Uplifting Video For Sikh Girls

CdnSikhGirl

Well when I do get married in a year or so I'll discuss then. The freedom of home cannot be replicated anywhere else. For example going to the washroom in a restaurant is not as cozy as going in at home lol

Okay you made me LOL there haha.

Seriously look into starting an internet business or something else you can do from home. Once done in the military I will go back to what I did before which was graphic arts / photography and I can do photo editing from home. I also do web design in my spare time (I actually did our Gurdwara website).

Actually the devaluing happened a long time before feminism... It happened when it was decided that whoever goes out of the house to work gets all the say in everything...and control over the one who stays home.

We've all heard the saying "I bring home the money, everything is mine and so what I say goes"

That's when women became devalued and started wanting some of that control and say.

Actually the devaluing happened a long time before feminism...

Satkirin you are completely oblivious to reality. Haven't you ever heard traditional punjabi songs? Haven't you read Guru Granth sahib?

There is value in being a mother, housewife, father, husband, etc.

Feminism came along and shat over everything. That's why you got these kinds of statements like -

If there was birth of these jokes then what about birth of these quotes

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

Satkirin

It happened when it was decided that whoever goes out of the house to work gets all the say in everything...

Because it's their house, their income. They should get the final say on what happens with it. What is so difficult to understand about this?

and control over the one who stays home.

You don't think that's because of biology? or choice? or safety? or necessity?

Satkirin you are completely oblivious to reality. Haven't you ever heard traditional punjabi songs? Haven't you read Guru Granth sahib?

There is value in being a mother, housewife, father, husband, etc.

Feminism came along and shat over everything. That's why you got these kinds of statements like -

Satkirin

Because it's their house, their income. They should get the final say on what happens with it. What is so difficult to understand about this?

You don't think that's because of biology? or choice? or safety? or necessity?

Actually you are the one who is oblivious... Would you want to be forever considered a 'guest' in 'his' house??

You just hit the #1 reason for so called 'feminism' (and it's not man hating or shating all over everything)

Have you ever thought maybe just maybe women want equal say in family affairs etc? And that if bringing income into the home is the deciding factor as to who gets the final say over things, then of course women want to go outside the home to work, so that she can be equally part of decision making in 'THEIR' home!

This is what I mean by devaluing what women did traditionally. Of course mothers are respected... but I mean monitarily... her contribution did not have a price tag on it. There wasn't a monitary value put on what she did in the home... so it was seen that everything was HIS. HE brought the money home, so the home was HIS and he made final decision etc. Her work (maid, cook, servant, nanny, teacher etc) was not seen as having any monetary value and so she was not given any say in things and everything was seen as his. Actually if you calculate all of those positions and what you'd have to pay for full time for all of them, her 'job' should have earned her more than equal share of decision making in the home!!

Feminism started because women no longer wanted to just be a guest in their husbands home with no say. They wanted it to be 'THEIR' home where they had equal say.

THATS why women went out to work... They no longer wanted to be in that lower position without equal say in things, and they wanted to make a home that was equally THEIRS as husband and wife and since going out to work and bring income into the home was seen as the deciding factor that gave someone say in decision making and ownerhip of the home... of course they wanted to! It was natural that this happened! God didn't give women a brain with any less wishes and desires than men. Men want to have nice home that they can call 'their's' and so do women! Men want to have say in what happens to their home and family, and so do women! Why is that such a surprise to you? If women were meant to be subservient and not desire to have any control or say in things, they would have been created like Stepford Wives (I highly recomend watching that movie as many of you would seem to like the stepford version of the wife... a robot with no mind of their own. In the movie the actual wives were killed, and replaced by an identical looking robot that was subservient in every way and did everything that was demanded of them without question....but they were no longer human, replaced instead by a robot.)

Back to the Video's message:

Mai Bhago even before she actually went to battle, WANTED to contribute in a meaningful way...she obviously did not see housework as being meaningful in the same way as fighting for the Khalsa. (this is the devaluation of women I meant) And the men were the ones who made this statement. That their calling to fight was seen as higher than 'women's work' Fighting was glorified and made to seem a much higher contribution to khalsa panth than cleaning a house and cooking. Mai Bhago wanted to be part of that, wanted to contribute in a meaningful and direct way...and she voiced many times before she actually said enough is enough when the men deserted Guru Ji. She did not want to be told 'you're a woman you can't do this now go cook me dinner' and in the end she did not listen to that and went anyway and LEAD the men. It's a powerful message to Sikh girls. That they too CAN contribute in the same ways as men. That they can also be seen to be contributing in a meaningful and direct way. They don't have to stay on sidelines. And that if they want to, they can do so without anyone telling them otherwise. The message was "It's not a matter of men allowing or disallowing women to do things, it's a matter of the women standing up and claiming their equal place side by side with men" and it's true... men will never give women equal opportunity. Women have to just stand up and demand their euqal position. And there is nothing in Gurbani that says its wrong to do so...

This is the difference between Patriarchialism and Feminism....

Patriarchy = Man wants everything for himself, all property, all power, all decision making, and all control, all say and women subordinate

Feminism = does not want to put men subordinate, but merely wants to see women on equal level as men and having equal say and control over family / societal affairs, equal ownership and say over family property etc.

Feminism is MUCH MUCH more fair than Patriarchy!

Now, Matriarchy would be the female equivalent of Patriarchy... which would seek to suborindate men and put women dominant. Feminism should actually be called 'equalism' because it advocates equality for BOTH genders. Most so called feminists only want to have equal say and control... not usurp ALL say and control from men. So feminism is the actual neutral position and the most fair.

I don't want to see men OR women put into subordinate position. I just want to see women and men given equal opportunity, equal voice in things, a home should be both husband and wife not just the husbands (or else she would always feel like a stranger or 'guest' there). Ideally men should want a HOME with a loving family not a 'house' with a servant and live in maid / nanny, who bows to them as God and has sex with them on demand (aka Stepford wife / robot)

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Patriarchy = Man wants everything for himself, all property, all power, all decision making, and all control, all say and women subordinate

Who created patriarchy ? How come Indira Gandhi , Benazir Bhutto , Khaleda Zia became rulers of patriarchal societies if men want women to become subordinate. There are plenty of very powerful women leaders in India and in Patriarchal societies , how come they achieve power ?

India has democracy so by vote... But it's still small minority.

It wasn't me who brought up feminism etc someone else did. All I said was Mai Bhago was uplifting story for Sikh girls who don't want to be told by men they can't do something simply because they are a girl.

Until some jumped on it and 'shat' (as someone else said) all over the positive message crying feminism.... I simply pointed out that what people keep calling feminism would really be matriarchy while feminism is really 'equalism'

According to someone on here

1 Women's place is stuck in the house doing domestic work for him
2 in the house that is HIS among all HIS possessions because he's the one who works so it's HIS income
3 therefore all the decisions regarding family and home are HIS to make, she has no say and
4 since everything is HIS and she is basically a guest in HIS house she should
5 respect and bow to him as her master meaning she must be obedient, and
6 that somehow this arrangement is supposed to be all rainbows and unicorns for the woman

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

If there was birth of these jokes then what about birth of these quotes

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

....well. ...I guess it depends. ...I mean, what kind of fish are we talking about here? And, for that matter, what kind of bike?