Sikh Rehat Maryada

paapiman

Now jumping around differentiating between suha and lal... But the below tuks show that both Lal and Suha can be used positively.

ਲਾਲ ਭਏ ਸੂਹਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਇਆ ॥
Instead of the pale color of Maya, I am imbued with the deep red color of the Lord's Love.
ਮਃ 1
ਲੋਕਾ ਵੇ ਹਉ ਸੂਹਵੀ ਸੂਹਾ ਵੇਸੁ ਕਰੀ ॥
O people: I am in red, dressed in a red robe.
ਮਃ 3
ਲਾਲ ਰੰਗ ਪੂਰਨ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਬਿਧਾਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
The Love of the Red Beloved, the Architect of Destiny, is perfect. ||1||Pause||
ਮਃ 5
ਲਾਲ ਰੰਗੁ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਲਗਾ ਜਿਸ ਕੇ ਵਡਭਾਗਾ ॥
One is dyed in the color of the Lord's Love, by great good fortune.
ਮਃ 5
ਬਿਸਮ ਬਿਸਮ ਬਿਸਮ ਹੀ ਭਈ ਹੈ ਲਾਲ ਗੁਲਾਲ ਰੰਗਾਰੈ ॥
I am wonder-struck, wonder-struck, wonder-struck and amazed, dyed in the red color of my Beloved.
ਮਃ 5

More scientific evidence linking the color red to sex.

"Social psychologists with an evolutionary bent are in love with the color red. Women wear red, according to this view, as a sexual signal to attract men (e.g. Elliot et al., 2012). In non-human primates, females show they’re ready to mate by displaying red on their bodies, including face, chest, or genitalia." [1]

[1] - https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201212/is-red-the-color-sexual-desire

Obviously, I understand, more research needs to be done in this field. But, Gurmat is the most advanced science.

Easy way out - Follow Gurmat blindly. One day or the other, science will prove a lot of things written in Gurbani.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

Its about the eyes & senses, doesn't matter if you wear a niqab or bikini, a red dress or a black dress. You can get aroused even by a woman wearing hijab if your niyat and mann is not strong.

Evidence to show where men stare at, when they look at women.

http://guardianlv.co...womens-breasts/

You tell me brother, if a woman is dressed in loose clothes (no sexual body parts revealed), what are the chances that a man will keep staring at her as compared to a woman who has tight clothes on. I think, we all know the answer.

Again, I am talking from the perspective of a jagayasu (low level one).

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Hmm I hope someday to do panj pyare di seva just so I can say see a woman can do it just as good as a man! And I plan to at least have one female panj when I take Amrit soon. :)

Singhs stuck in past discriminating against women can follow DDT while I will follow SRM. We all have a choice. We all know what's right in our hearts.

Three more points regarding women.

Firstly, Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev jee Maharaaj decides to form his body inside a woman. Again, this gave honor to the women. He could have just appeared like Bhagwan Narsingh jee Maharaaj.

Secondly, the first woman to have darshan (also kirpa) of Satguru Sri Guru Nanak dev jee Maharaaj was a woman, named Mata Daulatan.

Thirdly, the first Sikh is also a woman, which is Mata Bebe Nankee jee.

Great uplifting of women by Satguru jee from very low levels to great heights.

Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev jee Maharaaj.

Edited by paapiman

my question to you is if you take Amrit from 5 men would it be invalid? Would you think of it as Amrit?

Satkirin_Kaur, on 12 Apr 2015 - 1:13 PM, said:

Hmm I hope someday to do panj pyare di seva just so I can say see a woman can do it just as good as a man! And I plan to at least have one female panj when I take Amrit soon.

Singhs stuck in past discriminating against women can follow DDT while I will follow SRM. We all have a choice. We all know what's right in our hearts.

You cannot compare a society where women are dressed modestly (from a male perspective) to a society where you have half naked women roaming around. Obviously, for a jagayasu, former will help him grow spiritually.

I have no issue dressing modestly, and expect the same from men. At the same level. Its when men think they are allowed to do differently that I have issue with. Women also look at men so whats good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak. Men don't get to tell women to dress in tents while they get to wear whatever is comfortable. They should also dress in tents. end of story.

What the hell are you talking about???? Where did he say that????? Now you just pulling stuff out of the thin air!

He keeps saying that men just by virtue of being men, are automatically entitled to do more (religiously speaking) than women. He said women can only do langar seva and keeps repeating it as if that should be good enough while he as a male can do any seva.

So "Optimum" rights in Sikhism (in your understanding) is still less than rights given to men? (By your own interpretations, including the single tuk from Gurbani which you twisted)... so women's "optimum" value (the highest they could ever hope to achieve) is intrinsically less than a man's in your opinion. Because your interpretation is women can only do 'some' seva while men can do ALL seva. And by your own interpretation of one tuk in a shabad taken out of context, women are to view men as God.

This sounds very much like Muslim ideology. Muhammad gave women 'some' rights so they should just accept that they were given a few rights and never want equal rights.

Today, some Sikh women cannot fathom the greatness of Satguru jee as they have not lived in those time where women were treated so badly. There is an example of this in history.

There were two women,who listened to a katha and they were caught. It was decided to pour hot wax into their ears as they had broken the so-called laws.

Even Brahmin and Khatri women did not have certain rights, you can imagine the status of so-called low caste women (JYI- approximately more than 80% of today's Sikhs are derived from so-called lower castes like jatts, tarkhans, chamars, Chimbay, etc)

Bottom line - Women have been given optimum rights in Sikhism. Whatever was given to them during the times of Satguru jee was revolutionary. Some examples are listed below.
Today we see,
Sikh women are allowed to listen to Katha.
Sikh women can recite mantars (Women and Shudar people were not allowed to recite mantars)

Sikh women are allowed to listen to kirtan.

Sikh women are allowed to do seva in langar.

Sikh women are allowed to attain shaster videya.

Sikh women are allowed to attain shaastar videya.

Sikh women can be part of gurudwara committees.
Sikhism has done a lot to uplift the status of women.
Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Nanak dev jee Maharaaj.

He keeps saying that men just by virtue of being men, are automatically entitled to do more (religiously speaking) than women. He said women can only do langar seva and keeps repeating it as if that should be good enough while he as a male can do any seva.

He also said this

"

Today, some Sikh women cannot fathom the greatness of Satguru jee as they have not lived in those time where women were treated so badly. There is an example of this in history.

There were two women,who listened to a katha and they were caught. It was decided to pour hot wax into their ears as they had broken the so-called laws.

Even Brahmin and Khatri women did not have certain rights, you can imagine the status of so-called low caste women (JYI- approximately more than 80% of today's Sikhs are derived from so-called lower castes like jatts, tarkhans, chamars, Chimbay, etc)

Bottom line - Women have been given optimum rights in Sikhism. Whatever was given to them during the times of Satguru jee was revolutionary. Some examples are listed below.

Today we see,

Sikh women are allowed to listen to Katha.

Sikh women can recite mantars (Women and Shudar people were not allowed to recite mantars)

Sikh women are allowed to listen to kirtan.

Sikh women are allowed to do seva in langar.

Sikh women are allowed to attain shaster videya.

Sikh women are allowed to attain shaastar videya.

Sikh women can be part of gurudwara committees.

Sikhism has done a lot to uplift the status of women.

Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Nanak dev jee Maharaaj."

But did he say that he is more entitled to stuff cause he has a penis??? Show me one place he said that..

Satkiran please answer this...

If I know for sure they they do not view me as less than them, and they support women having equal status in Sikhi then I don't have a problem if it happened to be five men. It's only if I know that the Gurdwara enforced only men... then I would not take it there. The Gurdwara I am taking it at, has had women panj pyares in recent past (even though some opposed it, most of the sangat supported it). This is in Kashmir and in Kashmir all of the Gurdwaras at the State level have said that SRM is to be followed and no other RM. SRM states both men and women can do panj pyare di seva. My fiance was involved with the executive at the time that women first did it there, and he was strong supporter of it. He also actively advocates for equal treatment of women at Harmandir Sahib... So though I plan to take Amrit with at least one female in Panj Pyares, if they happened to only be able to get all men, it wouldn't bother me at that Gurdwara because I know they support women doing it.

Here locally in Canada in my city, if we had enough to do Amrit Sanchars, we would support females as well. And also Toronto and Vancouver has seen it happen many times with females as Panj Pyares (mostly AKJ) but also in a few other Gurdwaras as well. Aside from DDT specific run Gurdwaras every one here that I know of go by SRM only (save for AKJ who follow SRM with a few extras like keski and some follow sarbloh bibek).

But did he say that he is more entitled to stuff cause he has a penis??? Show me one place he said that..

The main difference between men and women is what's between our legs. And that is being used to put women into subordinate role. Though he didnt say that exactly... he's condoning men having more rights than women in Sikhi because they happen to have been born with male genitalia.

The main difference between men and women is what's between our legs. And that is being used to put women into subordinate role. Though he didnt say that exactly... he's condoning men having more rights than women in Sikhi because they happen to have been born with male genitalia.

Sister, I think you need to relax.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

I have no issue dressing modestly, and expect the same from men. At the same level. Its when men think they are allowed to do differently that I have issue with. Women also look at men so whats good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak. Men don't get to tell women to dress in tents while they get to wear whatever is comfortable. They should also dress in tents. end of story.

You cannot compare a society where women are dressed modestly (from a male perspective)...........

I hope you read the entire sentence. I am talking from the perspective of a male.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

Oh I am calm, it's just frustrating that the one spiritual path that boasts itself as treating women as equals, really doesn't.

You can dress it up any way you want and try to call it what you want. The Singhs can all say 'Oh this isnt discrimination' but it doesn't change the fact that it is. Any time you tell someone they can't do something, for a reason that is beyond their control like.... caste, creed, colour, and yes even gender, it's discrimination. It's very unfair to the ones being told they are 'not allowed' to do something for a reson that's beyond their control. If it was for something that we could change, then we'd change, we'd improve ourselves in order to be able to do it. But if it's based on something like gender, that we are born with, it's very disheartening for Singhnis when Singhs keep saying'You aren't allowed to do this, you aren't allowed to do that' all the while intimating that simply because they happened to be born male, they themselves are allowed. Especially when the task in question, does not actually require any specific genetalia.

Singhs boast that caste discrimination was removed, stating that it means all humans are seen as equals in Sikhi... while still limiting their Mothers, sisters, daughters from full participation. Some go as far as actively looking for any shred of evidence they can to justify limiting Sikh women, instead of looking for evidence to uplift them. This says much about the internal attitudes of many Singhs... just how they view women. If caste discrimination is wrong, why a gender discrimination ok?

Then, these same Singhs wonder why Sikh girls are leaving Sikhi in droves, and marrying in interfaith marriages. Those that stay in SIkhi, go to the Gurdwara as more of a social gathering. Many will not marry a Singh with turban and beard. And Singhs wonder why?? They come here asking for the reasons??? Instead of relegating women to the kitchen, into subservient roles, maybe if Singhs started to uplift Sikh women to equal status, then they would embrace their religion much more. Maybe if SInghs started to support Bibian who choose to tie dastars and take Amrit, instead of trying to tell them that Amrit Sanchar was never meant for women. Maybe if women were respected as more than baby machines and house servants by Singhs, and seen as fully capable of defending themselves with training, and be seen as equals to them, maybe then Singhnis would stick around.

I know there ARE SInghs who think like this... that support Sikh women. I am marrying one. But if majority of Singhs are brought up to think their wives belong in the kitchen in the home, in subordinate roles, only cooking for them in langar, while not participating fully in Sikhi, then how can they ever expect women to actually stick around and take Sikhi seriously?? It's no wonder that most women just go to the Gurdwara to gossip these days and socialize. They for the most part remain in the kitchen where the SInghs pushed them to... and they gossip, and talk about everything but Sikhi. They don't take it seriously because they are not given active roles in religious duties.

Note that I am not talking about everyone. But you can not ignore the trend....

I for one, am serious about deeper philosophy. I take it seriously. I read Gurbani a lot. But to have Singhs tell me on here that I am not allowed to do this, not allowed to do that because I am a woman. It is very disheartening. How am I supposed to stay interested, if everything is done by the Singhs? They are in the limelight... they get to do all the visible seva. Seriously think about this... if you don't actively involve everyone equally, those who are discriminated, eventually lose interest. It's a proven fact!

Luckily my sangat are very open and supportive of women. And so are the Sangat in Kashmir where I will be living....

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Satkirin_Kaur, I understand where you coming from. The problem isn't with overall sikh community, I beleive its sikh youths who are becoming more and more fanatic day by day, hell bent on arguing/discussing on nitty-gritty issues. I say what we call it vehli janta- sikhs youths just need every day different entertainment to argue about, sikh youths feed off from conflicts they will get utterly bored on full unity. Its no different than some joe blow going out every day to look for various different entertainment, conflict views -political/social and be incite and engaged in. Its highly addictive..how do i know this? Because i was one of those dick heads who did that in the past but by maharaj kirpa can't be arsed with it anymore. It's worn out as i now spent more time with elder gursikhs rather than sikh youths, because now days sikh youths without elder gursikhs guidance in each and every step are utterly hopeless affair.

For example- Taksal, AKJ, Nanaksar- elder Gursikhs even though there are major differences such as - taksal and nananksar does not have women as panj pyares, but akj does even despite of those differences you don't see - taksal elder gursikhs going to akj gursikhs to super impose their views etc , call them manmat, slag, villify them etc and vice versa. Elder gursikhs are way too cool mellow, open minded, speaking voice as one unit. Look at sant jarnail singh bhindranwale even though he held panj pyares being men only view, he was pretty cool with akj despite of them having five women as panj pyares. You know why they didn't care about these issues? It didn't matter ultimately as they were connected on whole different unified higher level- NAAM they can feel the oneness within each other.

If those elder gursikhs from AKJ, Nanaksar, taksal only knew amount of shit goes on cyber internet sikhi facebook, they will beat hell out of us(metaphor) for wasting such a precious time on internet talking about some outer arbitrary differences which has no bearing on individual sikh spiritual journey instead of meditating on Naam.

Sorry for my own rant.

I am sorry if I offended anyone or hurt someone's feelings. I am just trying to learn about Gurmat as much as I can. If someone does not want to adhere to the orthodox Sikh beliefs, then I am fine with it (on a personal level).

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Oh I am calm, it's just frustrating that the one spiritual path that boasts itself as treating women as equals, really doesn't.

You can dress it up any way you want and try to call it what you want. The Singhs can all say 'Oh this isnt discrimination' but it doesn't change the fact that it is. Any time you tell someone they can't do something, for a reason that is beyond their control like.... caste, creed, colour, and yes even gender, it's discrimination. It's very unfair to the ones being told they are 'not allowed' to do something for a reson that's beyond their control. If it was for something that we could change, then we'd change, we'd improve ourselves in order to be able to do it. But if it's based on something like gender, that we are born with, it's very disheartening for Singhnis when Singhs keep saying'You aren't allowed to do this, you aren't allowed to do that' all the while intimating that simply because they happened to be born male, they themselves are allowed. Especially when the task in question, does not actually require any specific genetalia.

Singhs boast that caste discrimination was removed, stating that it means all humans are seen as equals in Sikhi... while still limiting their Mothers, sisters, daughters from full participation. Some go as far as actively looking for any shred of evidence they can to justify limiting Sikh women, instead of looking for evidence to uplift them. This says much about the internal attitudes of many Singhs... just how they view women. If caste discrimination is wrong, why a gender discrimination ok?

Then, these same Singhs wonder why Sikh girls are leaving Sikhi in droves, and marrying in interfaith marriages. Those that stay in SIkhi, go to the Gurdwara as more of a social gathering. Many will not marry a Singh with turban and beard. And Singhs wonder why?? They come here asking for the reasons??? Instead of relegating women to the kitchen, into subservient roles, maybe if Singhs started to uplift Sikh women to equal status, then they would embrace their religion much more. Maybe if SInghs started to support Bibian who choose to tie dastars and take Amrit, instead of trying to tell them that Amrit Sanchar was never meant for women. Maybe if women were respected as more than baby machines and house servants by Singhs, and seen as fully capable of defending themselves with training, and be seen as equals to them, maybe then Singhnis would stick around.

I know there ARE SInghs who think like this... that support Sikh women. I am marrying one. But if majority of Singhs are brought up to think their wives belong in the kitchen in the home, in subordinate roles, only cooking for them in langar, while not participating fully in Sikhi, then how can they ever expect women to actually stick around and take Sikhi seriously?? It's no wonder that most women just go to the Gurdwara to gossip these days and socialize. They for the most part remain in the kitchen where the SInghs pushed them to... and they gossip, and talk about everything but Sikhi. They don't take it seriously because they are not given active roles in religious duties.

Note that I am not talking about everyone. But you can not ignore the trend....

I for one, am serious about deeper philosophy. I take it seriously. I read Gurbani a lot. But to have Singhs tell me on here that I am not allowed to do this, not allowed to do that because I am a woman. It is very disheartening. How am I supposed to stay interested, if everything is done by the Singhs? They are in the limelight... they get to do all the visible seva. Seriously think about this...

Luckily my sangat are very open and supportive of women. And so are the Sangat in Kashmir where I will be living....

If you don't want me to reply to your posts, then I won't do so.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

p.s. - I currently serve on the management committee here as treasurer. My sangat supported me when I fought for the right of Sikh women to tie turban in Canadian military, and when the story made it to even Indian newspapers when I became the first Sikh woman to tie dastar in Royal Canadian Navy, my Sangat bestowed me with siropa for opening the door for future Singhnis to do the same without having to fight for it. I am trying to be the change I want to see, by trying to make a difference where I can to uplift other Sikh women and girls. I don't actually do much langar seva... I was never good at cooking. But I try to do seva wherever else I can. Outside of being on the executive committee, I am part of the Defence Visible Minority Advisory Group and helped plan a National event at the base here, involving all the different ethnic communities and I was liaison for the Sikh community and the Hindu community here locally to raise awareness of who we are. All this even though I am not Punjabi. I am a gori who embraced Sikhi for the ideals it teaches in Gurbani about equality.

But to see people twist one liners from Gurbani to mean the opposite of what it's actually saying in order to justify women being inferior to men, just irks me to the core! Its disheartening for Singhnis!!!! Not to pick on you Paapiman but that one liner you posted can not be taken in the meaning you tried to apply to it. It has to be in context to the shabad. sorry... its not a poke at you personally, just this whole movement among the young Singhs that seem to want to pick on Singhnis for no other reason than to stir up trouble or feed their male egos. Trust me you aren't the only one on here and its not your fault that you were brought up or taught that way of thinking. That way of thinking though will not unify the panth. Eventually, it would end up with an all male membership with the girls all leaving to marry outside Sikhi and pursue other spiritual paths that do truly treat them as equals. It's inevitable unless attitudes change. Women taking subordinate roles may have been fine 500 years ago when they came from very bad position prior. But as time goes on, we as a human race need to realize what Gurbani was saying all along:

Page 599, Line 2

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਈ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
Gurmukẖ ek ḏarisat kar ḏekẖhu gẖat gẖat joṯ samo▫ī jī▫o. ||2||

As Gurmukh, look upon all with the single eye of equality; in each and every heart, the Divine Light is contained. ||2||

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

You need to stop looking at sikhi with a western mindset where there are equality flaws...

Damdami Taksal and Nihang Singhs are the two sampradays started by guru Gobind singh ji.

The only thing that Damdami Taksal as per Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale does is not allow woman in Panj Pyare as per Puratan Maryada.

Sgpc calls for only 3 banis in the morning and a shorter rehras...

Sgpc Maryada is not accurate.

Also Sgpc was dissolved in 1986

You need to stop looking at sikhi with a western mindset where there are equality flaws...

Damdami Taksal and Nihang Singhs are the two sampradays started by guru Gobind singh ji.

The only thing that Damdami Taksal as per Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale does is not allow woman in Panj Pyare as per Puratan Maryada.

Good points bro. But just want to add other sects which were started during the times of tenth master or before - Sevapanthi, Udhasi, Nirmalay (branches into Rara Sahib, Nanaksar, etc), etc.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Sorry Harjot I disagree... equality is equality... discrimination is discrimination. Telling someone they can't do something is still inequality. You can't call it some 'other' kind of equality. It's not. And you'd feel different about it if you were a Kaur. That mindset of limiting some and still calling it equality, is what is driving Sikh women to leave Sikhi and marry outside... I am talking about Punjabi born Sikh women... leaving Sikhi because they feel put at a disadvantage, defined as somehow less then men. There is no eastern vs western equality. Equality is equality. Meaning if one person is allowed then the other should be allowed. Equal opportunity. No restrictions on anyone. It's difficult for Singhs to fathom because they are not restricted from anything at all. And it's easy being on that side of the fence and telling others they cant do something, when they themselves feel they are allowed to do everything. Its much harder to swallow if you are the one being told sorry, you're a girl you can't do this.

Basically, it's male ego (gender is only transitory) telling God in female form, which is equal to God in male form, that it is beneath and not privy to the same privileges as God in the other form. But... Gurbani tells us that the SAME divine light is in BOTH FORMS equally. How can you, in your human ego, decide to limit God in ANY form???

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur