Uplifting Video For Sikh Girls

CdnSikhGirl

I think many men these days participare equally in kitchen if not less.

I make my own roti and paraunthi when no ones home. lol

Actually, in a strict monastic/bibek type of living, a man washes his own utensils/clothes and eats food cooked by their own hands. Baba Jagjit Singh Ji Harkhowal wale are one example, who prepares food with their own hands.

Sorry, going off topic..

Women... put down those rotis and step out of the kitchen, and start following your own dreams too!

Let me translate.

Women leave your own kitchen and go work in someone else's kitchen that you do not own. Power!

Women instead of hearing loving compliments from family, go fulfill sales target for a stranger. Freedom!

I think many men these days participare equally in kitchen if not less.

I make my own roti and paraunthi when no ones home. lol

Actually, in a strict monastic/bibek type of living, a man washes his own utensils/clothes and eats food cooked by their own hands. Baba Jagjit Singh Ji Harkhowal wale are one example, who prepares food with their own hands.

Sorry, going off topic..

Ragmaala

I think most men would love to stay at home, meditate, do some cooking, gardening, work/repair on a car, arts, music, philosophy, lifting weights or just plain chilling on the hammock.

Most men would love to do light things and focus on relaxation and growth, while pushing through challenge on their own terms.

But this is not the reality. Someone needs to go out to earn in order to provide for a place where relaxation and growth is possible. Someone has to bust their ass working for someone else, doing high-paying, high-stress, dangerous jobs they mostly hate. Day-in-day out. This is the reality for most men.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Bhagat, I definitely agree with you on the reality part. If a man doesn't work hard to earn a living, he wont have the time and resources to even enjoy or relax. It is sad but true.

There are only few who already have the resources for which they worked hard or inherited, and can do anything with their leisure time. Or others who are so mentally strong , or spiritually uplifed that it does not matter to them if they get to eat or not, they are only focused on one goal & God Himself has to provide for them.

But yes, talking about reality , A man has to provide for himself & others which may or may not leave time for him to relax or meditate.

I wasn't talking about menial jobs... in the video, the little girl wants to become an astronaut. But whether it's astronaut, doctor, lawyer, CEO or owner of their own company, artist, etc. a girl should be empowered, and not discouraged as the Dad in the video did. If you work hard at something you can achieve your goals. They don't necessarily mean cooking for someone else in yet another kicthen, or a sales girl. Are you implying girls can not achieve the same heights as men? If they want to... at least let them aim for their dreams too... instead of telling them their place is at home in the kitchen (suggesting they can only ever do simple menial things).

Look at me... I joined the Canadian Navy when not many women were in the navy yet in hard sea trades. I also became one of the first 4 women to qualify to sail on submarines. I WANTED to do these things... not because I 'had to bring home money'. Not all careers are done just for bringing home money. I WANTED to contribute to the country in a meaningful way. I wanted to be part of natural disaster response around the world and help others (and not by just cooking... in fact I HATE cooking if you have not figured out yet), but I'd rather be out there lifting sandbags to stop flooding, offloading supplies, providing medical first response to casualties in the center of the disaster. I just wasn't born to be stuck in a kitchen slaving over a stove all day, doing the vcuuming, scrubbing toilets, and changing dirty diapers. I may be in a woman's body, but if these things I do are considered for only men then maybe I have the soul of a man.

Men are naturally more attracted to heavy labour jobs because of the testosterone. Many of the men who work in construction etc. want to be there because they love building things. They don't just do it because they 'have to'. Some do because they can't get higher paying careers or the career of their dreams. But most of those who REALLY work for it can get a career that makes them HAPPY to go to every day.

A Doctor gets to heal people... a lawyer gets to help people in bad situations, physiotherapist gets to help people recover from accidents and reclaim their independence, a museum curator gets to relive world history over and over which they love...

You cant say all jobs are menial and just for bringing home money.

My point is if a girl has aspirations to be a doctor etc she should not be told her place is in the kitchen doing menial tasks because she is a woman and therefore 'simple' (implying she is incapable of acheiving things).

Bhagat, I definitely agree with you on the reality part. If a man doesn't work hard to earn a living, he wont have the time and resources to even enjoy or relax. It is sad but true.

There are only few who already have the resources for which they worked hard or inherited, and can do anything with their leisure time. Or others who are so mentally strong , or spiritually uplifed that it does not matter to them if they get to eat or not, they are only focused on one goal & God Himself has to provide for them.

But yes, talking about reality , A man has to provide for himself & others which may or may not leave time for him to relax or meditate.

Or even do what he wants to do, maybe he wants to lift weights, train and wrestle.

There are movies like this on office space speaking to men to do that which they love. The guy has an epiphany and he leaves his job and does what he loves.

However for most men this is not possible because they have families. People depend on him to stick to a shitty job he hates so that they can eat. It's as simple as that.

Women today are working so that they can do just this. Cost of living keeps going up and women need to join the marketplace to earn a second income to support their families.

It's great for the government to be able to tax people and separate them from their kids. It's the system, it's not condusive to anyone's well-being.

Back then societies could focus on well-being of women and children at the expense of men. Nowadays, society focuses on the well-being of some systems at the expense of women and children, and especially men.

It's literally 'Matrix' out there.

----

Satkirin

They don't necessarily mean cooking for someone else in yet another kicthen, or a sales girl.

You really ought to read beyond the words. In a job you are working under "someone else's kitchen", no matter what job you do. Whatever you do in the comfort of your own home is your own. Whatever you do at the job is on someone else's turf, under their terms and whims. You are gone if they want you gone, you slave if they want you to slave.

If it's not sales target it's some other job requirement. You are fulfilling someone else. Not your family, not yourself but someone company, some strangers or the government.

This is not power or freedom. Men do not consider this power or freedom, and those who do are deluded.

Most jobs are menial jobs. Most men and women out there are doing menial jobs. 90% of the population is doing shit they don't want to do anymore. 90% of the population wishes that they could do what they wanted for themselves.

Look at me...

I stopped reading at this point. I know you love the attention but this is not about you.

The reality is we have more freedom at home. I am happy if you want to go out an earn and pick up the load. But to pretend that it's all great and happy-go-tappy, la la land is bullshit.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Satkirin,

I think regardless of the gender, male or female, if a person has the necessary talent, intelligence, passion or zeal towardsa particular goal , it can be achieved. Yes, there maybe obstacles which will be different for a person. Every individual is unique and will carve a unique path for her/himself.

In my close family circles, all the girls are being encouraged to pursue higher education or their passion. I have not seen a family which tells the girl to not study and just stay at kitchen or home. I think gone are the days atleast in my views, when women were just staying at home. Infact, in canda, for indian families, both man and woman has to work to run the house. Sometimes , it is not even a choice, its a financial necessity.

My point is that no one tells a girl these days to stay at home if she wants to become a doctor or astronaut. In fact, it is the opposite, indian parents first wants their daughte to become a doctor, if not then settle for a dentist, then settle being an engineer or a teacher, or atleast complete higher education. Atleast that is my experience.

Edited by Ragmaala

In my close family circles, all the girls are being encouraged to pursue higher education or their passion. I have not seen a family which tells the girl to not study and just stay at kitchen or home. I think gone are the days atleast in my views, when women were just staying at home. Infact, in canda, for indian families, both man and woman has to work to run the house. Sometimes , it is not even a choice, its a financial necessity.

My point is that no one tells a girl these days to stay at home if she wants to become a doctor or astronaut. In fact, it is the opposite, indian parents first wants their daughte to become a doctor, if not then settle for a dentist, then settle being an engineer or a teacher, or atleast complete higher education. Atleast that is my experience.

This has been my observation as well.

I think regardless of the gender, male or female, if a person has the necessary talent, intelligence, passion or zeal towardsa particular goal , it can be achieved. Yes, there maybe obstacles which will be different for a person. Every individual is unique and will carve a unique path for her/himself.

Exactly. Everyone has obstacles and challenges that they need to overcome. They need to prioritize some things and sacrifice other things. And if they want something that is hard to get, they'll have to work for it or it won't come to them.

I wasn't talking about menial jobs... in the video, the little girl wants to become an astronaut. But whether it's astronaut, doctor, lawyer, CEO or owner of their own company, artist, etc. a girl should be empowered, and not discouraged as the Dad in the video did. If you work hard at something you can achieve your goals. They don't necessarily mean cooking for someone else in yet another kicthen, or a sales girl. Are you implying girls can not achieve the same heights as men? If they want to... at least let them aim for their dreams too... instead of telling them their place is at home in the kitchen (suggesting they can only ever do simple menial things).

And you think Indian parents allow boys to choose whatever career they like ? Indian parents just force their boys to choose most financial lucrative career even if they don't like it.that's why you see performance of indian boys in sports is so dismissal

Well then I think joth should be allowed to follow what career they'd like. Though honestly if my kids ever chose something like pumping gas or janitor as their high aspirations yes I'd probably try to get them to aim a little higher too. Only because I'd want them to have the best life possible and not live in poverty.

Well then I think joth should be allowed to follow what career they'd like. Though honestly if my kids ever chose something like pumping gas or janitor as their high aspirations yes I'd probably try to get them to aim a little higher too. Only because I'd want them to have the best life possible and not live in poverty.

What if pumping gas or being a janitor or driving a can or truck is their dream job? Then what? What if they don't want to do anything you want them? Then what?

Or even do what he wants to do, maybe he wants to lift weights, train and wrestle.

There are movies like this on office space speaking to men to do that which they love. The guy has an epiphany and he leaves his job and does what he loves.

However for most men this is not possible because they have families. People depend on him to stick to a shitty job he hates so that they can eat. It's as simple as that.

Women today are working so that they can do just this. Cost of living keeps going up and women need to join the marketplace to earn a second income to support their families.

It's great for the government to be able to tax people and separate them from their kids. It's the system, it's not condusive to anyone's well-being.

Back then societies could focus on well-being of women and children at the expense of men. Nowadays, society focuses on the well-being of some systems at the expense of women and children, and especially men.

It's literally 'Matrix' out there.

----

Satkirin

You really ought to read beyond the words. In a job you are working under "someone else's kitchen", no matter what job you do. Whatever you do in the comfort of your own home is your own. Whatever you do at the job is on someone else's turf, under their terms and whims. You are gone if they want you gone, you slave if they want you to slave.

If it's not sales target it's some other job requirement. You are fulfilling someone else. Not your family, not yourself but someone company, some strangers or the government.

This is not power or freedom. Men do not consider this power or freedom, and those who do are deluded.

Most jobs are menial jobs. Most men and women out there are doing menial jobs. 90% of the population is doing shit they don't want to do anymore. 90% of the population wishes that they could do what they wanted for themselves.

I stopped reading at this point. I know you love the attention but this is not about you.

The reality is we have more freedom at home. I am happy if you want to go out an earn and pick up the load. But to pretend that it's all great and happy-go-tappy, la la land is bullshit.

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have read in a long time. This shows the truth.

What if pumping gas or being a janitor or driving a can or truck is their dream job? Then what? What if they don't want to do anything you want them? Then what?

I wouldn't stop them... but as a child I would try to suggest they aim a little higher... those jobs can always be fallen back upon because they don't require any education to do. Suggesting they should focus on higher education is more about giving them MORE choice when they grow up.... no matter what that choice ultimately is.

In the video, the Dad / boys at the school are trying to tell the girl that she should not focus on higher education because they are suggesting as a female she won't need it.

The video is supposed to be positive and I can't believe you guys have turned it into something negative...

I would love to stay home and be a house man if I could but men don't get that opportunity.

Not true! I know several people who since she was making more, he stayed home with the kids :) It DOES happen! And it works for them!

Don't forget: IN the past being the one staying at home also meant no say in family affairs, or financial etc. And a lot of being put down as being 'simple' and thought of as not being able to do anything else but menial and mindless tasks. Theres a reason women started fighting back and it wasnt because they were supported as being equal contributors to the family. They were HIGHLY undervalued.... The husbands brought the money home, so the husbands got the full say in everything and used it against their wives as justification for having full say in whatever happened in the family.

If they agree that both whoever works outside and who stays home are equal contributors and the money brought in is controlled equally and decisions made equally then it could work a lot better but it wasn't like that at all. So staying at home traditionally was not all unicorns and rainbows like someone above mentioned. It meant having no say in family affairs, being seen as simple and inferior and incapable, having no control over finances, and having to be at the becking call of the husband who retained all control over everything. And hence... the birth of the 'sammich' jokes, or the jokes about women not needing a watch because the stove has one, etc etc.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

But what's the percentage? More men work than women and you know it. If the women take our jobs I would be happy to stay home and do all the hobbies I like.

Read the edited part I put above... you posted before I could add it. Its not all unicorns and rainbows being the one to stay at home...

Actually staying at home is all rainbows and unicorns.

Then if you want to that option is open to you. Discuss with your wife and decide... it has worked for many families.

You could also look into working from home... or starting abusiness together so you can both stay home.