Sri Gur Sobha: authenticity & dating

SikhKhoj

Ganda Singh quotes it. What he forgets to quote is some differences between those 2 Granths and Gur sobha. He could've done it if he already had those books at his disposal.

And Amardeep: Negative minded ya critical? Chal bai tu hi publish karla papers apne. No sarcasm, tera paper is a good job. Just try to be more critical.

I won't name some of them because they are no more, but some historians edited manuscripts badly before publishing them. And I am not only talking about Panth Parkash but many other Granths. Just because of some vested interests, to prove certain theories they made changes. I am not saying this without evidence, I have had personal talks with several scholars who have confirmed some bad things (omitting, changing paragraphs, etc) about some of our respected 'scholars'.

All of us who've got more than a passing interest in Sikh ithihaas should know some of this went on. If you don't, then sorry, but I have to say you may have your heads in the clouds. 

Our generations task is to identify these alterations (where possible) and recognise the impact that it has had on our collective understanding of Sikh history.  

Dal: You know it went on, then don't support Amardeep saying we are negating historians contribution.

Look, I know academia. We build on previous contributions - if only to refute and correct previously held notions. That is what we are doing here and now.

The whole Singh Sabha thing and how some 'scholars' therein represented things to fit particular worldviews/agendas needs to be contextualised within the socio-political pressures of the time. You are right to highlight and question the actions of certain historians, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that progress has been made.  Whatever weaknesses they had, it is for the new generation to point out and ameliorate

This agenda driven approach to history is (sadly) a norm. Look at Anglos and their kartootan for example. I'd say even NOW, with people like J S Grewal (let alone institutes like the SGPC),  there is still an agenda driven approach to history in Sikh circles. 

If anything WE should be happy that some people are moving more and more closer to the truth (or at least trying to). This is the cutting edge of Sikh historiography. 

You and Amardeep need to chill a bit and just put your info out without the excessive jabs being thrown around. I like a little combative discussion myself, but don't let things degenerate into nothing but insults. 

Dalsingh: his head is not in the clouds. It is way higher, somewhere up there near the sun, thinking he is the one who illuminates the world.

​I know his style of communication can be irritating at times, but let's not fail to acknowledge the validity of some of his points. 

In terms of intellectual discussion of historiography, the thread has been the best on the forum for some time.

Dalsingh: He keeps dragging discussions down to kinder garden level because he doesnt read what people write but instead make up stuff in his mind, put words in people's mouths, make conclusions that are not there etc... Try to notice that every single debate he is in, he starts arguing with people or people get irritated with him and start arguing with him. He is a little twat, - i seriosly think there is something mentally wrong with him.

Edited by amardeep

Are you a phuddu irl too? If GS Mann says world is flat will you refer to him (scholar) and do bakwas even if you can't say anything against my arguments?

Last post. Readers can judge that besides my harsh words my arguments were valid and you chickened out for the third time. What kind of person links Sukha Singh Patnas work to Misls (Punjab). Geography classes would help. Also some logical reasoning, wtf was that bakwas about Pandit Narotam being influenced by the anti Dasam soch. lol he has a Pandit attached to his name, he found Hemkunt Sahib, he definitely is influenced by the anti Dasam soch hahahahah. Stop making a fool out of yourself.

Edited by SikhKhoj

Let's keep it focused. 

I'm here to learn. 

Suggestion/request: if people are going to write in Panjabi (i.e. Sikhkhoj) could they please type up the comments in Gurmukhi. It's easier to read that way.

Amardeep tolerate it a bit maybe(?), lets keep focused on the core of the discussion. I've always though Ganda Singh's identification was a bit on thin ground. He may be right, Gursobha may have been written by THAT Sainapati, but who knows, it may be a mistaken correlation? 

Sikhkhoj, tone it down mate!! Don't ruin an important and fascinating topic by getting overly personal. 

Dal, depends on the number of topics I will to include. Have done about 3. Might limit myself to 5 each time. Also depends on free time, access to some manuscripts and some scholars for their inputs or help for translation.

Mardeep: Because some people try to be objective instead of being lazy and relying on 'scholars'.

Two other sources that need serious study are the Rehatnama Chaupa Singh and the Prem Sumarag Granth. I believe some parts of Chaupa Singh might date back to the first half of the 18th century. Prem Sumarg might also be much older than we thought previously.

​What kind of study are you thinking of? 

But the current Rehat is not written by one author, there are conflicting internal views, a biography of Dasam Pita which is not in place etc

The biography bit is really fascinating. More than the rehat.

It is quite short, what is so interesting about it? The years & other things mentioned are not probable and neither supported by any other source.

Mcleod worked with 4 manuscripts for his book. I know of 9 extant ones. Maybe I could do some good work on the subject.

I seem to agree with Gurinder Mann when he says that the biography part seems out of place in the Rehatnama.