still.

I get what ur saying though. Besides, if its okay woth ur mum... then i have no1 has a say in the matter anyway.

VKVF