Sikh Converts (Anybody?)

SinghMunda

Cos no1 knows or belives we exist. Dey say dey kno bout sikhism but in der minds i feel dat der still confussed bout our little differences between da Muslims.

Muslims r having da time of der lives. Dey kno dat der ganna get der "islamic world", cos ders so many of dem (2nd biggest Religion) i honesty tink chrisitans can't stop dis. I really feel dat muslims hav made us look bad on purpose.

Ever1's a maanmuk. Every1 1s telling me 2 cut my hair, i'm sick of dis nu world. I really feel frustrated, our Identitly is distorted. Sikhs in America getting killed by ppl cos of der ******* ignorance and always trying 2 take out der anger on da wrong ppl (us). Sikhs in India getting killed, not enough media bout sikhism, we need media space, da media is a powerful way of getting information, da media has turned our image 2 bad and if we use da media we can turn it bak 2 wot it was.

We shud go 2 da media 4 our religion based on our way of life. Den ppl will tink bout sikhism.

rupz ur very right - if anyone watched the prog last night on BBC4 Hindu Nation.... NOT ONCE did the presenter mark tully mention sikhs... but instead he talked about muslims - hindus - christians and even jews in india.... he talked about where some hindu extremists killed muslims - where 800 people died... he said "this was the largest amount of deaths since the partition in '47... " :roll: purposely pretend we dont exist :cry:

Yeh, i saw that Hindu Nation programme, there's another programme tonight to, and yes, the word Sikh was only used a couple of times, and not in any major significance to the programme itself. Nothing was mentioned of the slaughter of the Sikhs in 1984 by the hindus. Also, the singer from cornershop is a Punjabi Sikh, and the man who did that spaceman track from a few years back is Sikh too.

there are much more sikh converts than u think. some white ones live quite near to me.

the moslems arent doing as well as u wud think - recent census figures show that roughly the same amount of people are going to sikhi to islam and vice versa! either way.....we have to educate people more on sikhi........some sort of parchar is def needed

Guest BikramjitSingh

there are much more sikh converts than u think. some white ones live quite near to me.

the moslems arent doing as well as u wud think - recent census figures show that roughly the same amount of people are going to sikhi to islam and vice versa! either way.....we have to educate people more on sikhi........some sort of parchar is def needed

Khalsa Soulja

This is a post that I posted on the Sikh history forum last month. It makes interesting reading.....

As everyone is probably aware the religion figures for the 2001 UK census were released a few months ago. Last week a more detailed report was released which breaks down the figures for religion into ethnicity as well. These figures are available here -;

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/cen...01/S104_E&W.pdf

One of the most interesting revelations in these figures for Sikhs in the number of Sikhs amongst the non-Asian ethnicities. An important point to remeber with these figures is that the ethnicity question is not related to nationality or country of birth.

1. There were 6,893 Sikhs who were white. This figure is amazing given that there has not been any organised attempt by Sikhs to propagate their religion amongst the British. The figure for Whites who are Muslim is 179,773. On the face of it this figures appears to show the strides made by Muslims in converting the white people, but total given for whites in further broken down into British and Irish categories and other White. There are 63,932 British and Irish whites who were Muslims. The Other white figure includes all the Kosovans, Albanians and Bosnians who are classified as White but are not converts. So it is certainly a amazing fact that whereas Muslims with all their resources have only been able to convert 10 times the number of whites as Sikhs have. The Muslims have virtually unlimited resources but the Sikhs have neither cared for nor actively sought converts from the white population. There has been no organisation as the Sikh Dharma of Yogi Harbhanjan in the UK. This is what makes the figure of 10:1 so amazing.

2. Whereas the fact that there are white Sikhs in the UK is known to some in the Sikh community, the numbers for other ethinicities is even more revealing.

There are 617 Black Sikhs belonging to Black African or Black Caribbean ethnicities. There were 346 Pakistani and 113 Bangladeshi Sikhs and 79 Chinese Sikhs.

great post bik... makes ya think :D there are a few gora sikhs around my area - and ive seen one kali singhni - never seen any chinese sikhs tho :P this is a pic of a convert sikh taken from sikhkids.com

singh-on-waja_jpg.jpg

Does anyone else in the Uk think that narinder from big brother series 2 did a very very poor job of representing Sikhs, she looked very stupid, like especially with showing her praying in front of Guru Nanak pic, esp as she appeared to be am total manmukh

I agree, its stupid dat narinder prayed in front of da pic. it makes us look like idol worshippers.

• 2 weeks later...

ofcourse, Guru Sahib will always say taht out of humility, but Guru Nanak was the JOT OF AKAL PURAKH HIMSELF. Suleman has said it on his tape, we dont recognise this jot, but the highly enlightened people can see it. In the SGGS it is also said taht par-brahm and Satguru are one and the samething.

Theres a famous story which ma uncle told me when Guru Angad Dev became Guru.. Baba Buddha, Bala and many other saints of Guru Nanak asked Guru Angad Dev : "What did you think of Guru Nanak?"

Gur Angad Dev went silent and and asked the same question to everyone that what they thought of Guru Nanak?

Some said that He was a big BRAHMGYANI. Some said that He was the biggest SAINT others said that He was the biggest SADHU.

Guru Angad Dev said that whatever you thought of Him in your mind, you became that way. Baba Buddha thought of Him as Brahmgyani , so he himself became brahmgyani.

and Guru Angad Dev said that for me Guru Nanak was Par-Brahm Himself.