How Nanak Became Guru Nanak And What That Meant

Sat Sri Akal :)

I certainly won't learn you something if I tell you the following traditionnal story : Nanak came to a river after a youth of virtue and spiritual righteousness. Then, it is said he disappeared during three days. This time is common in many religious traditions : I was born in a christian family, learnt the life of Jesus, and noticed many times he came back to life after three days in the grave.
The gospels insist to show he resurrected after those days : those holy scriptures disagree about many subjects, but the concept of three days comes again and again, regardless of the gospel you can use. Knowing Nanak's story reminds me the book of Jonas, in which a prophet of God is trapped in a whale for... Three days.

I am pretty serious when I study religions, and even more when I want to compare some of their teachings. So, I would not use different elements at the same time if they didn't have a few common points. But those three days you can find in many traditions seem to give a deep symbol of :
- Fulfillement.
- Getting a divine mission.
- Becoming closer to God than most of men.

My personnal opinion would be the next : the number three could symbolize keeping ahead of duality. Going out of black/white, good/bad, right/wrong, at least in the human sense. It reminds me of the yin-yang symbol, eventhough many people of western origins do not really understand what it implies.

To conclude, I would believe in a symbolic element during Nanak's learning, with very deep implications... But that's only my understanding, and your opinions are welcomed ^_^

Regards,

Farhad.

Sat Sri Akal :)

I certainly won't learn you something if I tell you the following traditionnal story : Nanak came to a river after a youth of virtue and spiritual righteousness. Then, it is said he disappeared during three days. This time is common in many religious traditions : I was born in a christian family, learnt the life of Jesus, and noticed many times he came back to life after three days in the grave.

The gospels insist to show he resurrected after those days : those holy scriptures disagree about many subjects, but the concept of three days comes again and again, regardless of the gospel you can use. Knowing Nanak's story reminds me the book of Jonas, in which a prophet of God is trapped in a whale for... Three days.

I am pretty serious when I study religions, and even more when I want to compare some of their teachings. So, I would not use different elements at the same time if they didn't have a few common points. But those three days you can find in many traditions seem to give a deep symbol of :

- Fulfillement.

- Getting a divine mission.

- Becoming closer to God than most of men.

My personnal opinion would be the next : the number three could symbolize keeping ahead of duality. Going out of black/white, good/bad, right/wrong, at least in the human sense. It reminds me of the yin-yang symbol, eventhough many people of western origins do not really understand what it implies.

To conclude, I would believe in a symbolic element during Nanak's learning, with very deep implications... But that's only my understanding, and your opinions are welcomed ^_^

Regards,

Farhad.

3 symbolises the trinity.

In eastern dharama the trinity is symbolised by the Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

As you know, Trinity is also used within the Christian Faith, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

Edited by Kulsingh5

3 symbolises the trinity.

In eastern dharama the trinity is symbolised by the Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

As you know, Trinity is also used within the Christian Faith, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"

You are right ; I forgot another meaning of it, maybe more symbolic than religious. The number three is sometimes associated with flesh, mind and soul. To unite them is an important goal at least in christian meditation (hesychast), by breathing practices and mantra reciting.

Your statement about the dharmic trinity is also very interesting : I didn't notice this concept also exist in christianity, and also in ancient european religions. Just take a look at celtic mythology and the triskel symbol, this is pretty close by its sense.

You are right ; I forgot another meaning of it, maybe more symbolic than religious. The number three is sometimes associated with flesh, mind and soul. To unite them is an important goal at least in christian meditation (hesychast), by breathing practices and mantra reciting.

Your statement about the dharmic trinity is also very interesting : I didn't notice this concept also exist in christianity, and also in ancient european religions. Just take a look at celtic mythology and the triskel symbol, this is pretty close by its sense.

In the Sikh scriptures the following is used:

eik sa(n)saaree eik bha(n)ddaaree eik laaeaedheebaan ||

One, the Creator of the World; One, the Sustainer; and One, the Destroyer.

Edited by Kulsingh5

Muslim sufi fakirs have mentioned in their writtings about nanak 500 years before his burth

You have any evidence of this?