Meditations On Meditation

I've been meditating daily for a few years now (yes there are the odd days when I can't because I have to rush out somewhere).

But I can say it is a part of my life now. It's not a fad or a phase. I need it.

Now when I started I had a few 'sensational' experiences, but as people told me at the time - these are common early on. I don't seek them now. They don't occur now.

What I'm trying to get at is that right now, it's like 20 minutes of letting my brain go 'freefall' - if you know what I mean.

I'd be happy to do just that for the rest of my life for the relaxing feeling it gives. It cleanses.

But I have to ask, should I be going somewhere else with this? Have I stalled? Am I just coasting?

It's like getting caught up in, and then letting go of - thought waves.

You what I've found is that even analysing it. Or trying to conceptualise it is counterproductive.

It's like the whole point is breaking out of a box, but then we go on and 'box' the experience in cognitive terms and language.

Seems self defeating?

Edited by dalsingh101

You what I've found is that even analysing it. Or trying to conceptualise it is counterproductive.

It's like the whole point is breaking out of a box, but then we go on and 'box' the experience in cognitive terms and language.

Seems self defeating?

As long as there is an experience behind the words, it's ok to use words and to conceptualize/analyze it.

If one has a strawberry in their mouth and they can taste it. It's ok for them to describe the taste. In fact, when trying to describe it, they'll see inside how well they are able to describe the taste. They'll be able to check where they are aware and where they need to become more aware.

But if there is no strawberry and there has never been a strawberry. Then its counter-productive to describe it or analyze it because there is no actual knowledge, no actual experience that is being analyzed, it is an exercise in futility.

But then aren't we essentially interpreting the experience in the light of our senses again. Which (if I've got it right?), I believe we are trying to transcend.

When one has transcended, it doesn't matter if they interpret it into words or not. Interpretation cannot take anything away.

So the trap is not in interpreting. The trap is in analyzing interpretations without practice. Without (any attempts to have) an actual experience, interpretations are pointless.

I also think that A LOT of people actually project their egos onto their experiences as well.

That's another reason I think a level of 'guptness' is appropriate.

Okay, but going back to experience: at its best it is one of 'freedom'. Freedom from the material, from the mental, psychological babble, from constantly fluctuating emotions (off the top off my head).

What I want to know is how long it takes practitioners to start to actually 'still' the mind to a degree.

When we meditate we are essentially (at least initially) trying to make our brain work in an atypical way (in comparison to normal functioning). How long does it take people to quieten down the 'babble' that naturally takes place?

Edited by dalsingh101

I also think that A LOT of people actually project their egos onto their experiences as well.

How do you mean?

What I want to know is how log it takes practitioners to start to actually 'still' the mind to a degree.

When we meditate we are essentially (at least initially) trying to make our brain work in an atypical way (in comparison to normal functioning). How long does it take people to quieten down the 'babble' that naturally takes place?

Instantly. It's possible to still the mind in a blink especially for a moment. Anyone can do this, it just takes some focus.

This statement feels home. I might imagine myself to think a bodily sensation is special, when in fact it might be nothing.

Go with it. If you think a bodily sensation is special, try to get a better resolution on it. Try to sharpen that image of the sensation.

It's also your ego that fills you with self-doubt. And self-doubt is a big obstacle on the path.