Who Is Maha Mayi ?

ਗੋਂਡ ॥ ਭੈਰਉ ਭੂਤ ਸੀਤਲਾ ਧਾਵੈ ॥ ਖਰ ਬਾਹਨੁ ਉਹੁ ਛਾਰੁ ਉਡਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਏਕੁ ਰਮਈਆ ਲੈਹਉ ॥ ਆਨ ਦੇਵ ਬਦਲਾਵਨਿ ਦੈਹਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਿਵ ਸਿਵ ਕਰਤੇ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਬਰਦ ਚਢੇ ਡਉਰੂ ਢਮਕਾਵੈ ॥੨॥ ਮਹਾ ਮਾਈ ਕੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਨਰ ਸੈ ਨਾਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੩॥ ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਨੀ ॥੪॥ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗਹੁ ਮੀਤਾ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਣਵੈ ਨਾਮਾ ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਗੀਤਾ ॥੫॥੨॥੬॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 874}

Who is Maha Mayi ? Is it Adi Shakti or different entity such as Parvati/Bhavani etc. ?

Does this Shabad mean that if one worships 'Maha Mayi' he will be reborn as a woman ?

This Maha Mayi concept has really confused me. I hope its different than the Adi Shakti of Akal Purakh. Maybe in the context of the shabad it means something else.

Please discuss.

Following are some translations:

ਨੋਟ: ਅਖ਼ੀਰਲੀ ਤੁਕ ਵਿਚ ਸੰਬੋਧਨ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਜਿਸ "ਮੀਤ" ਨੂੰ ਨਾਮਦੇਵ ਜੀ ਇਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਭੈਰਉ, ਸ਼ਿਵ, ਮਹਾ ਮਾਈ ਆਦਿਕ ਦੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਵਲੋਂ ਵਰਜਦੇ ਹਨ ਉਹ ਕੋਈ 'ਪੰਡਤ' ਜਾਪਦਾ ਹੈ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਉਸ ਦਾ ਧਿਆਨ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਹੀ ਧਰਮ-ਪੁਸਤਕ 'ਗੀਤਾ' ਵਲ ਭੀ ਦਿਵਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਪਦਅਰਥ: ਭੈਰਉਇਕ ਜਤੀ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਸੀ, ਸਵਾਰੀ ਕਾਲੇ ਕੁੱਤੇ ਦੀ ਕਹੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ। ਸ਼ਿਵ ਜੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਅੱਠ ਭਿਆਨਕ ਸ਼ਕਲਾਂ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਇੱਕ ਭੈਰਉ ਹੈ। ਇਸ ਦਾ ਮੰਦਰ ਜੰਮੂ ਤੋਂ ਪਰੇ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਦੇ ਮੰਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਉਤੇ ਦੋ ਮੀਲ ਤੇ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ। ਸੀਤਲਾਚੀਚਕ (small pox) ਦੀ ਦੇਵੀ; ਇਸ ਦੀ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਖੋਤੇ ਦੀ ਹੈ। ਖਰਖੋਤਾ। ਖਰ ਬਾਹਨੁਖੋਤੇ ਦੀ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ। ਛਾਰਸੁਆਹ।੧।

ਤਉਤਾਂ। ਰਮਈਆਸੋਹਣਾ ਰਾਮ। ਲੈ ਹਉਲਵਾਂਗਾ। ਆਨਹੋਰ। ਬਦਲਾਵਨਿਬਦਲੇ ਵਿਚ, ਵੱਟੇ ਵਿਚ। ਦੈ ਹਉਦੇ ਦਿਆਂਗਾ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਬਰਦਬਲਦ (ਇਹ ਸ਼ਿਵ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਹੈ)ਡਉਰੂਡਮਰੂ।੨।

ਮਹਾਵੱਡੀ। ਮਹਾ ਮਾਈਵੱਡੀ ਮਾਂ, ਪਾਰਵਤੀ। ਸੈਤੋਂ। ਹੋਇਬਣ ਕੇ। ਅਉਤਰੈਜੰਮਦਾ ਹੈ।੩।

ਕਹੀਅਤਕਹੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ। ਭਵਾਨੀਦੁਰਗਾ ਦੇਵੀ। ਬਰੀਆਵਾਰੀ। ਛਪਾਨੀਲੁਕ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ।੪।

ਗਹੁਫੜ, ਪਕੜ, ਆਸਰਾ ਲੈ। ਮੀਤਾਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ ਪੰਡਤ! ਇਉਇਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਹੀ।੫।

ਅਰਥ: ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਭੈਰੋਂ ਵਲ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਭਾਵ, ਜੋ ਭੈਰੋਂ ਦੀ ਅਰਾਧਨਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ) ਉਹ (ਵਧ ਤੋਂ ਵਧ ਭੈਰੋਂ ਵਰਗਾ ਹੀ) ਭੂਤ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜੋ ਸੀਤਲਾ ਨੂੰ ਅਰਾਧਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ (ਸੀਤਲਾ ਵਾਂਗ) ਖੋਤੇ ਦੀ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ (ਖੋਤੇ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ)ਸੁਆਹ ਹੀ ਉਡਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੧।

(ਹੇ ਪੰਡਤ!) ਮੈਂ ਤਾਂ ਇੱਕ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਰਾਮ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਹੀ ਲਵਾਂਗਾ, (ਤੁਹਾਡੇ) ਹੋਰ ਸਾਰੇ ਦੇਵਤਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਉਸ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਵੱਟੇ ਵਿਚ ਦੇ ਦਿਆਂਗਾ, (ਭਾਵ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਟਾਕਰੇ ਤੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਭੀ ਦੇਵੀ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਦੀ ਲੋੜ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ)੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਸ਼ਿਵ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ (ਵਧ ਤੋਂ ਵਧ ਜੋ ਕੁਝ ਹਾਸਲ ਕਰ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਸ਼ਿਵ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ ਲੈ ਕੇ, ਸ਼ਿਵ ਦੀ ਸਵਾਰੀ) ਬਲਦ ਉੱਤੇ ਚੜ੍ਹਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ (ਸ਼ਿਵ ਵਾਂਗ) ਡਮਰੂ ਵਜਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੨।

ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਦੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਤੋਂ ਜ਼ਨਾਨੀ ਬਣ ਕੇ ਜਨਮ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੂਜਯ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ ਹੀ ਬਣ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ)੩।

ਹੇ ਭਵਾਨੀ! ਤੂੰ ਸਭ ਦਾ ਮੁੱਢ ਅਖਵਾਉਂਦੀ ਹੈਂ, ਪਰ (ਆਪਣੇ ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੂੰ) ਮੁਕਤੀ ਦੇਣ ਵੇਲੇ ਤੂੰ ਭੀ, ਪਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ, ਕਿੱਥੇ ਲੁਕੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਮੁਕਤੀ ਭਵਾਨੀ ਪਾਸ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ)੪।

ਸੋ, ਨਾਮਦੇਵ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ-ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ (ਪੰਡਤ!) ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਿੱਖਿਆ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਓਟ ਲੈ, (ਤੁਹਾਡੀ ਧਰਮ-ਪੁਸਤਕ) ਗੀਤਾ ਭੀ ਇਹੀ ਆਖਦੀ ਹੈ।੫।੨।੬।

ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਭਾਵ: ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਵਧ ਤੋਂ ਵਧ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੂਜਯ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ ਹੀ ਬਣ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ; ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਮੁਕਤੀ ਦਿਵਾਉਣੀ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੇਵੀ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਦੇ ਹੱਥ ਨਹੀਂ; ਇਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਹੀ ਸਿਮਰਨਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਹੀ ਮੁਕਤੀ-ਦਾਤਾ ਹੈ। http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/0874.html

Bẖairo bẖūṯ sīṯlā ḏẖāvai.
One who chases after the god Bhairau, evil spirits and the goddess of smallpox,
ਖਰ ਬਾਹਨੁ ਉਹੁ ਛਾਰੁ ਉਡਾਵੈ ॥੧॥Kẖar bāhan uho cẖẖār udāvai. ||1||is riding on a donkey, kicking up the dust. ||1||
ਹਉ ਤਉ ਏਕੁ ਰਮਈਆ ਲੈਹਉ Ha▫o ṯa▫o ek rama▫ī▫ā laiha▫o.I take only the Name of the One Lord.
Ān ḏev baḏlāvan ḏaiha▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.I have given away all other gods in exchange for Him. ||1||Pause||
Siv siv karṯe jo nar ḏẖi▫āvai.That man who chants "Shiva, Shiva", and meditates on him,
ਬਰਦ ਚਢੇ ਡਉਰੂ ਢਮਕਾਵੈ ॥੨॥Baraḏ cẖadẖe da▫urū dẖamkāvai. ||2||is riding on a bull, shaking a tambourine. ||2||
ਮਹਾ ਮਾਈ ਕੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰੈ Mahā mā▫ī kī pūjā karai.One who worships the Great Goddess Maya
ਨਰ ਸੈ ਨਾਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੩॥Nar sai nār ho▫e a▫uṯarai. ||3||will be reincarnated as a woman, and not a man. ||3||
ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ Ŧū kahī▫aṯ hī āḏ bẖavānī.
You are called the Primal Goddess.
Mukaṯ kī barī▫ā kahā cẖẖapānī. ||4||At the time of liberation, where will you hide then? ||4||
ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗਹੁ ਮੀਤਾ Gurmaṯ rām nām gahu mīṯā.Follow the Guru's Teachings, and hold tight to the Lord's Name, O friend.
ਪ੍ਰਣਵੈ ਨਾਮਾ ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਗੀਤਾ ॥੫॥੨॥੬॥Paraṇvai nāmā i▫o kahai gīṯā. ||5||2||6||
Thus prays Naam Dayv, and so says the Gita as well. ||5||2||6||

I like reading banis of Dasam Pita Ji (once in a while) such as Chandi Di Var, Chandi Charitar 1,2 and Uggardanti. I love reading these. So I cannot think that the Shakti of Nirankar is a negative thing. Even though it is something that my mind cannot grasp or understand but I believe to be the working force that is running this and billion others universes. Its like Bhagauti. The shakti can manifest in many forms such as Sword. I guess all those names such as Chandi, Bhavani, Durga, Kalka are the various forms that shakti manifested as per times need. And I guess during mughal era (rakhash), it manifested as Sword/Shastar. That is my understanding so far.

But I am just scared or doubtful,that if I am reading those banis. Am I worshipping Maha Mayi? I dont think so , I am just singing praises of warrior through Guru Jis bani. But then Chandi also gives boons. Is it bad to receive boons from her? My fear is that I am slowly getting attracted towards the idea of receiving gifts from Chandi. My mind is shaking.

So in the end where do I draw the line ? Worshipping Chandi vs singing her praises through Guru Jis bani.

or unless Maha Mayi being talked about here in this shabad solely refers to wife of Bhairo/siva i.e parvati and separate from Adi Shakti. ?

I like reading banis of Dasam Pita Ji (once in a while) such as Chandi Di Var, Chandi Charitar 1,2 and Uggardanti. I love reading these. So I cannot think that the Shakti of Nirankar is a negative thing. Even though it is something that my mind cannot grasp or understand but I believe to be the working force that is running this and billion others universes. Its like Bhagauti. The shakti can manifest in many forms such as Sword. I guess all those names such as Chandi, Bhavani, Durga, Kalka are the various forms that shakti manifested as per times need. And I guess during mughal era (rakhash), it manifested as Sword/Shastar. That is my understanding so far.

But I am just scared or doubtful,that if I am reading those banis. Am I worshipping Maha Mayi? I dont think so , I am just singing praises of warrior through Guru Jis bani. But then Chandi also gives boons. Is it bad to receive boons from her? My fear is that I am slowly getting attracted towards the idea of receiving gifts from Chandi. My mind is shaking.

So in the end where do I draw the line ? Worshipping Chandi vs singing her praises through Guru Jis bani.

or unless Maha Mayi being talked about here in this shabad solely refers to wife of Bhairo/siva i.e parvati and separate from Adi Shakti. ?

Ok I see where you are at. You seem quite learned to me.

We are looking at different traditions here. They do have similarities and we might think they are the same. But these kinds of differences pop up and you don't know what to make of them.

First just realize they are different.

The tradition of Guru Granth Sahib is about worshipping Ram/Hari/Krishna. ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗਹੁ ਮੀਤਾ ॥ This is the Vaishnu tradition. Guru Nanak Dev ji says in Asa Di Vaar "Ek Krishanam sarab deva, deva deva ta Atma"

Now in Dasam Granth there is a different tradition of worshipping Mahakal and Shakti. These are Shaiv and Shakat traditions respectively. That's why there are ballads of Chandi, and in Bachittar Natak talks about "Mahadev devam, Mahakal kalam".

Mahadev and Mahakal, and Chandi/Durga never appear in Guru Granth Sahib. If they do, you are told not to worship them like in Bhagat Namdev ji's shabad.

In Dasam Granth they do appear again and again, and you are told not to worship Ram/Hari/Krishna (and even Ganesh "Main na Ganesh prithm dhiaoon").

lol

If you were a Sikh of Guru Nanak Dev ji's time all the way to Guru Tegh Bahadur ji, you would just worship Ram/Hari/Krishna and it would be quite simple.

But if you are Sikh who comes during or after Guru Gobind Singh ji's time...now it's starting to get complicated. You see sikhs who belong to different traditions coming together under Guru Gobind Singh ji. And they hold different beliefs. Some sikhs worship Ram/Hari/Krishna like they used to, some worship Lakshmi/Maya, some worship Chandi/Durga, some worship Sadashiv or Mahakal, etc.

In modern times, sometimes, they interpret all these traditions as one tradition. Where all these are forms of the same Divine Being.

And I am sure you know of sikhs who will reject all the forms and just pray to the Formless. Even that's a form of the same Divine Being.

So what does this all this come down to?

In the end just go with your heart.

Whichever God/Goddess you like more, whichever form of Akal Purakh you are most attracted to, just worship that form. In the end, it's all about the relationship you build.

The Chandi invoked in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib is the Aad Shakti and is associated with Bir Ras. It was this Bir Ras that made them 1,25000=1